Would You Loan It Out?

/ Would You Loan It Out? #241  
The OP got a life lesson many of us have also learned the hard way. Lesson easy to talk about but usually requires real time experience to appreciate.
I help out people not because I want back something in return but because that’s what good people do. Being good people is also learning when to say no to neighbors, friends, family, children, and dogs to help them be their best too.

Never lend out what you cannot afford to lose.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #242  
I gave my mom a key to my place, in case she needed a place to rest or cool off when she came into town to see the doctor.

Somehow the younger brother ended up with my key. He would come by and borrow tools, when I wasn’t home.

He borrowed my Bosch power plane to trim doors at Mom’s house. It didn't come home. I asked him a few times. And he didn’t bring it back. I needed it for a project, so I bought a new one.

He was really pissed when he opened his Christmas present, and discovered that all the Bosche box contained was, the plastic case, and a few parts for the plane he hadn’t returned. He had the tool, so I gave him the case, and accessories which went with it for Christmas, and quit worrying about him ever giving it back.

After I left Moms to go hme he had a temper tantrum about me being an azzhat, for doing it. The big sisters sat him down and had a talk with him.

He hasn’t just taken my things since.
I hope you also changed you locks.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #243  
True story on the PTO lengths.
I have a wheeled PTO driven seed/fertilizer spreader.

family member needed it for their large fields.

I was busy using my tractor and they had inherited Dad's restored JD model R and we all thought it should work.

They picked up the spreader and they got the job of fertilizing done, but said the R started making a bunch of grinding sounds with the PTO running the spreader.

Driveshaft must have been just a bit to long and my guess was when turning it was jamming the shaft against the PTO support bearings.

The R still runs- but if they plan to run the PTO the tractor will need some bearings and maybe some other parts replaced.

I have used the spreader since then and it didn't seem to affect it's bearings.

My worry as posted before is that this borrower sounds like the type that would blame the guy he borrowed the implement from, if he damages his new tractor.

I would not blame Branson either if they denied coverage for a similar outcome as the families Model Rs damaged PTO
Also I really doubt Branson would approve of running that big of tiller on that size model.

Heck you may be doing this person a favor by no longer allowing your tiller to be mounted up to his as it is set up for your tractor.
was in dealer last summer (late) getting woods themselves along with dealer involved with odd noise as well as vent leak on woods 48.30 tiller (all good, one tine was loose even with correct torque they fixed ) and he showed me another GC unit where a person with a quick hitch (4" longer pto shaft) loaned a bush hog to a NON quick hitch Masey GC series.
snapped the pto output shaft off tractor as well as cracked rear of hydro case.
and twisted the pro shaft up.
gearbox on hog ok, but hog owner realized then that there is a REASON why woods says check your slip clutches although THIS damage most likely not due to clutch but shaft suddenly going nuts all over the place.

/ Would You Loan It Out?
WOW!! This thread blew up!

Like someone mentioned before, I think that because its resonates so well with everyone. I suspect that each of you, even the ones who have said they "never lend anything out, ever!" have loaned out something to someone at sometime. BUT, that's neither here or there. I'll continue to help those who need help. If that's doing the work, or loaning things out to TRUSTED individuals. That's my nature.

For all that missed it, I did get my tiller back! I drove the roughly 10 minutes down the road (in my slow tractor) to pick it up. It was unhooked in his driveway. I hooked up (using the hooks and balls, took me longer to hook up the PTO shaft than the 3pt) and drove the roughly 10 minutes home. I brought it up to the shop, hosed it off, and started inspecting it for damage. I didn't notice any. The oils looked good, the u-joints looked good. No dents, dings, or foreign objects wrapped around the tiller. I unhooked it in my lower lot, and went back to my other projects.

Since many of you noticed that my wife called me an idiot. She DID! She called me an idiot because she saw that I was upset. She knows NOTHING about implements or tractors. But she saw that I was having a hard time with my decision, a decision I already knew was a mistake, she said something along the lines of "Next time, don't be an idiot."

I'm the type of person, that, when asked, will do anything for you. Perfect stranger or best friend. If you ask for my help, there is a big chance that I will help you if I can. And yes, I've been taken advantage of. But most of the time, my help is paid back in some manor, be that with money, favors, or help in return. Example: I made a video of my new driveway (go check it out, link in my signature line). I casually mention that I'm "getting the hook up, from a friend who owns a landscaping supply business." He is also a neighbor! Lives about 15 minutes in the other direction of parasite neighbor. I've done many things for my helpful neighbor, his wife and mine are friends, our kids play together, and he basically installed my driveway (graded the hardpan, laid down a base, then topped it with gravel) for next to nothing! I had to pay the wages of the truck drivers and the grader operator. If I never helped out this neighbor, loaning him tools or implements, my time, etc, then I would have had to pay upwards of $20k for that road (thats what he quoted my neighbor whom I share the driveway with).

I've learned my lesson with parasite neighbors. I wont lend anything to him again. However, if YOU moved in next door, a perfect stranger, and you ask me to borrow my tiller, I'd probably let you have it.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #246  
Avenger, if I were your neighbor, I would never ask to borrow your stuff, but would gladly pay you whatever you wanted to do the job I needed done. It,s been an interesting thread, and glad to see that even though you had to go and pick up your own implement, it wasn,t damaged. Cheers

/ Would You Loan It Out? #247  
WOW!! This thread blew up!

Like someone mentioned before, I think that because its resonates so well with everyone. I suspect that each of you, even the ones who have said they "never lend anything out, ever!" have loaned out something to someone at sometime. BUT, that's neither here or there. I'll continue to help those who need help. If that's doing the work, or loaning things out to TRUSTED individuals. That's my nature.

For all that missed it, I did get my tiller back! I drove the roughly 10 minutes down the road (in my slow tractor) to pick it up. It was unhooked in his driveway. I hooked up (using the hooks and balls, took me longer to hook up the PTO shaft than the 3pt) and drove the roughly 10 minutes home. I brought it up to the shop, hosed it off, and started inspecting it for damage. I didn't notice any. The oils looked good, the u-joints looked good. No dents, dings, or foreign objects wrapped around the tiller. I unhooked it in my lower lot, and went back to my other projects.

Since many of you noticed that my wife called me an idiot. She DID! She called me an idiot because she saw that I was upset. She knows NOTHING about implements or tractors. But she saw that I was having a hard time with my decision, a decision I already knew was a mistake, she said something along the lines of "Next time, don't be an idiot."

I'm the type of person, that, when asked, will do anything for you. Perfect stranger or best friend. If you ask for my help, there is a big chance that I will help you if I can. And yes, I've been taken advantage of. But most of the time, my help is paid back in some manor, be that with money, favors, or help in return. Example: I made a video of my new driveway (go check it out, link in my signature line). I casually mention that I'm "getting the hook up, from a friend who owns a landscaping supply business." He is also a neighbor! Lives about 15 minutes in the other direction of parasite neighbor. I've done many things for my helpful neighbor, his wife and mine are friends, our kids play together, and he basically installed my driveway (graded the hardpan, laid down a base, then topped it with gravel) for next to nothing! I had to pay the wages of the truck drivers and the grader operator. If I never helped out this neighbor, loaning him tools or implements, my time, etc, then I would have had to pay upwards of $20k for that road (thats what he quoted my neighbor whom I share the driveway with).

I've learned my lesson with parasite neighbors. I wont lend anything to him again. However, if YOU moved in next door, a perfect stranger, and you ask me to borrow my tiller, I'd probably let you have it.
irony is me and all my neighbors are the same way. we loan stuff to each other.
but there are CERTAIN items you need to watch for.
pto driven stuff is one.
way too many people never think about class differences in 3pt stuff, pto trimming in that subset, etc.
got a good friend with a GC series (pure class 1 3pt) selling stuff to another friend with a CUT frame style tractor (usually class II 3pt) that ACTUALLY uses a class 1 3pt.
both were a little taken aback when I started pushing for tractor details. since the equip sitting on my property I could force the issue.
friend buying said my tractor frame larger than yours. I say yeah...so you know the difference between Class I and II and how to use bushings/etc? um...no...
give the the model of that TYM tractor.
did it, made sure the CUT style frame uses a SCUT type class 1 3pt.

people don't think.
far too often they think any 3pt item will fit any other 3pt item.
dangerous.
especially when that 3pt item is PTO driven.

/ Would You Loan It Out? #249  
What the hell is going on with you people? I leave you alone for a day or so and the thread is up to almost 250 entries😂😂😂🇺🇦☮️✌🏻
we got nothing better to do 😥😢😭😿
or....we've all paid the price being generous for neighbors.
sad thing is...its a 50/50 mix for me and it will always be that way.