Would you return a defective $2.99 item?

/ Would you return a defective $2.99 item? #31  
I am getting cheaper the last couple years. In times past if I needed 10# of deck screws I would likely buy a 25# box for possible future use. I would just store them in the bins at home. Might be good for 10 years before they are used up.

Same with over buying plumbing or electrical parts. Same with plywood or lumber. It generally gets used up in time.

Now if I overbought a few bolts or 2x4s or electrical fittings of some sort I will likely take them back if they allow it. I have bought an odd sized bolt for 5o cents and have taken it back because it would get lost in the garage anyway. If I was overcharged a dime I would bring it up. It seems I am never under charged for anything.

I am not concerned if it was my fault for overbuying because of plan changes or just screwing up, extra stuff will go back. Faulty stuff will go back even if it was any amount.
same here. Used to be a 1.5 hr round trip to get parts if needed. So I tended to store up lots of possibly needed spare parts over the years. Then I could never find it when needed.
now i halve a hardware store 8 minutes from me, so I stopped storing parts. Home Depot and Lowes gets a lot of parts back from me now days. Now that I’m retired I’m also getting to get rid of a heck of alot of spare electrical parts and gaining back shelf space.

/ Would you return a defective $2.99 item?
Even if the store's only 10 minutes away it's always been worth it to keep a few extra elbows, tee's, and repair joints on hand "just in case." Now though everything is going to Pex, rendering all of those spare parts out of date. I was watching the plumber install a new outside faucet at my mother's house last week and commented what a potpourri the pipes had become over the years... copper going into PVC, then feeding into pex. He said that they hate copper and pex is far better than PVC.

/ Would you return a defective $2.99 item? #34  
I needed packing tape to hold a 30lb box together for return shipping, and bought a roll of duct tape at the local surplus/salvage store. (Mardens. to any Maine residents) It was "Military approved, 200 mph tape, Made in USA". I got out to the truck and discovered there was virtually no adhesive. After ripping off several feet trying to get to the mother lode I went back inside to the service desk and asked for a refund.
We were at Marden's over the weekend, and I thought of your post when I passed the tape section.

I'd be leery of buying "perishable" stuff there like tape, caulking, spray paint, batteries, etc. figuring that they were probably past their "sell by" date.

For anyone not familiar with the chain, it's a store that deals with surplus and/or distressed merchandise. Good deals can be had, but you've got to be careful. The store we go to has a very good selection of fabric...my wife makes a beeline for that dept. every time we visit. Matter of fact, I picked up some I'm going to use to try to redo the headliner in my truck with...cost maybe 25% of what it would at a fabric store.

/ Would you return a defective $2.99 item? #35  
Even if the store's only 10 minutes away it's always been worth it to keep a few extra elbows, tee's, and repair joints on hand "just in case." Now though everything is going to Pex, rendering all of those spare parts out of date. I was watching the plumber install a new outside faucet at my mother's house last week and commented what a potpourri the pipes had become over the years... copper going into PVC, then feeding into pex. He said that they hate copper and pex is far better than PVC.
Yeah, I used pex when I re-plumbed my house a few years ago. Piece of cake. The ID is a bit smaller than the same size in copper, so I did it all using 3/4".
There was some pre-assembly required since the crimpers don't get into small places well, and I was too cheap to go with sharkbites.

/ Would you return a defective $2.99 item? #36  
Maybe, maybe not. I certainly have done so in the past. NOT if it would cost me more than the refund, plus the time.

Also, realize, when you try and buy stuff cheap, or save money, sometimes it backfires. I put water early in my hot tub a month ago when we had some shorts, no shirt weather. I wanted the ambiant heat to heat the cold ground water used to fill the tub, to save from heating it with electricity. It's been so cold, that I have spent ten times, or more, on anything I ever saved, by trying to keep the thing from freezing, on a dozen occassions!

Also, back to the tape, consider the cost, emotional and timewise to OTHER people.

/ Would you return a defective $2.99 item? #37  
Yeah, I used pex when I re-plumbed my house a few years ago. Piece of cake. The ID is a bit smaller than the same size in copper, so I did it all using 3/4".
There was some pre-assembly required since the crimpers don't get into small places well, and I was too cheap to go with sharkbites.
I replaced my CPVC last fall with PEX because I had 4 leaks and one break in as many years. Used clamps which work great. I got sick of buying CPVC extra fittings for when I had another leak. Some fittings were from 1978 with my first house build. I must have a shoe box full of CPVC fittings I will sell cheap, plus many PEX fittings in storage for just in case. One sharkbite disconnectable fitting used. Two expensive. More time than money.