Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual?

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual? #11  
Re: Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner\'s Manual?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( first oil change should be at 5 hours as the service manual says, and not 50 hours as the owner's manual says. )</font>

<font color="green">Isn't the service manual talking about running with break-in oil only 5 hours for rebuilt or remanufactured engines, not new engines?

If so then the operators manual is correct in telling you to go 50 hours before the oil change because you have a new engine in your new tractor not a rebuilt or remanufactured engine.

I don't see the discrepancy between the two manuals as they are making reference to different situations.

Mike </font>

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual?

Mhalla. Unless the manufacturer has some procedure in place to "break-in" new engines there and deliver them that way, a new engine and a re-built are precisely the same situation. In new or re-built engines both the piston rings and the cylinder bore are effectively "new" surfaces and need time (and an appropriate lubricant) to mutually hone each other and adjust to imperfections resulting in a more perfect seal. I will concede that the manufacturing tolerances at the factory might be better, but I would expect that to allow quicker break-in, not longer. If they do indeed ship with break-in oil installed, the 5 hour number still makes the most sense to me.

I did change the oil and filter today and was surprised when the engine burned oil (blue exhaust smoke) for about 2 minutes after the change, then cleared up. I have no logical explaination for this except that perhaps the oil filler allows oil into some place it doesn't normally occupy.

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual? #13  

I've bought a new JD and a new Kubota in the last 2 years. Both manufacturers recommend the first oil & filter change at 50 hours.

I run Mobil 1 which has a classification of SL/CF. This covers all the bases.

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual? #14  

I changed my oils at 50 hours. It seemed a long interval to me but I hung in there as I read that any sooner could impact the seating of the pistons etc. What I did notice though was that the original hydraulic oil was thinner than the replacement oil. So it could be that they use a break in oil on the hydraulics. This view was kinda of reinforced by a reduction in the HST whine. Love my 2210 but the vagueness, omissions and errors in the manuals is terrible. For example, they indicate that the next service is at 200 hours. Even if was using the pure Amsoil synthetic that came out of a cut glass decanter I wouldnt leave such a gap between changes on a engine that is be subject to heavy work loads

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual? #15  

I contacted Deere directly via their website Q&A form. Here is their response:

The area of the TM (technical manual) being quoted is related to rebuilt or remanufactured engines and non-recommended John Deere oils. For these two conditions, they should change at five hours and for a factory engines following the fifty hours called out in the OM (Operator's Manual).

The unit was delivered with break-in engine oil and will require a fifty hour service.

Deere still hadn't called me back, so I called them yesterday. The tech said that he'd talked to engineering, and that he still had to talk to the tech writer, but was having trouble getting his attention. He still promises he'll call be back when he has the straight scoop. (Har, har, a little FEL humor there.)

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual? #17  

My response from Deere was confirmed verified with an engineer.

Deere customer service finally got back to me. although is was a different representative. Seems the guy that helped me before "Is no longer with the company"...hmmm.

Anyway, she confirmed that the Owner's Manual Oil recommendation is WRONG, and that the proper grade of oil is CH-4 or CG-4 like it says in the Technical Manual. She said they would be fixing the Owner's Manual, but I don't guess I'll hold my breath.

She did not answer the question about what type of oil the tractor is shipped with, so I asked her if she could find out. She said she would, and I'll post the result here.

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual? #19  

Your Deere shipped with Break-in oil. All the Yanmars do. Just let it run to 50 hours and go with the JD oils

/ Wrong Oil Recommendation in 2210 Owner's Manual? #20  

Ralph,

I would recommend using Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic 5w - 40 w. Delvac 1 synthetic was designed just for diesel engines. This oil is a couple steps up from regular Mobil 1 which is basically a gas engine motor oil. Not cheap around $95.00 - $110.00 a case, but this oil holds up under hi heat. One of my trucker friends uses this oil in all he’s trucks with a good double oil filling system and changes oil every 50,000 miles. When he sends he’s oil out for testing, the test show no oil break down and minimal ash build up. We’ve been using Delvac 1 on the farm for years, we usually change our oil on all our tractor including our 2210 ever 100 hour with just a oil filter change at 50 hrs since our filling system is no were as good as a good tractor trailer truck filling system. We just replaced a valve cover gasket on a 650 John Deere and the motor was as clean as a whistle not a bit of sludge under the cover or in the motor. Been told by my friend I could probably do another filter change at 100 hrs and change oil at 150 hrs, but just never had the gusts to do it.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_5W-40.asp