Wrong tool for the job

/ Wrong tool for the job #23  
I thought mine said Front end tree pusher. Hmmm. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

Really have to slap myself on occasion to remind me that a compact tractor is not a bulldozer either. Also, 1969 was a Great Year!

/ Wrong tool for the job
update: the old allis came thru. The stump was a tough little burger. Ended up coming out in pieces. Also, broke a pin on the loader. Either that alot of push force or that is a chinese pin. Tractor backend came up a couple times and that is unusual for it. I've never upset one yet, but dad has upset 2 and grandpa upset an old case tractor once. The little dont worry The darned old stump doesn't even burn worth a too.

/ Wrong tool for the job
update: the old allis came thru. The stump was a tough little burger. Ended up coming out in pieces. Also, broke a pin on the loader. Either that alot of push force or that is a chinese pin. Tractor backend came up a couple times and that is unusual for it. I've never upset one yet, but dad has upset 2 and grandpa upset an old case tractor once. The little dont worry The darned old stump doesn't even burn worth a too.
That ended up a mess. Hit the wrong button. Here is some Pics: IMG_20180406_195344.jpgIMG_20180406_195354.jpgIMG_20180406_195257.jpgIMG_20180406_195311.jpgIMG_20180405_184058.jpgIMG_20180406_195751.jpg

/ Wrong tool for the job #26  
Old timers used to used a mixture of sugar and pot ash. I dont know the recipe formula. I wish i did. But apparently it is highly explosive. Apparently if they got the recipe a little wrong, it turned the stump in to toothpicks. Anyone know the recipe?

I do, but I am NOT putting it online, nor sharing it with ANYONE. Not in today's world, too many crazy people out there.

Explosives were the tool of yesteryear in my opinion and have no place for today except with the experts. I clear a lot of land, and have dealt with my grandfather's out-of-control dynamite fetish of yesteryear, and it has always been a bear. Stumps are unpredictable when explosives are touched off, and rocks shatter into slivers that make it impossible to get a bite on with the blade. Even cleaning up fragmented boulders with an excavator is a pain.

This is 2018; rent equipment that is big enough to do the job as it is available. Toying with explosives is just plain stupid considering the liability. Doesn't anyone remember Austin, Texas two weeks ago?

I dislike using such strong words regarding this, but this sort of foolishness gets people killed. I am compelled to use strong wording, and definitely not apologetic in the least.

/ Wrong tool for the job #27  
Tractor FELs against 14" stumps are a joke. Tractor backhoes aren't much better. A real backhoe and preferably an excavator is leaps and bounds better.

I disagree.
My old Ford 3400 TLB (only 10' hoe) would get that 14' stump out with ease.
I have done 24" trees.
Break the roots off on 2 or 3 sides with the hoe.
Then push as high as possible, and over goes the tree.
Finish rip out with the hoe & thumb. Pick up tree (cut in big pieces) with loader forks.
Haul the tree away to the brush pile.
Curl the bucket, dropping the forks, and get a loader bucket of dirt to fill the hole.
If I were doing 100 trees...certainly an excavator (with a thumb),.... but for a single tree, a suitably sized TLB is far more versatile.

/ Wrong tool for the job #28  
Had a tree i was tired of and decided to push it with the tractor thinking it would up root and i would not have a stump to mow around. Well, as you can see in the photoView attachment 547366View attachment 547367View attachment 547368 it broke about even with the ground. I just told a guy on here that one of these little tractors would dig out a stump. I was totally off base with that idea. I jumped on mf because of ease and operational convenience. The little massey didn't do to good. Not enough hp, push power, hydraulics, and weight. It is not just my little massey, i think any of these little tractors would have trouble. Little tractors are not the right tool for stump removal.

The right way to do that job is chain saw first, then shovel/maul/axe, and THEN the tractor. Like this:

MF135 stump1 (1).JPGMF135 stump2.JPG

That's my 1964 MF135 diesel doing the final step.

Good luck

/ Wrong tool for the job #29  
Just a little digging and a quick push and some more oak firewood ......

5418.jpeg5418~2.jpeg

/ Wrong tool for the job #30  
I do, but I am NOT putting it online, nor sharing it with ANYONE. Not in today's world, too many crazy people out there.

Explosives were the tool of yesteryear in my opinion and have no place for today except with the experts. I clear a lot of land, and have dealt with my grandfather's out-of-control dynamite fetish of yesteryear, and it has always been a bear. Stumps are unpredictable when explosives are touched off, and rocks shatter into slivers that make it impossible to get a bite on with the blade. Even cleaning up fragmented boulders with an excavator is a pain.

This is 2018; rent equipment that is big enough to do the job as it is available. Toying with explosives is just plain stupid considering the liability. Doesn't anyone remember Austin, Texas two weeks ago?

I dislike using such strong words regarding this, but this sort of foolishness gets people killed. I am compelled to use strong wording, and definitely not apologetic in the least.
You can step down from your soap box now.

Fooling around with explosives is no more dangerous today than it was years ago when a lot of us grew up watching our fathers blow stumps and even did a few things we shouldn't have done with dynamite. Could be purchased it at the local hardware store back then.

What makes it more dangerous today is all the crazies today that so called "modern society" has produced. And of course, all the lawyers looking to make an extravagant living at someone else's expense.

It may be 2018, but everyone doesn't have the availability of rental machines or the means and skills to operate the proper equipment that you apparently have.

Oh well, you destroy my soap box now. ;)