X758 Deck leveling problems solved

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #41  
I just purchased a 2014 X734 with 310 hrs. It's got the 54HC deck.

I replaced the spindle bearings and seals and re-leveled the deck. I've been studying my technical manual and the online parts diagrams and have been trying to figure out why the deck is at 2" when it is set to the 2.5" height. Both of the lift arms that are attached to the rock shaft appeared to be at the same orientation. I set the tire pressure per the manual. I started off by adjusting the clearance between the frame and draft arm because I noticed that the draft arm was contacting the frame when in the highest position. I set the clearance to 1/16.

I attached the deck, set the height knob to 2.5", and went through the deck level process by measuring to the blade tips. Adjusting the draft arm clearance had taken care of getting the deck pretty level from side to side but I dropped the right side about 1/16" to get it perfect. I then adjusted the level front to back to get the middle blade tip (when rotated to front of deck) 1/8" lower than the side blades. When the deck was off the tractor, I checked the position of the deck height cam stop to the position of the deck height knob. The cam was at it's lowest step when the knob was adjusted to the lowest cut height.

I checked it at the 2.5" setting and the cam was at the correct position. Checked again at the highest position and they agreed. I re-checked the draft arm clearance to the frame after leveling the deck and the draft arm is within 1/8" on both sides when the deck is fully raised.

Best I can tell, john deere's design prohibits the deck height setting to match the actual blade height. If the draft arm can't be raised any higher without contacting frame, I don't see how the deck could be raised an additional 1/2" to get the actual height to match the deck height knob setting.

Looks like I'll just have to remember that the mower is cutting 1/2" lower than it's setting.

Readability quote.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #44  
Thought I'd drop back in and let you all know what I THINK might be one issue.

The nylon lock nuts (item 16 in the parts diagram) seem very loose. I can move them on the rod by hand (difficult but I can move them). So purchased 2 new lock nuts and they are very tight. Much tighter than the old ones. That COULD explain why the deck adjustment moves in such a short amount of time. The vibrations while running could cause these nuts to back down the rod and the deck could get unlevel I guess. I will put these new ones on, adjust the deck and make a paint mark and see if they move.

However, this still does not explain why I can adjust the deck at one level, say 2 1/2". Then raise it to, say, 3 1/2" and it be unlevel immediately. That has to be some geometry issue I'd think. The little arms (items 21 and 22) are both clocked the same and travel the same through the entire stroke. I took one of them off and the square end of the rockshaft they mate with looks fine. No signs of any wear there. I took the draft arm (17B) off and from my measuring and working with it on a flat surface, it seems fine and not warped or sprung.

If I can get the dang thing to stay level for a decent amount of time, I won't worry about issue number 2. I rarely change mowing heights but maybe twice per year depending on the weather.

Will keep you posted.

Chris

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #45  
you may want to take a look at the front draft arms, maybe something is bent. the rear arms are hooked together. the only way the level would change when raising or lowering the height is if the length of the arms on the rockshaft are different from side to side. I know there were changes in the rockshaft and arms so you may have a hybrid configuration of new and old arms.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #46  
Thanks for the note, I'll check the front draft arms to be sure they are adjusted equally and not bent. I have not measured the length of the rear arms, but you are right, don't see any other way it could lift unevenly. Will report back with any findings and the results of a few mowings in the upcoming weeks.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #47  
Sorry for dredging up an old post, but I think it better than starting new. I have the same uneven arms on my x750. We actually have 2 of these machines in the family. I haven't checked the second unit, but i assume they are same. Reading this thread it sure sounds like the shaft was incorectly built. Always the same direction can't be coincidence. If its the shaft it shoukd be: AM148019. It sure would be nice to see pictures of the shaft with arms attached and set on a flat surface. I hate to buy the shaft though and find out it was actually the bolt on links not indexed properly.

As for making the selector numbe match teh actual cut height it can be done if you add washers to the adjuster bolts. You may well end up coming to the up stop though

As for the adjuster cam stop my die cast POS collapsed and I replaced it with a steel one off of Ebay.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #48  
Sorry for dredging up an old post, but I think it better than starting new. I have the same uneven arms on my x750. We actually have 2 of these machines in the family. I haven't checked the second unit, but i assume they are same. Reading this thread it sure sounds like the shaft was incorectly built. Always the same direction can't be coincidence. If its the shaft it shoukd be: AM148019. It sure would be nice to see pictures of the shaft with arms attached and set on a flat surface. I hate to buy the shaft though and find out it was actually the bolt on links not indexed properly.

As for making the selector numbe match teh actual cut height it can be done if you add washers to the adjuster bolts. You may well end up coming to the up stop though

As for the adjuster cam stop my die cast POS collapsed and I replaced it with a steel one off of Ebay.
I added some steel spacers to mine, but that throws the deck off by half an inch in order for me to get it level at the 2.5 inch mark. It works, but it's not without a side effect.

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #49  
I added some steel spacers to mine, but that throws the deck off by half an inch in order for me to get it level at the 2.5 inch mark. It works, but it's not without a side effect.
Welcome to TBN

Don't follow why. Are you saying that the resulting height is just not at 2.5 inch, or my interpretation that you are saying the deck is not level by ½" side to side??

/ X758 Deck leveling problems solved #50  

Spacers under the head of the adjusting screws? I did the same. I think I am going to try the rocker shaft replacement and see what it does. I'm also going to replace my tunnel decal as mine has 2.5" cut at the 12 oclock position. Seems they updated this and 3" is now at the 12 oclock position which is much closer to what it should be.