XC drag build

/ XC drag build #141  
Are your cutting teeth still a work in process?

1641757672112.png

/ XC drag build #143  
What would you like to know? How much snow do you get? What do you hope to pull a phat implement with?
Sorry,
Forgot about this then i couldn't seem to find the thread again
We are in an area that is just getting going with grooming and i'm interested in learning some about what other areas are doing. The only narrow trail grooming currently here is being done i believe with a skandic and roller resulting in about a 33 in width. The local club is investigating a broader grooming program.
The areas the trails are in is in NW montana so normally a fairly long winter with usually a fairly long snow period and highly variable snow densities, depths and precipitation type.
Average annual snowfall for most of the potential trail areas would likely run between 90-150in, frequency of snowfall is quite high . Large snowfalls are uncommon, drifting is not a significant issue in most of the lower elevations these would be at.
Seems like fat bike grooming is in its relative infancy with 2 basic grooming methods- snow machine or larger towing a drag/roller or a tracksled usually with just a pan. Seems to me that the advantage of the trickled is a potentially narrower trail with perhaps better compaction? I know that ski resorts till the snow for better compaction and i wonder if some type of tiller could actually be driven off the main track? Is a towed pan the best way?
Looks like snowdog is the most popular tracksled but Trail tamer seems to be making some inroads

I found the following post from Rossland BC which has both machines

Anonymous asked:
Good morning, I have a question regarding your 2 groomers. How do you like the Trail Tamer compared to the snowdog? I groom with a 10hp snowdog and the complant I have is with the clutch. Mine comes with the Comet 40 series and the Trail Tamer comes with the 44 Magnum series. The 40 series seems under sized and can't handle the load, it requires constant maintinace, how is the 44 Magnum handling the job?Thanks Erich
anonymous_avatar_96.gif

The magnum clutch seems to be doing OK it engages maybe a bit early not allowing the engine rpm to go up.

But the difference between the 2 machines is the standard snow dog with 13 hp moter is faster and more agile. It turns a bit easier but on steep soft snow climbs it can get stuck and just digs in.

And the taimer with stock grooming plate is hard to stand on.but the machine it self just chugs up soft snow climbs. And it is very sturdy feeling machine. But its longer and is quite hard to turn with deep lug track we speced it with. We are still trying to figure out mods to make the new machine the best . But there isn’t anything that super user friendly yet.
But if your terrain is simple thetaimer works

/ XC drag build #144  
also here are a couple of fun vids from the Marquette area

/ XC drag build
Here it is in the field this week. I did PM the fishhead guy.
P1030662.jpg

The cutter frame was worked on.
P1030682.jpg

Top view, shows the cross-bracing that will be added to support the teeth. When we catch something, this frame really goes into high stress mode. :LOL:
P1030679.jpg

/ XC drag build #147  
Did you ever consider making the bars that hold the teeth able to pivot back if you hit something large? Kinda like the springs on a truck plow.

/ XC drag build
Did you ever consider making the bars that hold the teeth able to pivot back if you hit something large? Kinda like the springs on a truck plow.
No, that's to much work and its already overly complicated now. The frames are held on at three points, the two rear pivots and one in the front via the actuator. This allow enought flexibilty to move up when you catch something, while not getting damaged. The KISS design is your friend.

/ XC drag build #149  
The frame is 5ft wide plus wings, so with them, it will be around 7ft. Its close to 8ft long without hitch. Weight I'm not sure, it might be 125lbs but its also unfinished. Weight is not all that important for snow implements.
Even covered with snow, the entire unit can probably jump a little if it hits a immovable object.

/ XC drag build
As promised, here is the tooth frame. Whats not seen was gussets added behind the down tubes that hold the tooth angles on. The angles that hold the teeth on are lowered so as to allow materials to flow over there tops.
Any questions?
P1030863.jpg
P1030865.jpg