XC drag build

/ XC drag build
Well, it has gone into service but its not really done. Wings have not been added and a few other minor details uncompleted. I was out this am doing some modification to it in the field. Our grooming season is coming up on the end.
gooddrag776.jpg
P1040680.jpg
P1040770.jpg

/ XC drag build #172  
  • Polaris is healthy again?
  • Wings function/location?
  • What tweaks do you anticipate doing before next season?

Looks like it works well.

/ XC drag build
  • Polaris is healthy again?
  • Wings function/location?
  • What tweaks do you anticipate doing before next season?

The Polaris still misses at times. We are still trying to master its cause. May be low battery when winch is used.

The wings are flexible have comb and weights on them. These make the edge of the trail more skiable. See pic below of what they look like. Its circled.

Build the 2nd one.

Ginzu wing 2014.jpg

/ XC drag build #175  
Did you heat it to bend it?
Looking at the holes in the plate, I assume you are going to use countersunk flat head screws/bolt to secure it to the plate.

/ XC drag build
Did you heat it to bend it?
Looking at the holes in the plate, I assume you are going to use countersunk flat head screws/bolt to secure it to the plate.
Yes Dennis. You could break it but I don't have a break that large and the radius is very large. I used three 1500 watt heat guns to get it warmed up.

/ XC drag build #177  
Why put the plastic on the pan like that? I’d think the aluminum pan would slide just as easy? I suppose the plastic would help with damage from rocks etc

/ XC drag build
Why put the plastic on the pan like that? I’d think the aluminum pan would slide just as easy? I suppose the plastic would help with damage from rocks etc
Plastic has a much lower drag coefficiency than steel or aluminum. Friction with Aluminum is actually quite high. Plastic also has less tendency to stick and freeze to water and this is why most most implements today are built with HDPE. (what makes contact with snow)

/ XC drag build #179  
Ok thanks :). Ya I know all about water freezing to drags….nothing like the sinking feeling of 2’ of slush on the lake hoping the rig will crawl through, then beating the frozen snow/ice off it for the next 10 miles…..

/ XC drag build
Ok thanks :). Ya I know all about water freezing to drags….nothing like the sinking feeling of 2’ of slush on the lake hoping the rig will crawl through, then beating the frozen snow/ice off it for the next 10 miles…..
Most of the time its slush coming off the tow machine. Nonetheless, the use of plastic reduces this grief.