YM336D bad knocking engine

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #1  

murnere

Tractor
Yanmar YM336D
Hi all,
Whether you know it or not, you all have been helping me as I rebuild a tractor my father bought back in '84. All these old threads have answered 90% of any question I ever had and you all gave me answers to the other 10%. Thanks for all you have already done.
After changing all oils, changing all soft fuel lines, rewiring some things and re-coring the radiator I got it back up and running like a champ. I started it back up, idled it for 30 minutes and shut it off for the night. The next day I drug a small chain harrow for about an hour and shut it off for the night. Then the next day I ran a brush hog for 2 hours and it did great.
Today I drove it around and gave it a bath so I could take pictures to send to my dad. After the bath, out of the blue it had a knock. I tried to upload a short video, but it wouldn't upload. Any hints on getting a video to upload?
I'm afraid I've got a valve knocking and I am not a mechanic, so I'm not sure if I should move it at all or if that will hurt it. I'll try again to upload and will add it as a comment.
Any help will be appreciated, Ed

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #2  
Ed
The video would be really helpful (actually the audio portion) Yanmar's make a lot of shakes and knocks but a new one is definitely concerning. What is the oil level like at this point and did it visually look ok, specifically any metallic flecks or powder in it? Does the oil pressure light (and sensor) work for sure? Can you tell if the knock if from the top of the engine (valves) or down at the bottom (mains)? In the process, over time, of your rebuilding this unit did you do any work internally to the engine? What oil is in it presently? Sorry I can't help on the uploading part but I'll watch for it. Whether you should move or not is hard to tell without knowing some of the above. There are way wiser men than I on this forum and I'm sure they'll weigh in shortly.-Eric

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #3  
I think you can go to YouTube, load it there and then attach it here.

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #4  
Yes, your going to need to put it somewhere else. Youtube is the easiest especially on a phone. I'm not on Facebook or the instagrams but you can put it there too and link it here for us as long as it's not private or a friend's only link.

The simple answer is that the video needs to be hosted on another site and the just cut and paste the link into a thread here. It embeds the video in the post. Example my post from a few days ago about disking food plots. I put it on YouTube and just out the www.... Link here and that player window just automatically pops up.

Could be a few things. My first thought is an injector knock or hammer from not running right, bit this is a 3cy so the hammer hammer diesel knock is not as pronounced. You said you rebuilt this tractor, did you feeling the engine and put new rod bearings? Did you torque everything. How did the journals and rods look? Do you think you don't have a valve closing? Does the sound of the motor change when you cut out a cylinder by loosening the injector lines?

What were events leading directly up to the knocks. A rod. Eating won't just go bad I wouldn't think. The valves seem odd to just stick or break. Did the tractor sit for a long time before it happened?

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #5  
Hi all,
Today I drove it around and gave it a bath so I could take pictures to send to my dad. After the bath, out of the blue it had a knock.

Any help will be appreciated, Ed

During the wash and rinse, did any water get down the exhaust ??? Does the end of the exhaust pipe have a spring loaded cap or is it open ended ???

Did you give the engine a rise while it was HOT ???

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #6  
I think the thread starter has left the building. :D

/ YM336D bad knocking engine
Sorry all, I did not mean to post and not recheck....life has certainly gotten in my way as of late. Anyway, I have spoken to different people that I could just show the video to and I was told I had a bad injector. I loosened the intake lines on injector 1 and 3 and each of them killed the engine when I loosened them. Number 2 injector bled out fuel, but the engine kept running. From what I read, that indicated that injector 2 was my bad injector.
I ordered an new injector and injector removing tool because everything I read indicated that my injector would be stuck. After some help from Hoye Tractor, I got the injector out without even using the removal tool. The injector was actually free spinning within the head. I put in the new injector and reconnected all the lines and now I have white smoke AND a bad knock.
Because of all your replies, I have uploaded my new video to YouTube. Knocking after injector replacement - YouTube
Also, the "rebuilding" that I did only involved superficial things...replaced all hose lines, replaced all filters and fluids, re-cored the radiator, drained out and replaced fuel...nothing major because I can only do what I have a tutorial to see on YouTube. I don't think water got inside the engine, but I may replace the oil anyway.
Again, sorry for disappearing before. I had every intention on moving on with this project, but certain health things came up and I was delayed. I'm back at it now.
Ed

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #10  
Not a problem murnere. While our equipment is important to us, it is never THE most important thing in life. Keep us updated, at your pace, as your project moves and if we can help, this group, as always, will provide what we can. Trust the "health things" are resolved and everything is good.