YM336D bad knocking engine

/ YM336D bad knocking engine
Yes, I read Domush's original post and then his later one after he ran low on oil. I got a lot of what I've been able to do so far from his posts and all of your alls replies. No fears of me getting upset about someone posting something that I'm doing, I admit I don't know what I'm doing. I actually took this to a mechanic who kept it over last winter. He finally admitted he didn't think he could work on it because it needed special tools...maybe he was just worried by the fact that it was a Japanese tractor. What I've read from you all and what I've seen first hand is that it is fairly simple....except I don't know engines that well. These tractors are put together well and "user friendly". I'm a little nervous about the valve cover job, but I'm going to tackle it this weekend.
Thanks already everyone.

Winston, this is perfect. I have been asking around and getting advice, but this is exactly what I need. I'm sure it won't be as easy as this, but at least I have an idea of what I'm doing.
Thanks, Ed

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #24  
Here is a simple way to check your valve clearance. Easiest way to set the valves on your Yanmar
I believe your 336 is to be .006" if you decide to check them.

Hoye to the rescue!

I remember my Pa doing this to an old Dodge when I was a kid. IF he could do it, then anyone can. He mostly changed his oil and brakes, nothing else that drastic.

OK, I have gotten in and removed the valve cover. After disconnecting the few pieces I needed to, I discovered that the bolts holding down the valve cover were only hand tight at best. To my surprise, it was still very clean inside.
The valve on cylinder 1 and 3 had some play. Valves on cylinder 2, however, were very tight. thatç—´ the cylinder giving me problems right now.
To turn the engine, do I need to remove the radiator and fan? And do I need a special tool to turn the engine To get #2 to TDC?
I値l post a picture as soon as I go t YM 336D valves from Left side.jpgYM 336D valves from Right side.jpgo my computer. I can稚 seem to do it from my phone.

Last edited:
Wow, this may not come as news to you all, but I am obviously not a computer wizard.:laughing:
Ed

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #27  
You should be able to get to the crank bolt without removing the fan or radiator. Find a socket that fits the nut, and a semi long ratchet or breaker bar and as short an extension as you can and have clearance to fit into the area. It might be a tight fit but you should not need to disassemble anything to turn the engine.
Reread the directions from the Hoye link that Winston shared and then go to it.

Ok, thanks. I wasn稚 thinking I壇 be able to get in there. I was also looking in the wrong place, I値l give it a shot. Thanks again.

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #29  
Yea you can fit a deepwell or socet and what extentions you need if necessary.

You may be able to grab the fan and belt pulley to roll it by hand but it may just slip from the compression.

/ YM336D bad knocking engine #30  
you said it started knocking AFTER you washed it, that points to water getting into the computer, there's nothing mechanical that would be affected by a wash..