Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,211  
Finally topped off the LP tanks (I'd been waiting for summer rates). The price was much higher ($0.50/gal higher) than last year's summer rate even after calling around to a half dozen suppliers. The only quote close to last year's cost would have been accompanied by a $165 "safety check for new customers". Ended up with a previously used supplier at the higher per gallon rate. Just as well I only needed 167 gallons.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,212  
I run my generator power plant every day that I'm home. Love the fact it has a cab and AC.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,213  
Finally topped off the LP tanks (I'd been waiting for summer rates). The price was much higher ($0.50/gal higher) than last year's summer rate even after calling around to a half dozen suppliers. The only quote close to last year's cost would have been accompanied by a $165 "safety check for new customers". Ended up with a previously used supplier at the higher per gallon rate. Just as well I only needed 167 gallons.
I guess Covid messed up the shipments of propane coming from China, so we now have a shortage....... :cool:

Better than Winter $ at least.

Rgds, D.

#5,214  
I run my generator power plant every day that I'm home. Love the fact it has a cab and AC.
PTO vs dedicated..... pro/cons to both, but the nice thing about a tractor on a working farm, it's not likely to sit idle for long (y).

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,215  
I wasn't trying to start a debate just responding to the thread.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,217  
Start-up unveils 3.6 kWh portable battery for independent power supply

I expect this is way down the road for rural America due to cost, etc but it would side step carb and bad gas issues. :)

Getting the 2016 Leaf totalled 7 Nov 2020 was physically painful for the wife and daughter but it forced the son and I to learn more about EVs and lithium ion batteries as long term energy storage devices.

I think lithium ion batteries may serve as a backup generator for home use in some cases.

Before the accident the car was charged to 100% which would equal to about 95% of a capacity sense. The state of charge was 88% at the time of impact. After we got the bent metal including the radiator and condenser removed we have driven it about 14 or 15 miles dropping the state of charge down to 77 percent. The software so far after 9 months has not detected any loss of voltage or battery health.

This week the body shop did start all the job. The parts car is a 2015 Leaf mint inside and out showing only 27,000 miles but Erie insurance totaled the car because of computer errors making the car dead but a good parts car. Yes cutting up a car with 27,000 miles mint inside and outside cause me some pain and grief in my head.

Our 2016 Leaf has a new larger 2020 battery (40 kWH) put in it by Nissan ($13K per Nissan) so that is the reason we're fighting to save the car.

Where we get the cars back we're going to check out the new battery in our Leaf to better tell how it held up being a parked for nearly a year with a high state of charge.

In cooler times we will again try to troubleshoot the parts car and maybe make a dune buggy out of it. Or at least pull the battery pack out of it and tear it apart and use it for a storage battery unless it's shot.

#5,218  
Batteries are a great adjunct to a home power system.

In terms of $ vs. capacity, I’m less concerned with density (versus, I don’t want a 20 lb battery on my cell phone) in a home system. That said, what Li definitely provides (any decent brand) is long storage/low-self discharge.

So for random infrequent emergency use, Li is great. The Li jump pack I carry in my vehicle requires way less attention than the older chemistry packs I used to carry – those I’d charge every 2 months or so, when not used.

If you have the space, and are planning for a higher capacity/more often used system, then considering various chemistries may yield a curve of $ vs. storage options.

I talked to an old-timer about 20 years ago, who got a great deal stumbling across some defective utility -grade batteries. They were brand new, but slightly outside spec sheet parameters on something minor (case sizing, or something like that). He bought them from the dealer, at not a whole lot over their scrap value. Almost as rare as that mint-condition barn-find vintage Corvette, but deals can be had…..

I’m looking forward to an update from 90cummins; his hybrid system is evolving into something quite interesting….

Rdgs, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,220  
Timely warning in light of all the downed power lines we can expect this week coming up from Louisiana.