Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,311  
Ended up getting power back after about 10 hours so only a minor inconvenience.

City contractor came by tonight and said they are going to start repairing the culvert in the morning. They had plans to truck all the gravel away but I have issue with that. If…. No, when it fills in and blocks again I need that material to build that berm back again.

Also going to have a few loads dropped in my yard to use for a permanent berm along side the creek.
After what you guys have seen, if I was out your way, my place would look like I grew up on a coastal Netherlands farm !

Sandbags still work, but unless you have a family of 12+ handy, hard to put in place quickly.....

Hopefully all services and supplies will get back to normal for you soon...... some folks will be chilly w/o that that natgas line running...

Rgds, D.

#5,312  
Lost power a couple times so far this winter. Trees from the last two storms, duration of last one from 11/18 10:30PM till this morning 11/19 08:06. Both times wood stove for heat, camp stove for cooking and portable generator on propane for freezer and refrigerator and Internet for work. Our water is up a hill from us in a 1000 gal. cistern, so pressure is fine.
Can't get more reliable than gravity ! (y)

I like how propane stores. What size tanks do you use ?

Rgds, D.

#5,314  
Sorry, not real good on tank sizes, but i have one that is about 4' tall, and four 20lb ones.
@ 4', I'd think that is a 100 lb one. Good capacity, but hard for most to lift w/o a tractor.

I have a friend who should probably get a smallish propane portable gen. With your household load you described, approx. how long would you get out of a 20# one ?

I see the 30# tanks a Costco once in a while - not what old RVs were sized for, but probably what I'd recommend my buddy get, if he pics up a portable propane gen.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,315  
@ 4', I'd think that is a 100 lb one. Good capacity, but hard for most to lift w/o a tractor.

I have a friend who should probably get a smallish propane portable gen. With your household load you described, approx. how long would you get out of a 20# one ?

I see the 30# tanks a Costco once in a while - not what old RVs were sized for, but probably what I'd recommend my buddy get, if he pics up a portable propane gen.

Rgds, D.
Ok, so i was completely wrong about the large tank. It's only a 30# tank, i think i'd been eyeing the larger 4' tank for so long, i'd convinced myself i'd bought one. :unsure: I'm thinking the 120# tank is saw at lowes is larger than i really need.

Like i said, we've lost power a couple times in two weeks.
So to the best of my recollection, i ran a fairly light 20# tank for about 45 minutes, before swapping with the 30#. Pulled the load off the generator, then went outside to shut down the generator and then swap tanks. I think i cut it a bit close, as the tank was very light. Put the 30# tank on and ran for about an hour, before shutting down. The second outage, ran on the 30# for almost 3 hours and it feels like the tank is at least half full.

Sorry, not exactly, very exacting propane usage information, along with no real load information.

I really appreciate the propane, as compared to gasoline. Like you mentioned, it stores well, and no issues with carburetor getting fouled etc.

#5,316  
Sorry, not exactly, very exacting propane usage information, along with no real load information.

I really appreciate the propane, as compared to gasoline. Like you mentioned, it stores well, and no issues with carburetor getting fouled etc.
Thanks for taking the time to post..... no apology needed, as that is the Seat of the Emergency-Pants estimate that would be useful to my buddy.

The problem for many is getting the 100# 'ers off the truck w/o a loader. My buddy had an F350 with a liftgate on it, but I'm not sure that truck is running @ the moment.....

The 30# 'ers are a nice size, for occasional emerg backup....

Rgds, D

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,317  
I exercised my generator out of necessity this week as we had a 3 hour outage. LOL.
Started 1st shot but then I keep a battery minder always hooked up.
When I shut down I always run mine dry and always use premium gas.
It also is in my habit to do a short run once a month.

I store mine in the wood shed that is attached to the side of the house and isolated by a foundation wall.
Since exhaust fumes are always a concern I have a 12 inch wall fan permantly installed.
When operating we cant hear it from inside so that's a bonus.
10,000 watts allows me to use a few ceramic heaters for those cold winter days so we stay comfy while watching TV but not able to go on the net as usually our local provider also is out since his repeaters also need power.

Our biggest problem is the many 'blip' outages that play hell with electronics since the hydro lines run thru forest areas and maintenance is poor.

#5,318  
I exercised my generator out of necessity this week as we had a 3 hour outage. LOL.
Started 1st shot but then I keep a battery minder always hooked up.
When I shut down I always run mine dry and always use premium gas.
It also is in my habit to do a short run once a month.

I store mine in the wood shed that is attached to the side of the house and isolated by a foundation wall.
Since exhaust fumes are always a concern I have a 12 inch wall fan permantly installed.
When operating we cant hear it from inside so that's a bonus.
10,000 watts allows me to use a few ceramic heaters for those cold winter days so we stay comfy while watching TV but not able to go on the net as usually our local provider also is out since his repeaters also need power.

Our biggest problem is the many 'blip' outages that play hell with electronics since the hydro lines run thru forest areas and maintenance is poor.
Takes a lot of trimming to stay ahead of the trees..... need those James Bond trimmer helicopters !

What 10kw unit do you run Piloon ?

Picked up a tall can of quick-start on sale recently.... just to have it. Knock wood, never needed it on my generators, but the stuff keeps, and actually used it today to get my lawn-mower going....

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,319  
Takes a lot of trimming to stay ahead of the trees..... need those James Bond trimmer helicopters !

What 10kw unit do you run Piloon ?

Picked up a tall can of quick-start on sale recently.... just to have it. Knock wood, never needed it on my generators, but the stuff keeps, and actually used it today to get my lawn-mower going....

Rgds, D.
My genny is a KING which is an offshore clone.

They, KING, are based in Montreal and carry a full line of power tools, many of which I have,
In the past they have provided very good customer support.

Their support dept has gone as far as to provide detailed schematics for a previous product that I had issues with and thus earned my confidence.
Also they had repair parts available.

I'll add that I have visited their facility and was favorably impressed.

#5,320  
I know of King, but haven't used any, yet.

Haven't heard anything bad (usually the first thing you hear....), and the points you touch on are commendable, esp. today.

^ part of why I ask, and hang out on TBN..... quality design/manufacturing/support can be a moving target.... some traditional "big" Names can drop the ball, while some newer comers have to try harder, if they are going to stay in the game.

Thanks for the 411 Piloon !

Rgds, D.