Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,301  
Olde OE documentation..... one of the real-deal things I value the 'Net for...

The danger (this side of the keyboard) of virtually hanging out with somebody else's projects.... ideas..... :cool:

Those Onan RV gens seem pretty rugged, and other than pro-race teams or off-grid wild-campers, many probably didn't have that many hours.

Already designed for remote-start, and propane ready......

Though.... I need another project about as much as I need more taxes :rolleyes:.....

70h/wk..... doing 40's now, I don't miss 'em..... Stay awake, behind the wheel sic ! Too many people drift off while driving, @ those hours....
Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,302  
this is appropriate of not much, but thought GRS would enjoy it.
I've had two whole house Generacs and they have operated flawlessly.
But clearly they are intermittent power machines, not run your refrigeration all month long machines.

with assumed permission by Popgadget, this is a wonderful generator quote worthy of this fine thread also:

daugen said:

Those folks have been copying our stuff for so long they might have it right by now.
That reminds me of when I was looking at standby generators to replace my almost 30 year old one that failed. I asked a friend in the industrial generator business what I should get. He said Generac, I replied that their residential units were always junk compared to Onan, Kohler, Katolight etc. His response was that they are still junk, but the others were all building junk for that market now, and that Generac had been building cheap generators for so long, they were getting good at it, while the others were still learning. He also said that’s why he avoids the residential market.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,303  
No air cooled unit…no matter who makes it, can compair to an industrial unit. I just serviced an older air cooled unit that had 2007 hours on it. Still runs strong. But it took many years to get those hours. Ive seen industrial units that run 24/7. Would take no time to amass those hours on the industrial unit. There are reasons there so expensive.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,304  
Picked up from a medical clinic back in 1995 a circa 1960’s Winco single cylinder standby genset with 240v 30amp transfer switch.

The only negative is very loud..,

Don’t know if better built back in the day but appears built to deliver…

#5,305  
this is appropriate of not much, but thought GRS would enjoy it.
I've had two whole house Generacs and they have operated flawlessly.
But clearly they are intermittent power machines, not run your refrigeration all month long machines.

with assumed permission by Popgadget, this is a wonderful generator quote worthy of this fine thread also:

That reminds me of when I was looking at standby generators to replace my almost 30 year old one that failed. I asked a friend in the industrial generator business what I should get. He said Generac, I replied that their residential units were always junk compared to Onan, Kohler, Katolight etc. His response was that they are still junk, but the others were all building junk for that market now, and that Generac had been building cheap generators for so long, they were getting good at it, while the others were still learning. He also said that’s why he avoids the residential market.
Cost Out vs. Quality In.... competent engineers will leave some Cost In, but many companies will push until Quality drops - just to make sure no pennies are missed.....

Not a fun game (working there) if you value technical performance.

Rgds, D.

#5,306  
No air cooled unit…no matter who makes it, can compair to an industrial unit. I just serviced an older air cooled unit that had 2007 hours on it. Still runs strong. But it took many years to get those hours. Ive seen industrial units that run 24/7. Would take no time to amass those hours on the industrial unit. There are reasons there so expensive.
We can be inconvenienced by minor outages, but prime-power.... whole different game.....

I remember reading an article (but not whether I posted it here) a few years back. Arctic site, running off redundant CAT powered gens - quote from the site mgr "If these diesels ever stopped, we'd have to evacuate within a couple of hours".

Speaking of evacuation...... was checking on a couple of buddies in BC this week..... what a mess. One in the Fraser Valley didn't lose power at all early this week, the other on the island was out for about 24 hours.

Reminded me to update my fuel stash here.... island buddy was in the middle of a big reno project, so was down to about 10 hours worth of propane for his gen...... Ol 'Murph was working overtime out there this week....

Striking pictures/vids.... spooky to see a bridge you've driven on, gone.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coquihalla-trans-canada-highway-damage-1.6250235

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,307  
We are on the hill above all the standing water in the Fraser Valley. Being careful to ration gas between the generator and the JD400 backhoe that is keeping the creek at bay since it’s overrun the road. Without the berm it’s headed straight for houses.
IMG_4572.jpg

The Kubota is acting as a mobile work light.

Very little gas or diesel left in town but we should be fine using it wisely. Only need a total of about 6 hours a day to keep everything frozen or cold and keep everyone bathed and fed. Feeling a lot better about gasoline power right now as there is about 60’ of Nat gas line swinging in the breeze where the road is washed out.

#5,308  
Portable, storable, and relocate-able.... some of the things I like too about liquid hydrocarbons, and propane, for emergencies.

Good to hear you are doing OK CM. I've had a few texts from Langford and Abbotsford - buddies are doing OK for the most part, but I wish I was close enough to help with cleanup.

I hope that your local fuel stations are able to get re-stocked really soon - I see where they're pushing hard to clear the mudslides on highways that weren't washed-out. Need those trucks rolling, Now.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,309  
Ended up getting power back after about 10 hours so only a minor inconvenience.

City contractor came by tonight and said they are going to start repairing the culvert in the morning. They had plans to truck all the gravel away but I have issue with that. If…. No, when it fills in and blocks again I need that material to build that berm back again.

Also going to have a few loads dropped in my yard to use for a permanent berm along side the creek.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,310  
Lost power a couple times so far this winter. Trees from the last two storms, duration of last one from 11/18 10:30PM till this morning 11/19 08:06. Both times wood stove for heat, camp stove for cooking and portable generator on propane for freezer and refrigerator and Internet for work. Our water is up a hill from us in a 1000 gal. cistern, so pressure is fine.