Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,031  
Buddy of mine fixed up some mechanical issues on a old Belarus 2wd ag tractor, then eventually sold it. Big tough tractor, and I've never seen anything start like that in the cold (Deutz engine ?)...... i swear that thing thought -25C was a nice Spring Day !
Rgds, D.
Belarus have Belarus diesels in them...

My AGCO has an SLH air/oil cooled diesel in it, and it starts easily no matter how cold it gets.

SR

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,032  
Congrats on getting the AGS sorted 90 !

You've basically set up a personal version of the big industrial gen/battery systems I was around years back.

You have a lot of depth / redundancy in your system....... at any scale, IMO, batteries and inverters can nicely complement generators.....

Rgds, D.
Thanks👍
Appreciate that!
Having worked around them you can appreciate how difficult it can be getting a program to execute commands properly.
My installation would have been much easier if the company supported their products with more detailed information.
I would not recommend this product. The only reason I have it is because it’s made to communicate with my inverter.
The (SCP) system control panel is no longer available.
You now have to purchase a more expensive interface that communicates directly with your PC.
That’s behind me THANK GOD!!
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,033  
Thanks👍
Appreciate that!
Having worked around them you can appreciate how difficult it can be getting a program to execute commands properly.
My installation would have been much easier if the company supported their products with more detailed information.
I would not recommend this product. The only reason I have it is because it’s made to communicate with my inverter.
The (SCP) system control panel is no longer available.
You now have to purchase a more expensive interface that communicates directly with your PC.
That’s behind me THANK GOD!!
90cummins
System integration and commissioning can be a real bear.....

In a different world (amateur radio HF transceivers), I got a similar comment back when querying a buddy of mine re. a particular Manufacturer recently...... summarized as "Great Gear, weak documentation".

Communicating tech info well sometimes seems to take a Left/Right Brain balancing act that escapes many people... or, they just don't like writing things down.... :cool:

Not for nothing, a video I posted on TBN not long ago (walking farm irrigation system) used a dead-simple bang-bang controller. Being a simple guy (I've been called worse :)), I like things Simple !

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,034  
Rustyiron
I have not started a thread on my system.
It is not connected to my solar or the grid. It is a standalone system. Snip
90cummins

I'm 90% confident I could design a battery/inverter setup that would play ball with your solar city system and keep it live during outages if you're keen.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,035  
in this super cold weather we have had, so important to keep the power on.
Lot of damage happens at 5 degrees. People and pets don't like it either. Apparently EVs don't either.

would be interesting to know what failed to start or run
I might whine in the summer if my a/c is off, but keeping the heat on is critical.

25 folks in Buffalo died in this last snowstorm.
Most should have stayed home, turned on their gen, and been safe.

I continue to think of a LI battery plus inverter backup to my backup.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,036  
LI batteries lot of capacity and life cycles with a small foot but expensive.
My nephew works for the local pumped storage utility with many huge lead acid batteries to operate pumps for cooling & lubricant pumps to allow the turbines to spin down without damage should power go down.
Waiting for the next cycle when they replace batteries that are out of spec or date.
I think they are 1.2 volts if my memory is right. That would be 20 batteries for a 24 volt system.
Those would likely give me a couple days of power before needing to be charged. Someday maybe.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,037  
I'm 90% confident I could design a battery/inverter setup that would play ball with your solar city system and keep it live during outages if you're keen.
That sounds like something quite marketable (y).

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,039  
LI batteries lot of capacity and life cycles with a small foot but expensive.
My nephew works for the local pumped storage utility with many huge lead acid batteries to operate pumps for cooling & lubricant pumps to allow the turbines to spin down without damage should power go down.
Waiting for the next cycle when they replace batteries that are out of spec or date.
I think they are 1.2 volts if my memory is right. That would be 20 batteries for a 24 volt system.
Those would likely give me a couple days of power before needing to be charged. Someday maybe.
90cummins

If they're 1.2v/cell then they're most likely NiCd chemistry. Definitely get some of those if you can! They have a super low internal resistance so are good for running inverters and being rapidly recharged.

Feeding a little more complex than lead chemistries as they're more of a constant current charge profile.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,040  
question on chemistry...if I put a single large battery in my semi finished basement, same room as my hot tub, oil burner, washer/dryer, etc, in other words a living area,
are any of these battery types safer to keep indoors? In use, street power off, I'm very unlikely to be in basement though.
I'm concerned over outgassing from routine smart charging.

lead/acid is out. Then comes the alphabet soup of chemistry types.
What is the safest battery for me to put in my basement hooked to a sine wave inverter?

All gens are "outdoors" so different considerations.
But I do wonder what battery type, AGM or whatever, works best in cold weather.
At 10F, which is as cold as it gets here, what battery works best in the cold?
I know this is why there are battery warmers for gens.

so two questions. Safest battery for indoor use and toughest battery for cold weather use.
thanks Drew