YT235 down again!

/ YT235 down again! #1  

Mauser12

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 235
At about 180 hrs. the tractor started running a regen cycle every four hours. I checked with a dealership and was told that was normal. As tractors get older, they get dirtier. At 190 hrs. it started flashing the two warning lights in the dash that indicate an operator safety issue. I couldn't find the issue and the code it was displaying was not in the dealer's repair manual. They called Yanmar and were told that it indicated a bad water separator. I am not sure how that can be a safety issue. The part was backordered. The dealer cleared the code and the lights were out. I was told to use it until the part came in. I ran it for about 20 minutes and it started a regen cycle and the dash lit back up. It started running a regen cycle about every 40 minutes and. . . the oil pan started filling with diesel. It is back at the dealership. I am not complaining about the dealership. I have talked to their mechanics and the service manager is working on the problem. I am looking for ideas that I might bounce off the dealership mechanics. At this point I think the code and the lights are meaningless and may indicate a computer problem. The engine is running fine and every diesel that I have been around with significant water in the fuel ran poorly if at all. They seem to have nothing to do with diesel getting to the pan. Emails from Yanmar to the dealership don't seem to grasp the issue. They focus strictly on the code on the dash.

/ YT235 down again!
Just an update. The water separator had to come from Japan. It arrived yesterday. The sales manager was out yesterday so I couldn't get an update on the oil issue. I am starting to get frustrated.

/ YT235 down again! #3  
I can understand. I will be watching for a resolution.

/ YT235 down again! #4  
the Diesel must be getting in the oil from either the lift pump, or injection pump. it's not good at all to get Diesel in your oil.

/ YT235 down again!
Agreed. The dealership is checking those two places. As of now, they think the code lights going off has to do with a bad dash circuit. They cleared themselves yesterday and have not come back on as of now. The fuel gauge now seems stuck on full which could also be the dash. They are seriously trying to follow the problems, they just seem to be traveling just ahead of them.

/ YT235 down again!
The tractor has been gone over by the dealership tech and the Yanmar representative. The two issues, (a possessed dash and fluid in the engine oil) and a plan is in place. They are disassembling the dash to look for grounding issues, replacing the fuel gauge and sending unit, and putting new seals in the hydraulic pumps. I the dash problems still occur, they plan on installing a new dash. It has taken a little time but they have chased the problems.

/ YT235 down again!
I would call the dash fixed. The fluid in the oil pan seemed to be addressed also. However, as of this morning, the dipstick is showing about 1/2" above full. If the hydraulic pump seals were the issue the new ones only held for about 35 hours. I guess it is back to the dealership and waiting on the Yanmar regional rep to make some decisions.

/ YT235 down again!
I finally got the 235 back yesterday. It was gone a full month this time, three weeks the time before and three weeks before that. The dealer sent the oil in for analysis and the result was diesel in the crankcase oil. Yanmar okayed the seals on the injector pump. They never arrived. I don't know, maybe the boat from Japan sank. The dealer talked Yahnmar into supplying a new pump. The tractor was fixed in three days once they had the pump. This tractor has been sitting more in the last three months that it has ran. That is a direct result of slow or no parts from Yanmar. If Yanmar is going to do business in the US, they are going to have to supply parts from here, not half way around the globe.

/ YT235 down again! #9  
Planes take off an land evry few seconds and much of it is freight. No reason stuff from pretty much anywhere can't get here quick. COST may be another matter!

I would be happy that I got a new pump instead of a repair job.

/ YT235 down again!
I am not unhappy with the repair or the dealership. However, it is ridiculous for it to take four weeks to get a part. The pump is not even a Yanmar product and the local NAPA store could have gotten it in three days. I will say it again, if they are going to sell tractors here they need to supply parts from here, not half way around the world. I purchased this thing to use and not as a yard orniment.