Zd1511

/ Zd1511 #1  

Boris1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740HTSC FEL-RTVX1120 Camo-JDX540
Hi, I presently have a zd331 72 and I am considering getting a new zd1511. Basically asking if anyone who has already done this regrets it or is happy about it. I know def is added on this model so that’s a concern as well. Most likely be my last mower so just don’t want to make bad decision. Thanks Matt

/ Zd1511 #2  
The ZD1511 does not use DEF. it has a reformer based exhaust after treatment system. User results have been mixed at best, software updates have helped the system reliability. Do your research before you buy. The ZD1211 does not use the same system.

/ Zd1511 #3  
There are several zd1511 owners here on tbn that are very happy with this machine. When I was researching, I found some owners who had considerable trouble with the dpf system, very similar to the B3350 debacle.
I ended up with a zd1211 72" mower and it's certainly adequate. Last season I put about 250 hours on it and it did fine in all grass conditions, although I do have to slow down a little going up steeper inclines.
My previous mower was a zd331, which was practically unstoppable going full bore through anything. I suspect the same could be said for the zd1511.

/ Zd1511
There’s a dealer in the area that is selling 4 of them that were purchased back from owners Last year due to issues with rbe system. They are selling them with full factory warranties and issues said to be corrected by factory. It’s about $4k cheaper than new but still a little Leary which lead to this post. If I get one I’d probably go brand new as I like to know the complete history of my equipment. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. Thank for everyone’s insight.

/ Zd1511 #5  
I have owned a couple of the ZD3xx's and currently own a ZD1211 and F2690. I've also owned several Fs and they are the tops and winners in all areas. Why are you not considering a F2690 4wd?
I bought the ZD1211 last year and it's OK but told dealer if he gets another F trade in that I want to trade my ZD and have 2 Fs.

/ Zd1511 #6  
For my purposes the ZD 331 has the agility to turn around the tree plantings that is hard to do with the F machines. No doubt the F's will outperform on more open areas.
The suspension seats on the ZD1511 sounds good and can possibly be backfitted to the ZD331. How comfortable is the air suspension seat on the ZD1511. What is holding me back on cutting down the time it takes on open areas is speed has to be slowed down enough to not be too jarring on my old body.

/ Zd1511 #7  
It is not hard to turn around trees with an F mower says me with over 14 years experience using them and several years using the zero turn mowers. Yes, the Zs are a fraction easier/quicker unless it is a larger tree and then no quicker or easier than the F which will circle the tree cutting right against it all the way around. Even smaller trees can usually be cut about 4/5ths of the way around in one single pass and then stop back up a hair and finish or get on the next pass which is what I usually do. I have lots of trees and lots of experience. The Zs were faster around rental close spaced units with outside A/C units but the open spaces with the F being faster made the F faster every time from start to finish.
Hear about people going from Zs to Fs but rare to hear of anyone going from a F to a Z.

/ Zd1511 #8  
That is good that the F's are good around trees. My plantings are in rows of trees with spacing between rows of 8 to 10 ft and trees spaced about 6 to 8 ft apart. Mow around 6000 of those trees a few times a year to keep the weeds down. The ZD is quick reacting to get into spaces between trees although on slopes I have to be careful with traction. An F machine with 4 wheel drive would be great on the slopes. Not having to turn a steering wheel I think helps the process go quicker although I have never tried it.

/ Zd1511 #9  
I had a ZD1211 72” & sold it.
It was a fine machine but bogged in heavy thick grass & on my hills.

I bought the ZD1511 4cyl Turbo 72” & love it. It’s liquid smooth compared to the ZD1211 3cyl.

The ZD1511 still bogs a little in thick grass on hills but nothing like the little 3cyl ZD1211

the ZD1511 now has 86hrs on it & has required a parked regen twice.
dealer is coming to pick it up & suspecting a sensor issue.

the ZD1211 is fine with 72” deck on flat ground & keeping grass cut weekly so it doesn’t get so thick & tall imo for my application.

the F series deck runs solely on the ground & gets beat to death mowing rough ground like I’m mowing around my farm.

/ Zd1511 #10  
Kubota dealer told me the ZD1511 has been discontinued idk