New here - Should I care about written specs?

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #41  
I don't believe you're going to find a huge amount of weight in the plate. The bigger difference is the weight of the attachment. My 42" forks are under 300 lbs and use the JDQA system. They're #not# SS forks, and that shows in their relatively light weight.

This is an argument you are going to lose. My 42 inch SSQA forks are 280 lbs, and they are rated for 1800 lbs of lift. How is that so much different than your JDQA forks? We understand what you are saying about a lot of SSQA equipment is heavy and made for skidsteers. But not all of it, some is made for our small compact tractors and still use SSQA. You migh be thinking of a SSQA plate, but you don't need one on a set of forks. they are just a frame of metal, attached to the back of the fork frame, and does not add much weight at all..

James K0UA

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #42  
the downside with an SSL QA is not so much weight, its that the piviot point moves 3"-4" away from the tractor which does drop your lift capactiy and breakout force.

I'm not a fan of using QA's on small tractors, but I'd work up an SSL QA before any pin-on system. Once you in the pin on stuff, brace yourself because the attachments are stupid expensive.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #43  
This is an argument you are going to lose. My 42 inch SSQA forks are 280 lbs, and they are rated for 1800 lbs of lift. How is that so much different than your JDQA forks? We understand what you are saying about a lot of SSQA equipment is heavy and made for skidsteers. But not all of it, some is made for our small compact tractors and still use SSQA. You migh be thinking of a SSQA plate, but you don't need one on a set of forks. they are just a frame of metal, attached to the back of the fork frame, and does not add much weight at all..

James K0UA

I'm not trying to argue anything. I merely tried to point out that the Kubota "defacto" system for quick attach is SSQA. While, as some have pointed out, that opens the door to a seemingly limitless supply of attachments that are available, everything comes at a price. And, the "price" here is very often a loss of lifting capacity.

The original poster is looking to understand what the technical spec numbers truly mean for the different tractors, and I was trying to add a related component for understanding how to determine just how much "work" a particular tractor will be able to do for you... ESPECIALLY in the realm of things like lifting pallets of stone.

While your 280 lb forks are rated for 1800 lbs (which is a decent rating on both sides), my 197 (yes, that's one hundred ninety-seven) lb fork set is rated for 2300 lbs. When you're dealing with a loader that is rated for 1000 lbs or less (mine is rated at 1050, so it's very close), every pound counts. To be completely honest and fair, my forks were completely an after-though with regard to my tractor purchase. In fact, I ordered my tractor and had to wait three months to get it. I didn't even decide I would get forks until two months after my tractor was ordered.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs?
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

I get the point ... SSQA means lots of attachments that I can rent (if available) as needed or purchase. But it comes with an understanding that the some attachments may be designed for larger units beyond the limits of the ones I am considering. Just because you can hook it up does not make it a good idea.

Thanks. Now back to your corners. :D

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #45  
I'm not trying to argue anything. I merely tried to point out that the Kubota "defacto" system for quick attach is SSQA. While, as some have pointed out, that opens the door to a seemingly limitless supply of attachments that are available, everything comes at a price. And, the "price" here is very often a loss of lifting capacity.

The original poster is looking to understand what the technical spec numbers truly mean for the different tractors, and I was trying to add a related component for understanding how to determine just how much "work" a particular tractor will be able to do for you... ESPECIALLY in the realm of things like lifting pallets of stone.

While your 280 lb forks are rated for 1800 lbs (which is a decent rating on both sides), my 197 (yes, that's one hundred ninety-seven) lb fork set is rated for 2300 lbs. When you're dealing with a loader that is rated for 1000 lbs or less (mine is rated at 1050, so it's very close), every pound counts. To be completely honest and fair, my forks were completely an after-though with regard to my tractor purchase. In fact, I ordered my tractor and had to wait three months to get it. I didn't even decide I would get forks until two months after my tractor was ordered.

When I used the word argument, I did not mean it to be contentious, as in a fight. I just mean you were "arguing" your point of view and I another as in a court case. I will concede that as the tractor loaders become smaller there are more efficient ways of making a quick hitch as in the JDQA vs the SSQA due to weight constraints. And while Pin On gets the last ounce out of a loader by getting it closer to the loader arms, the utility value of having a way to change front implements is as important to me as having a way to change rear implements.

James K0UA

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #46  
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

I get the point ... SSQA means lots of attachments that I can rent (if available) as needed or purchase. But it comes with an understanding that the some attachments may be designed for larger units beyond the limits of the ones I am considering. Just because you can hook it up does not make it a good idea.

Thanks. Now back to your corners. :D

If you stay around very long, you will find this is just the nature of things and the OP is often, if only temporarily lost in the shuffle. The downside is it is often irrelevant to the OP, but the upside is that you often learn quite a bit that may be of use in the future.

James' use of the word "argument" is an accurate one in that it is not intended to be negative, or at least not for most of us.

Many of us have or have had multiple tractors and what may be true for one won't be for another and general statements like "all Kubotas, all John Deeres, all Kiotis etc." will bring a response as you simply cannot present that as a truism given the diversity of models.

Agreed, just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it; just often hard to define the dividing line.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #47  
Well said, TripleR!!

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #48  
If you stay around very long, you will find this is just the nature of things and the OP is often, if only temporarily lost in the shuffle. The downside is it is often irrelevant to the OP, but the upside is that you often learn quite a bit that may be of use in the future.

James' use of the word "argument" is an accurate one in that it is not intended to be negative, or at least not for most of us.

Many of us have or have had multiple tractors and what may be true for one won't be for another and general statements like "all Kubotas, all John Deeres, all Kiotis etc." will bring a response as you simply cannot present that as a truism given the diversity of models.

Agreed, just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it; just often hard to define the dividing line.

This is why I said that specs do matter, especially if comparing subcompacts to compact tractors.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs?

Truly well said. I have learned a lot in just the few weeks, especially on later thread pages where the topic takes a left turn ... enough to feel stupid asking questions already answered in numerous other threads. I will continue to look at specs but will take butt-in-seat factor into consideration along with dealer reputation/fairness/service.

I don't really care about what class you call a given tractor. My neighbors will not snub me if I get a SCUT compared to their CUT if the SCUT meets my needs. If I have to think a little larger due to shortsightedness and that puts me into a CUT, so be it.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #50  
tkappeler said:
New here and looking to purchase my first tractor. My needs include lots of FEL work moving fill dirt at new home on flat 3.5 acres, mulch, pallets of stone for landscaping, and possibly finish mowing in the future.

I am trying to compare specs side by side for the Kioti CK20HST, Mahindra Max22 and 2216, TYM 273, Kubota bx2360. My impressions so far of these are:

Kioti - web site hasn't been updated in a long time as they still reference the "new" 2011 lines, so I am not really confident but hear they make a good product.
TYM - read great things here but some really awful things as well.
Kuboto - great product but pricey.
Mahindra - lots of positive feedback sprinkled with strong opinions by owners of OTHER makes.

Should I care about small differences in PTO HP, hydraulic pump capacities within these units or simply concentrate on lift capacities, features such as position control, ergonomics, warranties and dealer strength?

Tom

Mahindra has strongest lift capacity in comparable size tractors. LS tractors (in Maine) are the least expensive, so I could have bought a larger/stronger tractor from LS... But I didn't want a larger tractor. For me, mahindra was the brand. Then I liked the max series. So, which max should I choose? Max 22 and 25 have same loader capabilities...900lbs and 1700 breakout force. They were not comfortable for me. The max 28xl is comfortable and has 1400lbs lift and around 2700 breakout force. I got the mahindhra/kodiak 2500lbs forks, and they mount on loader or 3pt hitch. I'll try to upload a pic or 2...

View attachment 272180

View attachment 272181