Buying a new L5740 HSTC?

/ Buying a new L5740 HSTC? #21  
TripleR, best of luck with your new tractor endeavor! :thumbsup:

I am sure you won't be disappointed. :)

/ Buying a new L5740 HSTC? #22  
Triple R, Looks like you'll just "Keep On Tractorin".:thumbsup: I'm trading my BX for a B2620 so as to do more gardening. But at my age, even without a disability, it makes me wonder if I'm being foolish. The knees are sore but still work enough to saddle up...so let's do it!
Mike

/ Buying a new L5740 HSTC?
TripleR, best of luck with your new tractor endeavor! :thumbsup:

I am sure you won't be disappointed. :)

Thanks, in spite of my aversion to spending money, I am gradually warming to the idea.

Triple R, Looks like you'll just "Keep On Tractorin".:thumbsup: I'm trading my BX for a B2620 so as to do more gardening. But at my age, even without a disability, it makes me wonder if I'm being foolish. The knees are sore but still work enough to saddle up...so let's do it!
Mike

Heck no, not foolish at all, keep on going as long as you can, it will keep you active. Have you read the stuff from bp fick? He went from a BX to a B for gardening and it has worked out really well for him.:thumbsup:

/ Buying a new L5740 HSTC? #24  
You might look at the L5240 to save a few bucks. The engines are identical as is just about everything else.

The only difference is that the 5740's HP is rated at a higher RPM. My dealer said that the 5240 would produce that HP at that RPM.

As you know, they are fantastic machines.

You might look at the L5240 to save a few bucks. The engines are identical as is just about everything else.

The only difference is that the 5740's HP is rated at a higher RPM. My dealer said that the 5240 would produce that HP at that RPM.

As you know, they are fantastic machines.

GW, sometimes I just "fall into" things like this if you know what I mean. My right side and ribs were hurting from crawling out of the L5030 a couple of days prior and I had printed off price lists on the L5240 and L5740 with different options just to "get an idea" of the cost. We pulled up to the front door, looked over and right in the front what did I see; L5740 HSTC; hadn't seen one on a lot anywhere in almost a year. I looked at my wife and my wife looked at me and I said "darn" or at least it started with a "d". My wife looked at me and said "you might as well go ahead and buy it"; what's a guy to do...:licking:

You should have seen my wife's face when she tried it out.:laughing:

I would have gone with a L5240 if it had been there instead of the L5740. My L5030 has never needed more power. I am far from wealthy, but at my point in life a few bucks one way or the other really doesn't make much difference one way or the other and this should be my last big ticket tractor.

I just noticed I have transitioned from may get it to going to get it.

/ Buying a new L5740 HSTC? #26  
TripleR I purchased a 5240 hydro with cab a few months ago and could not be happier with my decision. The loader does everything asked of it and it is very stable on my hilly terrain. The usage of fuel is better than I expected about 17 hours before needing any and then only 11 gallons. When you first start it up a little puff of smoke but that is it. Hydro is very smooth auto throttle works flawlessly and the high low between ranges is a marvel that works seemlessly. I do a lot of loader work and this machine is the cats meow . The only thing that it needs is wheel weights in addition to the fluid already in the rear tires

/ Buying a new L5740 HSTC? #27  
I keep my box blade on to bolster the ballast of my filled rear tires. Works great! I would be leery of heavy lifting without it.

TripleR I purchased a 5240 hydro with cab a few months ago and could not be happier with my decision. The loader does everything asked of it and it is very stable on my hilly terrain. The usage of fuel is better than I expected about 17 hours before needing any and then only 11 gallons. When you first start it up a little puff of smoke but that is it. Hydro is very smooth auto throttle works flawlessly and the high low between ranges is a marvel that works seamlessly. I do a lot of loader work and this machine is the cats meow . The only thing that it needs is wheel weights in addition to the fluid already in the rear tires

Thanks for the information as we have quite a few hills as well. Do you use the wheel weights in lieu of, or in addition to ballast on the 3PH? I considered wheel weights, but hate to carry the added weight around when not needed. I always have counter ballast on the 3PH when doing FEL work.

/ Buying a new L5740 HSTC? #29  
TripleR my last tractor had fluid in tires and wheel weights bolted on as well I was happy with that setup. Sometimes when working in close quarters there is no room for anything on the back

TripleR my last tractor had fluid in tires and wheel weights bolted on as well I was happy with that setup. Sometimes when working in close quarters there is no room for anything on the back

We have a Massey Ferguson 375 with cast centers and loaded tires that worked really well without anything on the 3PH, but everything else needs counter balance and yeah I have skinned a tree or two up.

I will probably try it for a while and add weights later on if needed; thanks for the feedback.