Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #172  
That's a valid point.

A feisty terrier would work to alert you and they can be fierce ankle biters.

I don't know what is considered "big" for a dog, but I would say 50 pounds and up will be a decent deterrent. When faced with a barking, growling dog, people don't know if the dog will attack them or not. Sort of like a sign that says there is a camera watching you--maybe, maybe not. Anything that adds to an intruders perception of risk is in your favor. A dog barking its head off is a message that an attempt at stealth or concealment has failed, increasing an intruders perception of risk.

The OP and his wife went through some commotion in their reaction to the intruder. Most dogs would key on that emotion and unusual behavior and become alerted and active. If the OP's dogs didn't, he needs to add to his "pack" if dogs are to be a part of his system.

Our Chessie's aren't highly trained just highly intelligent. Just the spoken words "Who is it" and they go on alert searching to see whats going on.

The memory of an elephant. Tell them once and they never forget.

/ Caught an Intruder
To the people who think that dogs are the solution to my problem... I appreciate that you like dogs, but I'm only looking for technological solutions to my security problems. While it's true that I do have dogs, I consider them strictly as pets.

/ Caught an Intruder
If you think someone is in the neighborhood casing you, set up a shooting range and shoot often and at odd times. NO ONE walks onto a piece of property where it's both posted and there is frequent shooting. I get along well with my neighbor, and we both shoot, but he fires at all hours and I'd never even dare to walk in the woods for fear of being accidentally shot.

Setting up a shooting range is not an option due to local ordinances. Not to mention the fact that I like my peace and quiet. :)

/ Caught an Intruder #175  
To the people who think that dogs are the solution to my problem... I appreciate that you like dogs, but I'm only looking for technological solutions to my security problems. While it's true that I do have dogs, I consider them strictly as pets.

Because of the breed we chose we just happened to get a protecter of our property too. Haviing originated in the Chesapeake Bay Region these dogs are legendary for loyalty and protection of their master.

Because I have these dogs to help protect my family and property do I get rid of all the guns in the house and the alarm system. Of course not. I think between them all I've got it covered.

What if you aren't home and and its just the wife and kids. You have all your signs up and your cameras on and the intruder just walks right thru them without hesitation, what do you do then? Ok you got a picture of him. Thats fine for after he has done his deed and you need to catch him. You want to stop him before he does anything. How is that going to stop him from doing what he wants to do to your home and family. It could possibly be a deterent to some teens up to no good but not a hardened criminal.

Perfect example: We have nothing around us but a county road, woods. and farmland. My wife was out front working in the flower beds with her back to the road. Someone came from the road and across the yard that she had no idea was there. But guess who had her back? Oh yeah! 90 pounds of Chesapake protection. While my wife was not facing the road the dog was facing the road just like a sentinel.

The dog went towards the man and he stopped in his tracks. He could not move for fear of his life. My wife ran in the house and called my Father and Brother in law because they were just across the farm.

Come to find out the man was a farmer who broke down on the road past our house and wanted to call someone but my wife didn't know him and when she spoke to him he said nothing which caused more fear for her.

I guess you could call it a false alarm but it let us know we could count on our Chessie to alert and protect us.

/ Caught an Intruder #176  
Whatever camera you get, just make sure it provides CLEAR video at the property line. How many of those "security cam" videos does one have to watch to see that they are basically grainy, useless images?

Ive installed camera's industrially, and you can get clear video with the proper camera, lens and housing.

/ Caught an Intruder
What if you aren't home and and its just the wife and kids. You have all your signs up and your cameras on and the intruder just walks right thru them without hesitation, what do you do then? Ok you got a picture of him. Thats fine for after he has done his deed and you need to catch him. You want to stop him before he does anything. How is that going to stop him from doing what he wants to do to your home and family. It could possibly be a deterent to some teens up to no good but not a hardened criminal.

I knew that someone would come along and try to "change my mind" so I'll reiterate that I'm only looking for technological solutions to my security problems. I like dogs as well as the next person, but dog discussions get a little too "opinionated" to be of any real use to my immediate needs.

Oh, and to answer your question... I do have provisions to deal with an intruder is noone is home, I just prefer to not say what they are.

/ Caught an Intruder
Whatever camera you get, just make sure it provides CLEAR video at the property line. How many of those "security cam" videos does one have to watch to see that they are basically grainy, useless images?

Ive installed camera's industrially, and you can get clear video with the proper camera, lens and housing.

You're absolutely right, most security camera footage I've seen is utter crap so it's going to be difficult to find ones that capture true high resolution images that are actually useful.

/ Caught an Intruder #179  
Resolution, is a balancing act. Sure you always want high res but you can't always store enough of it. The trick is to get enough quality to do what you need but only "just enough" that way you can keep more of it.

/ Caught an Intruder #180  
You should be able to get something that is always on with loop of 24-40 hours that independently rwcords triggered events and saves them separately. Something happens and you retrieve the loopfor any clues that might not have triggered a mption detector. Nothing happens and you'll have the scouting incursions saved if there are any and if they triggered a recorded event. Not a great explanation but a similar system is used for dash cams. End up with a continuous loop and a separately stoted event library. As a bonus there may be some cool wildlife footage.