New Well

/ New Well #41  
Some cities??? I think more accurate to say "many cities" (as far south as Sauk City). Code here says 4' depth for footings in most places, 5' in the upper north. Many places were reporting frost depths at 8-10' this year...so much for global warming around here.

That's just hard to fathom for us Southerners (I'm in MO, which isn't THAT far south). Our footings are normally 18" or so around here, and frost really doesn't make it much more than a foot in really cold winters like this past one.

/ New Well #42  
That's just hard to fathom for us Southerners (I'm in MO, which isn't THAT far south). Our footings are normally 18" or so around here, and frost really doesn't make it much more than a foot in really cold winters like this past one.
Winter truly set in here mid-November and other than a few days it is still here. I was driving to my turkey hunting spot on Tuesday at 4am and the alert on the truck said "ice possible...drive with caution". I think our 4' frost depths had some safety factor built in thinking that it would never exceed 3'...

/ New Well #43  

Last December the temps were in the low -30's - -40F. A normal winter sees us with lots of snow in December and the deep cold in January for only two weeks or so, then it warms up and we get lots of snow the rest of January all of February and March.

/ New Well #44  
I like snow and cold, but you guys are making me glad I don't live up north! :)

/ New Well
Yup she gets pretty darn frosty here sometimes. There was a few mornings over the winter when the truck almost didn't start and that's with antifreeze mixed for -45, block heater plugged in all night and out of the direct wind.

So we've had the well operational for several days now, it's got a slight hint of an iron smell but only with the hot water. Its better than the old well and we have noticed a difference just since Wednesday with the water quality, it's getting better by the day. I still have to get the softener dialed in properly.
Have I mentioned that the wife is really really happy? Lol

/ New Well #47  
On your hot water you may need to pull and inspect the Anode Rod inside it as it may be gone. IT gets ate up faster with iron bacteria in the water, they loves the inside of hot water heaters & they live fine in hot water. The drain on the heater should also be flushed more often as the iron settles out inside the tanks more. Keeping leached out minerals out of the bottom of the tanks helps overall water quality out of the hot water taps, laundry and showers will fell better.

Mark

/ New Well #48  
This should make it clear as mud!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-05-11 07.55.19.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-05-11 07.55.19.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 71
   / New Well #49  
I have no idea what the R value of dirt is. The 1" of styrofoam=1' of dirt I got from a construction foreman years ago.
The "R" number isn't important... what matters is knowing that it works.
Thank you.

/ New Well #50  
Yup she gets pretty darn frosty here sometimes. There was a few mornings over the winter when the truck almost didn't start and that's with antifreeze mixed for -45, block heater plugged in all night and out of the direct wind.

So we've had the well operational for several days now, it's got a slight hint of an iron smell but only with the hot water. Its better than the old well and we have noticed a difference just since Wednesday with the water quality, it's getting better by the day. I still have to get the softener dialed in properly.
Have I mentioned that the wife is really really happy? Lol

If you have iron in the water, DO NOT use Chlorine/Chlorox/Javex in the wash.