New Well

/ New Well
If you have iron in the water, DO NOT use Chlorine/Chlorox/Javex in the wash.
The field test kit the drill operator used showed 1 ppm for iron. What's wrong with using bleach?

Good or bad I don't know but I would think it's not terrible. I shocked the well last night and ran a garden tap for a good chunk of the day today. Just had a shower and the iron smell is not there now, I had lots of suds too so I think I've got the softener pretty close to what we will want. I did close off the softener while running out the javex. After running the outside tap today the water quality seems even better than it was yesterday. I have heard people say that well water gets better the more it's used, I don't know if that's just talk or not.

/ New Well #52  
it's true. you have a lot of residue, sediment, etc in the well, from the drilling process, especially a deep well.

Once you've run it for a while, the normal fresh water will replace the 'drilled' water, the well walls will wash clean and the veins that feed the well will wash out and settle in to producing clean water.

this does take some time.

/ New Well #53  
Iron in the water and bleach will make all your whites yellowish (skid mark yellow). Conditioned water wont do that.

/ New Well
A neighbor around here has that problem with the skid mark yellow, lol that's a funny but true comparison.

Oldpilgrim, I'm new to drilled wells but what you say makes sense. I would assume that the settling down of everything would take several weeks to a couple of months????

/ New Well #55  
A neighbor around here has that problem with the skid mark yellow, lol that's a funny but true comparison.

Oldpilgrim, I'm new to drilled wells but what you say makes sense. I would assume that the settling down of everything would take several weeks to a couple of months????

good assumption :) :thumbsup:

/ New Well #56  

My well was drilled some 15-20 years ago and still pumps real fine silt. It was really bad when first drilled but now almost unnoticeable.

Harry K

/ New Well #57  
My well was drilled some 15-20 years ago and still pumps real fine silt. It was really bad when first drilled but now almost unnoticeable.

Harry K

My situation is a lot like yours. 19 year old well. I have a whole house filter to get out the real fine silt. I also need a calcium tank to de-acidify the water as it it's pH is a little off. But with those additions, I get great water.

/ New Well
Got some landscaping in the front finished off, here's the wishing well cover I had mentioned, kudos goes to my FIL for this one. Still need to add a small bucket and rope, just for looks.

well2.jpg well1.jpg

/ New Well #59  

My drilled well is still pumping a bit of silt after some 20 years. When first drilled there would bea thin layer of it on the bottom of glass of water, now, not enough to really notice.

Harry K

Harry K