My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #41  
Good God that's a lot of work. Wouldn't it be easier to make forms and pour concrete for the footer? Why go cinder block?

Looks excellent, but I was thinking the same thing.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #42  
Nice looking roof. Are you installing it with felt paper under each individual row of shingles? It looks that way from the pics. Just curious.

YES...but not for each individual row of shingles. Standard 4' rolls, I was just rolling out the paper as I went up. It was good for a few rows. Just made it easier to do it that way. They recommend going over an existing asphalt roof. You just have to use 40# felt paper to provide a clean smooth surface for the metal shingles.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
The footings were dug because they wanted to get down to where the stone begins. The block is the outer wall of the foundation and also is the base that our SIPS walls will sit on.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #45  
look at all the Virginia pine...in all places Virginia! hahaha. Yall can have that stuff

I agree it looks beautiful but that must have taken forever.

Block work took about 3 days and another day to fill. I can't say it has been particularly cheap but I found it to be reasonable block was specified by my architect. Perhaps we could have done poured walls. I'll have to investigate that for next time ( the barn or cidery)

look at all the Virginia pine...in all places Virginia! hahaha. Yall can have that stuff

The mountain is also rich in oak, poplar, maple, walnut, sycamore and birch. A fair amount of white pine was harvested as well. I love it.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #48  
The mountain is also rich in oak, poplar, maple, walnut, sycamore and birch. A fair amount of white pine was harvested as well. I love it.

+1, and beautiful this time of year.

Our electric service lines have been dug in and run to a location about 70 yds from the house. They did a very nice job but it tore the road up pretty good. The reason I only put #3 rock down was because I knew a lot of large trucks would be making the trip up and down and pounding it into the road and that would give us a solid road base to smooth out and then cover with crusher run. I'm glad I went that route because I'd be upset if I had done the final topcoat only to have it rutted up and covered with dirt. I have to say I am very happy to have the service box up here. Image1507998676.274952.jpg

The walls were filled and the anchor screws were set. 102 of them. That's a lot of holes to drill for the sill plates. I began laying out the plumbing for waste connections and ended up spending all of today changing the layout of the bathroom on the fly. I needed more room space for my boiler room. Wife and I came up with a layout that she likes and will give us the space we need. It requires me to move one three foot wall and reposition some drains.
IMG_7733.JPG