Tree shear

/ Tree shear #21  
My Brother had a shear that would cut up to 12" trees. I shear that doesn't also have a tree clamp to hold the tree after it's cut is an accident waiting to happen. Very, very dangerous!!!!!

As to running the jaw, tractor size relates to hydraulic flow rate which related to speed at which it will cut. My Brother used it on a Kubota L3240. It was slow. I used it on a Bobcat T300, much faster.

Lastly, a tree shear leaves a disaster behind. Stumps. You can cut them flush with the ground and in a couple years they'll be sticking up high enough to hit with a brush cutter.

I would only suggest a shear on land you never, ever plan to do anything with.

Oddly, on a smaller tractor, I'd not even want a clamp, because I can see that as being more dangerous. The tree I dropped on Saturday would have taken a four-ton Mahindra down with it, had it been attached.

/ Tree shear
xfaxman how do you like the telehandler and did it work good with the shear? I was thinging that it would speed cutting around fields and still be able to handle hay bales and a hay accumulator?
Someone mentioned using a shear with a grabber on it and I don't want that as it don't take much of a tree to push a excavator around little own a tractor. Below is some stuff I have cleaned up after storms and saved for lumber my favorite clean up tool is the b26tlb and grapple.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130702_100507.png
    ForumRunner_20130702_100507.png
    430 KB · Views: 280
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 311
  • 1458527592645.jpg
    1458527592645.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 313
   / Tree shear #23  
xfaxman how do you like the telehandler and did it work good with the shear? I was thinging that it would speed cutting around fields and still be able to handle hay bales and a hay accumulator?
----------------------------------
The compact telehandler is the most awesome machine that I have ever owned and I have owned more tractors than I count on all my fingers. :D

It was so easy, faster and no neck strain from looking behind trying to line up the shear.

That old cedar tree cutter isn't made now, but you might look at this style: Tree Shears - Long Reach Tree Shear - XLR12UN | Sidney Attachments

ts.JPG

And: "Commercial" Skid Steer Mount - Precision Manufacturing

Product-2.jpg

/ Tree shear #24  
Oddly, on a smaller tractor, I'd not even want a clamp, because I can see that as being more dangerous. The tree I dropped on Saturday would have taken a four-ton Mahindra down with it, had it been attached.

A shear with or without a clamp is an extremely inpredictable tool. I would never use one on a tractor without a strong canopy. It's not a matter of "if" you drop a tree on the tractor, it's "when".

/ Tree shear #25  
There is a good reason forestry equipment has all those guards and cages.

I had an excavator here gently pushing over (maybe 12") dead elm trees. The top broke off one landing on the engine house. Not a new machine by any means but the owner was quite upset!

/ Tree shear #26  
There is a good reason forestry equipment has all those guards and cages.

I had an excavator here gently pushing over (maybe 12") dead elm trees. The top broke off one landing on the engine house. Not a new machine by any means but the owner was quite upset!

A tree shear brings to mind the Lost in Space TV show. The robot's favorite saying, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger"!!!!!

/ Tree shear #27  
Not sure if you moved on something yet but the pto driven tree saw will remove a lot more tree(s) in a shorter period of time. Cuts clean to the ground. PTO version on a tractor has zero loss of power. Private party selling one cheap on craigslist in Arcadia, WI.2017Dec Craigs.PNG20170420_154356.jpg.

/ Tree shear #28  
A neighbor near me has had a shear for several years. Bought a saw a couple years ago. It's been parked in his front yard by the hiway for sale for the last six months or so. He was using it on a Skid Steer. Not sure why he doesn't like it.

As to stump height, a shear or saw will cut them flush with the ground with no problem. But as I mentioned earlier, depending on tree type, the stump will eventually expose itself. No big deal if you don't mind that.

/ Tree shear #29  
A neighbor near me has had a shear for several years. Bought a saw a couple years ago. It's been parked in his front yard by the hiway for sale for the last six months or so. He was using it on a Skid Steer. Not sure why he doesn't like it.

As to stump height, a shear or saw will cut them flush with the ground with no problem. But as I mentioned earlier, depending on tree type, the stump will eventually expose itself. No big deal if you don't mind that.

Is your neighbor selling his tree shear or saw?

/ Tree shear #30  
I can give you some info from my operation here. Every spring I have many stands of Ponderosa pine that need to be thinned. This means I cut anywhere from 750 to 900 small ( 1" to 6" ) pines, drag them out and pile them. Then I put on my chipper and go back around to the piles and chip them all. This will usually take me two months. I'm no longer a young buck - I'm 75 - and have to be very careful - especially watching out that I quit with the chain saw before I get tired and dangerous.

Anyhow, I looked at and seriously considered getting some type of 3-point tree cutter. It boiled down to simply spending too much time fiddling around, trying to get the tractor in position to cut the tree. During all this fiddle pooping around - I could easily cut half a dozen to a dozen trees with my chain saw.

When compared to the speed and ease of using a chain saw - I don't understand how any type of tree sheer/cutter can be justified. Besides how will you handle the 10" trees.