Standby Generator

/ Standby Generator #21  
I upgraded from a 330 gallon to a 500 gallon at the recommendation of my installer/dealer.

Thanks. Is it above ground or buried?

/ Standby Generator
Above ground. The only LP loads besides the generator is a heater in my shop and the range top (dual fuel range). Everything else is electric.

Thanks. Is it above ground or buried?

/ Standby Generator #23  
These things cost a lot of money to run. At least when I ran the numbers 6 or so years ago.

When I have an outage, I run my portable for an hour and shut off for 6 Hours.

/ Standby Generator #24  
Friend says he read of Diesel shortages. Maybe time to top up the tanks?

Fuel dealer says he knows of nothing like that. Prices are stable.

I ordered clear and dyed. I asked him why quoted price on clear is higher than at the pumps. Next thing I know, he adjusted it! I should have asked that years ago!

/ Standby Generator #25  
These things cost a lot of money to run. At least when I ran the numbers 6 or so years ago.

I have a Generac Guardian 16kw home generator with a 200amp auto switch, no problems, on my 3rd year. Only costs is a yearly oil change and the natural gas used to exercise the generator twice a month. very happy with it-came with a 10 year warranty.

/ Standby Generator #26  
Interesting - - been out here in the pucker weeds 36+ years. I will get 1 or 2 announced outages a year. Local Co-Op utility upgrading their equipment - usually two hour outage. Otherwise its normal to go 6 to 8 even ten years with no outages. In all the years out here - one major outage and it lasted 27 hours.

Our Co-Op electric utility is recognized in the industry as one of the very best in the business and, also, with one of the lowest electric rates.

I spent my "allocated standby generator funds" on a new and bigger rear blade - thank you.

Where does one go to sign up for "allocated standby generator funds"? Does your Co-Op provide them? :)

/edit - forgot the smiley

Last edited:
   / Standby Generator #27  
What size propane tanks are you using for your standby generators in colder climates. Trying to figure what I would need.

We currently have 2 500 gallon tanks.

We already had a self-owned 500 gallon above ground tank when we installed the 22kw (LP furnace as backup for heat pump). Our practice had been to call for a tank fill prior to the heating season if we were down by 100+ gallons. After spending the first winter thinking about vapor generation at lower temps & the potential demands from both generator & furnace, the following spring I ended up buying a second 500 gallon tank that was paralleled to the original tank .

The additional tank offers more than double the volume - the additional surface area means the tanks can be drawn down lower before vapor generation becomes an issue, so where previously I could count on drawing down to the 20% point on the one, now both could maybe be drawn down to 10% which would increase the usable amount by about 50 gallons per tank (a guesstimate, but not unreasonable...).

I want to be sure to have enough to run the furnace + the generator even if we have a protracted ice event that not only knocks out power, but also would make getting a refill problematic.

BTW, we are also in the group who finds that outages suddenly become less frequent after installing an autostart system. We typically had two or more 6+ hour outages per year prior to the install, virtually none since ...

/ Standby Generator #28  
Interesting - - been out here in the pucker weeds 36+ years. I will get 1 or 2 announced outages a year. Local Co-Op utility upgrading their equipment - usually two hour outage. Otherwise its normal to go 6 to 8 even ten years with no outages. In all the years out here - one major outage and it lasted 27 hours.

You guys out there on the East side of the state don't have any trees to fall onto power lines and cause outages!!! :laughing:

/ Standby Generator #29  

Disagree,our 17kw ran for 4 days straight 24-7 figured we used 7%-10% LP during that time frame according to the gauge on my propane tank.Change the oil once a year(full synthetic)and top off the battery water,good to go..

/ Standby Generator #30  
Disagree,our 17kw ran for 4 days straight 24-7 figured we used 7%-10% LP during that time frame according to the gauge on my propane tank.Change the oil once a year(full synthetic)and top off the battery water,good to go..
C'mon - give us figures we can deal with - what's the size of your tank or tanks? Big difference between 1 250 gallon tank or twin 1,000's.