pto backup generator

/ pto backup generator #71  
As for knowing if it's running? Generac, and I'd suspect others, send messages through an app to your cell phone.

Fur sure, Cummins. No doubt all other major players as well.

/ pto backup generator #72  
My point was if there’s a multiple day outage when nobody is home, the generator runs 24 hours a day.
Seems like only minimal (~1/2 hour, ~2-3 times a day?) duty is required.
I guess if you have a sump that takes in a lot of water, or a leaky fridge/freezer, it may need to run more.
Seems like a lot of waste.

/ pto backup generator #73  
My point was if there’s a multiple day outage when nobody is home, the generator runs 24 hours a day.
I guess if you have a sump that takes in a lot of water, or a leaky fridge/freezer, it may need to run more.

I see your point. The downside of no power when not home may be worse than it running if your not home and don't care. Frankly, I'll take the chance here in the Midwest. But, I have no generator yet.

/ pto backup generator #74  

I suppose an alternative is a phone-tied system that calls a number when there's an outage, which notifies a service* who sends someone out to start your PTO (or other manually operated generator) three times a day for a half hour. Somehow I think that would quickly add up to more than the additional cost of installing a standby generator (even running 24/7 as long as needed).

*That assumes the availability (and reliability) of such a service in your area...

/ pto backup generator #75  
I priced a whole home full auto setup.... $11,750 cash installed.... that痴 if my natural gas meter was big enough ( they didn稚 think it would be) and placing it on the bedroom side of the house near gas meter instead of opposite side of the house to keep noise away from bedrooms.

I am more often in town than not and when not home, I have someone house sitting. I have step by step instructions on the breaker box so it痴 not hard for anyone to get up and going.

While I would love whole home, auto setup.... the wife and I decided it wasn稚 work the cost.

My Generic 16kw is quiet enough and we have it on the bedroom side of the house-we can sleep soundly knowing she is working for us :) I got lucky and sized up my NG line and meter before I had it installed. Should be 7 water columns for a gas furnace and 16kw Generac generator. I am sooooo excited not having to get up in the storm or freezing cold to startup my portable generator or PTO. My tractor with snowblower can sleep soundly until needed :) And of course no refueling required! I still have my portable generator if required and a battery pack for my pellet stove.
My only issue is I would like to install a 15kw solar system next year-but, how to incorporate all this together? Or will the solar panels make the Generac obsolete.....I don't know yet.

/ pto backup generator #76  
My only issue is I would like to install a 15kw solar system next year-but, how to incorporate all this together? Or will the solar panels make the Generac obsolete.....I don't know yet.

Short answer, NO.

Unless you want to spend a hundred grand (or more - I know someone who recently spent roughly double that just on batteries, for their house) on batteries, power from solar doesn't last long when the sun don't shine...

IMO any off-grid power system needs AT LEAST two sources of power. You will never have any one at all times. Wind, water, sun - they all tend to have different cycles, even with two "alternative" sources I would still want a generator.

/ pto backup generator #77  
I am sooooo excited not having to get up in the storm or freezing cold to startup my portable generator or PTO..
What REALLY excites me is, I don't have to pay that HUGE ridiculous gas bill at the end of the month, because I was too lazy to go out and start my generator! lol

SR

/ pto backup generator #78  
What REALLY excites me is, I don't have to pay that HUGE ridiculous gas bill at the end of the month, because I was too lazy to go out and start my generator! lol

SR

There is that.

And then you can take all that money you saved from not putting in a standby system AND the fuel to run it needlessly, and buy another tractor or implement. Or put in a an automatic beer dispenser, take a vacation in Tahiti (well, maybe better not in case the power goes out while you're away for a month), or whatever.

As they say, different strokes for different folk (not saying you're different, btw).

/ pto backup generator #79  
Short answer, NO.

Unless you want to spend a hundred grand (or more - I know someone who recently spent roughly double that just on batteries, for their house) on batteries, power from solar doesn't last long when the sun don't shine...

IMO any off-grid power system needs AT LEAST two sources of power. You will never have any one at all times. Wind, water, sun - they all tend to have different cycles, even with two "alternative" sources I would still want a generator.
My 9.8kw grid tied system was about $30k. Had to reinforce the barn roof ($4k) & about 2-3k to install a 400@ disconnect & proper sized 100@ service to the barn (in addition to the solar wiring).

As it's a grid tied system, it effectively uses the grid as a battery. Due to synchronizing with the grids 60hz & not killing lineman restoring the grid, my inverter goes offline as soon as the grid does.

I'd be looking at several grand for a new inverter & probably as much for a battery charging & management system. Pure guess, but I'm betting over $10k for batteries.

As others have said you need a backup system to charge the batteries if the panels are covered in snow or clouds. My 25kw PTO generator could do it, but wouldnt be optimal.

Generally I'm happy with my solar power system. Until we got air conditioning we had a net surplus. Paying the power company a bit more than I'd like this hit summer though.

/ pto backup generator #80  
I'd be looking at several grand for a new inverter & probably as much for a battery charging & management system. Pure guess, but I'm betting over $10k for batteries.

As others have said you need a backup system to charge the batteries if the panels are covered in snow or clouds. My 25kw PTO generator could do it, but wouldnt be optimal.

As you suggest, an off-grid system REQUIRES batteries. How much is the question.

Here in the NE we often have a week or more where there is little/no appreciable solar gain. If you want to get through that with no dead dinosaurs sacrificed you will need a huge battery bank (which, ironically requires the sacrifice of many dead dinosaurs) OR be willing to light candles and go without ice cubes, plus other assorted mild inconveniences.