Portable generator powering most of house in power outages.

/ Portable generator powering most of house in power outages.
Added fuel storage to the system. Got a 55 gallon drum that had 5-W20 oil in it before I got it. I used 2 or 3 gallons of gas to thin the remaining oil and dump it out of the drum.

I used the Fill-rite hand pump setup. It produces more gallons per stroke than the crank style. I have a 5PSI 2 way vent on it to keep expansion and contraction from effecting the structure of the barrel. It took $20 in piping parts to attach the 3/4” pump to the 1” filter then back to 3/4” for hose hookup. All together it’s about $300 for the setup.

I filled it with 100% ethanol free gasoline, treated with PRI-G for storage.

I plan to use the fuel for small engine stuff around the house. Once I have it 1 year I will empty whatever is left into my truck and refill and retreat the new fuel to store for another year.

IMG_3346.JPG

I will be doing the same with a drum for diesel.

Last edited:
   / Portable generator powering most of house in power outages. #32  
Added fuel storage to the system. Got a 55 gallon drum that had 5-W20 oil in it before I got it. I used 2 or 3 gallons of gas to thin the remaining oil and dump it out of the drum.

I used the Fill-rite hand pump setup. It produces more gallons per stroke than the crank style. I have a 5PSI 2 way vent on it to keep expansion and contraction from effecting the structure of the barrel. It took $20 in piping parts to attach the 3/4” pump to the 1” filter then back to 3/4” for hose hookup. All together it’s about $300 for the setup.

I plan to use the fuel for small engine stuff around the house. Once I have it 1 year I will empty whatever is left into my truck and refill and retreat the new fuel to store for another year.

View attachment 573681

Cool!!!

How will you transport it and off load it?

Are you keeping it under a roof to keep water out of the barrel?

0AA61199-376F-4659-A358-F55E1E600CC5.jpeg
Cool!!!

How will you transport it and off load it?

Are you keeping it under a roof to keep water out of the barrel?

I used the FEL on my Kubota to unload the full drum.

It is under a metal carport I store firewood under. It’s about 10- 15 yards from my shop.

/ Portable generator powering most of house in power outages. #34  
I use this Vertical Drum Clamp to unload my 55 gallon drum of diesel

I thought about getting one but I will not be moving these barrels that often. The bucket and a ratchet strap did just fine so far.

I will have pallet forks before the end of the year and that will help too.

/ Portable generator powering most of house in power outages. #36  

Hadn't heard of that before....... how long have you been using PRI-G, and where do you buy it ?

Same product used in gas and diesel ?

Rgds, D.

Hadn't heard of that before....... how long have you been using PRI-G, and where do you buy it ?

Same product used in gas and diesel ?

Rgds, D.

I had not heard of it but it was recommend by many folks across survival forums for fuel storage.

I watched a video where the guy put it in generators he said he had not messed with in 3 years... after shaking it up and waiting a few min he got them to fire up....

There is PRI-G for gasoline and PRI-D for diesel.

I bought it off amazon.

/ Portable generator powering most of house in power outages. #38  
If there are functional fail safe interlocks then the panel is not being back fed.

/ Portable generator powering most of house in power outages. #39  
Nice writeup!

I managed to finally get a gen setup recently. The KEY was the interlock! I have a manufactured home, which means I have a main panel that's outside the house. I needed to be able to power more than just the house. Key is the pump house. Now I've got a garage (have had a shed too), and this is served by the main panel. Everything from this panel can be run from the generator now.

It was a couple years back that I'd picked up my generator, a 1993 Onan/Cummins 7.5kW (DKD), with a Kubota diesel. I have on-site storage of diesel fuel, so generally I have ample fuel. And I'm a diesel guy :D Wasn't until I got my garage built that I was able to tie everything together: generator sits on a concrete slab next to the garage and plugs into a box off the side of the garage- the box goes into conduit that runs away from the garage and over to the service panel.

Be sure that if you are going to run your generator back-feeding your panel that you un-bond the neutral (referred to as "floating neutral"). The neutral needs to go from the generator head to your panel and NOT tie into any ground on the generator. This is important as there should only be ONE neutral path (and that will be at the panel): a proper neutral path is what can save your life. When set up this way the generator should NOT be used as a standalone generator: I removed the outlet boxes off my generator so that there's no way someone could use it standalone (still need to label it such). Check with your equipment manufacturer (info, or call): could be a simple jumper or rewire; could be that it can't be done- ground and neutral are tied in the generator head?

For figuring when power is restored, I'll know by seeing lights come on at the neighbors.:D

If the gen set has a floating neutral a two pole transfer switch is required on single phase 120/240 . If the generator has a bonded Neutral , a theee pile transfer switch that switches the neutral is required .

/ Portable generator powering most of house in power outages. #40  
I had not heard of it but it was recommend by many folks across survival forums for fuel storage.

I watched a video where the guy put it in generators he said he had not messed with in 3 years... after shaking it up and waiting a few min he got them to fire up....

There is PRI-G for gasoline and PRI-D for diesel.

I bought it off amazon.

Thanks.... looks like it came out of the industrial world, and they don't spend on retail advertising.

Shouldn't need a 55gal drum :laughing:, unless I'm planning for back2back apocalpyses..... I'll keep this in mind for future A orders....

You've probably read this earlier.... posting for other folks.......

PRI-D, PRI-G - How It Works @ Survival Unlimited.com

^ Nice #'s on that ASTM D-525-98 gasoline stability test.

Rgds, D