Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor?

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I've read a bunch of threads on this topic and sort of got it in my head that they didn't work on long driveways with trees in the way. Then just recently it hit me that I didn't need to put it at the front of my property, but that I could put it fairly close to the house. I know it's kind of a duh moment, but that's how my brain works sometimes. It takes me awhile to get one idea out of my head and think up other ways to do something.

So instead of putting it 800 feet away from my house, I can put it 100 feet away and have a clear line of sight from the sensor to my house. With multiple delivery's a day, the dogs have become used to UPS, FedEx and the USPS, so they just ignore them. That was our driveway alarm system!!!

Looking on Amazon, the Guardline seems to have a lot of good reviews. There are a few bad ones too, but overall, it looks like most people like it. Before buying it, I'm hoping some of you on here can share your experience with it, good and bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFZUKG...&pd_rd_r=53d5cd7b-ffc9-11e8-a99c-25f61c0681a3

Or if you know of a better product that you can recommend, that would really help too!!

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #2  
This is what I had, It worked great for a few years until I sold the property.
Optex RCTD-20U

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #3  
The irony is I just put one up the other day.

I started off with the 500' model the other month. B line from the tree (from where I mounted it to) to my house to where I mounted it was right around 400' (wanted it further away from the house to give us more of a "heads up" when someone was coming down the driveway).

Problem was, cars were in the way and were causing interference to the indoor receiver (took me a while to figure it out as sometimes it would work, and sometimes it wouldn't, took a while to figure out it was all depended on how many cars were parked in front of the house). Could be wrong, but I don't believe wood (trees) is the issue for signal strength, but metal is (I know they said when I talked to them that the biggest issue is generally with metal frame homes and where the reciever is). Also, if you still have a cordless phone in the home, don't put the reciever next to it as that will jam the signal as well.

Talked with the company, I sent them back the 500' model and got the 1/4 mile model and as of today, seems to work perfect. They even gave me a discount on the 1/4 mile unit so it came out to the same price as the 500' model.

Keep in mind, I originally bought it because a friend had one and he showed me it as his house and he has had it for more than a while, and he's been happy with it which sold me on it to begin with.

Although the newer model only has been in since yesterday, I ran a bunch of tests with it with parked cars and no problems now like I had with the shorter range unit.

Indoor unit can be plugged in or battery. Alarm is loud and you can set it to various sounds. Was thinking about getting a sensor for the lower field (you can run multiple sensors to the one indoor unit and then "code" each sensor to a particuclar sound so you know what area is "going off"). If you think about going this route (multiple sensors) get the long range model as both indoor and outdoor unit are different.

Wife was just getting tired of UPS surprising us with her working at the house and having UPS show up unexpectedly with the dogs around.

For mounting, instead of the screws they gave me I just used 36" zip ties and strapped it to the tree. Just seemed easier that way. Also put it on a tree where it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb (lots of limbs and more of a berry bush). Don't get a lot of traffic at all, just don't want it advertised that I have something up if that makes sense.

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #5  
I have the one from Dakota Alert. Works well. My sensors furthest sensor is about 400' away. The only problem I have that you probably won't have because you're in Texas and I'm in NH is that when it is cold out and you drive a cold vehicle past it the sensor can't "see" it because it's looking for the difference in temperature.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert...8&qid=1544812326&sr=8-3&keywords=dakota+alert

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #6  
I needed a driveway sensor for my alarm system, so it would be wired to the home alarm system. I wanted the sensor to be a long way up the driveway from the house. The Dakota Alert vehicle sensor fit the bill. 25 Series Products :: DCPA-25 Driveway Alarm Kit

It has a buried sensor under (or next to) the driveway. The sensor goes to a transmitter box and the receiver is in the house, wired to the alarm.

It's only for detecting vehicles and it's behind a locked gate, so if it's tripped, it acts as a door opening on the alarm system. With this scheme, an intruder trips the alarm BEFORE be busts into the house. Thankfully, I've had a few alarms, but no break-ins.

I have a previous generation model, but since then they've gotten pretty pricey. ($300ish) The only false alarms I seem to get are from heavy lightning.

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #7  
The irony is I just put one up the other day.

I started off with the 500' model the other month. B line from the tree (from where I mounted it to) to my house to where I mounted it was right around 400' (wanted it further away from the house to give us more of a "heads up" when someone was coming down the driveway).

Problem was, cars were in the way and were causing interference to the indoor receiver (took me a while to figure it out as sometimes it would work, and sometimes it wouldn't, took a while to figure out it was all depended on how many cars were parked in front of the house). Could be wrong, but I don't believe wood (trees) is the issue for signal strength, but metal is (I know they said when I talked to them that the biggest issue is generally with metal frame homes and where the reciever is). Also, if you still have a cordless phone in the home, don't put the reciever next to it as that will jam the signal as well.

Talked with the company, I sent them back the 500' model and got the 1/4 mile model and as of today, seems to work perfect. They even gave me a discount on the 1/4 mile unit so it came out to the same price as the 500' model.

Keep in mind, I originally bought it because a friend had one and he showed me it as his house and he has had it for more than a while, and he's been happy with it which sold me on it to begin with.

Although the newer model only has been in since yesterday, I ran a bunch of tests with it with parked cars and no problems now like I had with the shorter range unit.

Indoor unit can be plugged in or battery. Alarm is loud and you can set it to various sounds. Was thinking about getting a sensor for the lower field (you can run multiple sensors to the one indoor unit and then "code" each sensor to a particuclar sound so you know what area is "going off"). If you think about going this route (multiple sensors) get the long range model as both indoor and outdoor unit are different.

Wife was just getting tired of UPS surprising us with her working at the house and having UPS show up unexpectedly with the dogs around.

For mounting, instead of the screws they gave me I just used 36" zip ties and strapped it to the tree. Just seemed easier that way. Also put it on a tree where it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb (lots of limbs and more of a berry bush). Don't get a lot of traffic at all, just don't want it advertised that I have something up if that makes sense.

Sounds interesting. What brand, model is the 1/4 mile unit?

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #8  
I would not want a motion detector sensor. Too many false alarms.

I looked for the light beam type to put at the gate, but never got one.

This type would be my second choice: Wireless Driveway Alarm by Mighty Mule - FM231

FM231-Drive-Alarm.jpg

For now we are using our dog and his super sensitive hearing. :)

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #9  
I have 2 of the 1/4 mile units for almost two years and they work great. One is about 1200’ from the house and another about 200’. I have a long tone on the one (Raiders of the lost Ark) furthest away and a ding dong tone on the one closest to the house. Signal goes through trees fine, I just had to locate the receiver on the window sill. If/when these go I would definitely buy it again. Animals will set off but it will pick up people walking up the road and alert where buried types don’t.

01F1CEB7-8D57-4163-880B-2CADEBCF7E8D.jpeg

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #10  
I have 2 of the 1/4 mile units for almost two years and they work great. One is about 1200’ from the house and another about 200’. I have a long tone on the one (Raiders of the lost Ark) furthest away and a ding dong tone on the one closest to the house. Signal goes through trees fine, I just had to locate the receiver on the window sill. If/when these go I would definitely buy it again. Animals will set off but it will pick up people walking up the road and alert where buried types don’t.

View attachment 582973

I had one of those but returned it due to low volume. Could not hear it from another room.