Deer season

/ Deer season #71  
Today was the first day of youth and apprentice deer weekend in virginia. Sunrise was 7:06. We were in the blind at 6:15. I realized inleft my range finder and my knockers in the house so i hoofed it back and we were once again settled in at 625. First legal light was 6:36. By 7 we had watched a doe and fawn walk thru the field. And at 7:06 my daughter pulled the trigger on her first deer. 150 yds. Broadside thru the lungs and hit the top of the heart. Less than 10 minutes later, she shot a second doe in almost the same spot. Brodside. Thru the heart. .243 Remington model Seven. She was all smiles and asking when we can go again. She is 17. I took her hunting once before, 4 years ago. We didn’t see anything that day
View attachment 622819

Congratulations to your daughter!!!! Now you need to finish off your house so you can enjoy grilling those venison steaks!!!!

/ Deer season #72  
Congratulations to your daughter!!!! Now you need to finish off your house so you can enjoy grilling those venison steaks!!!!
Amen to that. Thanks for subscribing to my YT channel also.

/ Deer season #73  
Get the most out of your game meat...always remember:
The quality of the meat harvested from game animals is 100% related to a quick kill and the cooling process that starts the second the heart stops...
For the best quality meat...big game should be field dressed as soon as possible after the kill...(also applies to domestic meat stock)...

We had them at the butchers as quick as we could. It's been unseasonably warm here lately. But today we were truly fortunate. It stayed in the low 60's and overcast until we had the deer hanging in the cooler at the butcher. It got blazing hot later and was in the high 80's with bright sun, but I was working on the farm by then so it didn't matter.

/ Deer season
Got a white turkey on camera

IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG

/ Deer season #75  
My food plot is coming along nicely!! been irrigating every day to offset the ridiculous heat.
pic 1 is a mix of turnips, rapeseed and kale. pic 2 will turn into a sea of clover and chickory.

KIMG0198.JPG

KIMG0196.JPG

Looking forward to rain and cooler weather so i can stop irrigating and give this area a rest until the rut.

/ Deer season #76  
Set up my camera Saturday afternoon near my favorite stand at the ranch in Central Texas and got this guy on video around 2.30 Sunday morning.

Axis 09.29.19.png

/ Deer season #78  
A8EAD4CA-366E-40D4-BDEA-DB28E95F7074.jpeg
Nice looking axis. Are they free range there?

They are free range. I took this one several years ago and he was #26 in the SCI record book at the time. I haven稚 checked the records lately to see where he is now.

/ Deer season #79  
They sure do look good on the wall. I've only shot one, and I had it done in a full mount.

My wife has taken three does, and they sure where tasty!!!!

1619.jpg