Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #61  
Is there any reason that the hub will not drop after removing both snap rings, lower gear and shaft? Although I'm working on a MF1635 the schematics are identical to the 1533.

Thanks

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos
Is there any reason that the hub will not drop after removing both snap rings, lower gear and shaft? Although I'm working on a MF1635 the schematics are identical to the 1533.

Thanks

I would guess the 2 piece seal is holding it from dropping. Try giving the hub some taps on the side with a 'plastic' hammer while pulling down and see if drops then. If it dose, just remember the one side of the seal is still stuck on the axle.

Last edited:
   / Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #63  
Unfortunately it's a no go, after trying the other side with the same results I must be missing something.. Used the BFH (rubber shot one) and pounded away with zero movement. I have noticed that the outer bearing surface moved freely but the inter stays put. Thought about applying heat to it, but don't wish to either damage the bearing or set fire to the inner workings. any other ideas would be appreciated. Attached pictures to show removed split rings. 20190703_141350.jpg20190703_141549.jpg

Unfortunately it's a no go, after trying the other side with the same results I must be missing something.. Used the BFH (rubber shot one) and pounded away with zero movement. I have noticed that the outer bearing surface moved freely but the inter stays put. Thought about applying heat to it, but don't wish to either damage the bearing or set fire to the inner workings. any other ideas would be appreciated. Attached pictures to show removed split rings. View attachment 611440View attachment 611462

I reduced this photo, look at yours at full size to see what I am seeing...

Did you remove the lock ring with pliers/screwdriver something other then lock ring pliers? The reason I ask, there looks like there is a purr on the drop axle. If this is the case, the bearing inner race could be stuck on that purr and that is why the hub wont drop.

Attachments

• 20190703_141350a.jpg
    20190703_141350a.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 331
   / Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #65  
With the help of this thread, I was able to replace both seals on my AGCO ST30x. I struggled to get the bottom cap off, to solve this I drilled a hole in the cap and ran a self tapping screw into the hole and pryed it out that way. (Assuming you have new caps).

also remember to support the housing when you take off the second snap ring, you wouldn't want it to fall on your face.

It's great this post is helping people 12 years later !

With the help of this thread, I was able to replace both seals on my AGCO ST30x. I struggled to get the bottom cap off, to solve this I drilled a hole in the cap and ran a self tapping screw into the hole and pryed it out that way. (Assuming you have new caps).

also remember to support the housing when you take off the second snap ring, you wouldn't want it to fall on your face.

It's great this post is helping people 12 years later !

It is something Mike, still good after so many years!

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #67  
Hello Mr Steve! I need help and so glad your still replying to this old thread. Here is my situation. 2014 MF 1529 compact. No bottom cap like yours. Had to remove outer hub which gives me a small access to the first snap ring. After breaking two pliers I got it undone but not completely off. I was then able to drop the hub off. Now I am stuck. I cannot pull out the rod and inter bearing since it seems I needed to remove the first snap ring all he way off. So here are my questions.

1. How to now remove the snap ring since it is blocking the removal of the rod pulling out. I cannot widening it enough around the rod or do I need to?

2. Since I now have access to the top where the seal is located how in the world can I get that removed? Heat? It is completely stuck on the hub casing. Btw I do not see any of it on the down support so I just need to get it off the casing. As I pick and prod it is all falling into the shaft and bearings. Did not think that was good so I stopped.

3. I do not really see a need to get the second snap ring since I can now get to the seal. So that may make my first question mute. Assuming you agree.

Trying to save $600 from the local shop but this has been painful. Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Hello Mr Steve! I need help and so glad your still replying to this old thread. Here is my situation. 2014 MF 1529 compact. No bottom cap like yours. Had to remove outer hub which gives me a small access to the first snap ring. After breaking two pliers I got it undone but not completely off. I was then able to drop the hub off. Now I am stuck. I cannot pull out the rod and inter bearing since it seems I needed to remove the first snap ring all he way off. So here are my questions.

1. How to now remove the snap ring since it is blocking the removal of the rod pulling out. I cannot widening it enough around the rod or do I need to?
2. Since I now have access to the top where the seal is located how in the world can I get that removed? Heat? It is completely stuck on the hub casing. Btw I do not see any of it on the down support so I just need to get it off the casing. As I pick and prod it is all falling into the shaft and bearings. Did not think that was good so I stopped.

3. I do not really see a need to get the second snap ring since I can now get to the seal. So that may make my first question mute. Assuming you agree.

Trying to save $600 from the local shop but this has been painful. Thank you so much for your help and advice.

I'll try to help, but not knowing if the 1529 is the same might not be easy.

If you feel you can get the seal around the drop spindle (I assume that is what you are calling the rod?), then I guess you could keep it as it is and work around it. But IMO, it would be best to get the knuckle right off the tractor.

If it is the same type of seal in the pictures in my 1st post... Seal on top of the bearing. Take a flat bladed screwdriver (Or use the tool of your choice, angled ended pry bar, etc) and put it between the seal and bearing, then rotate (twist) the screw driver while walking it around the lower part of the seal, to pop the seal out, you are using the bearing as the leverage point to pop the seal. Now remember if this is a 2 piece seal, there could be part of the seal (a collar) still on the spindle, that also must be removed. Look at your new seal, if you put your fingers in the center of the seal and hold tight (push you fingers out) then try to rotate the outer section, if the outer section moves, then it is a 2 piece seal.

I guess this points to my 1st reply.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply of the outcome. Good luck.

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #69  
Three things I can suggest as I just did mine 2 months ago-Do both sides as well as the upper and lower seals. You have to drain all the fluid anyway and you can bet the other will fail as well.
I tried several methods to put the upper seal on but the best one was with a sedge hammer and some patients. I used a muffler coupler and the old seal to hammer it back on. Some actually take the whole axle end off to do this.

I added a heavier recommended lube in the front axle after instead of the hydraulic-but if you hadn't replaced the upper seal then thats why yours keeps leaking.

/ Hub to axle seal job complete on a 1533, Photos #70  
Hello again. Back at it. Not getting very far. I have spent hours trying to pick out the old seal. The new seal seems to be a one piece with a inter metal ring. I cannot make t spin. Seems to be much larger then the first one but I have hacked and cut it up in little pieces you couldn稚 tell. Still no original inter metal ring as far as I can tell.

I need to send pics somehow as I知 sure this has to be completely clean before the new one goes in. I notice everyone else has been able to take the drop spindle out but mine is still in there probably due to the split ring just hanging around the spindle. Lots of debris has fallen inside the bearings and now they grind.

Any other way to send pics on this forum?