Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer #1  

Timmer92

Tractor
Kubota L3901
Hi all,

We have a small hobby farm and it seems like we have a need for a bigger trailer a number of times per year for project materials, hauling the tractor, etc. We also rely on borrowing a livestock trailer a couple of times per year. I did some research on the internet and haven't found much for homemade livestock trailers. It seems to me like I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Any reason I couldn't buy a 16-20' deck trailer and build removable panels for hauling livestock? What am I missing, some sort department of transportation rules?

Thanks!

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer #2  
Sounds better thought out than others similar but less built out plans...

The only down side will be the engineering & effort to build it right or attach or dismount the cage/walls onto. Depending on how acrobatic your livestock I've seen many without roofs. cf398f0b-7b59-4957-8b77-c1e89dc3d590-large16x9_cow1.jpg

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer
Sounds better thought out than others similar but less built out plans...

The only down side will be the engineering & effort to build it right or attach or dismount the cage/walls onto. Depending on how acrobatic your livestock I've seen many without roofs. View attachment 675935

Love that picture. I found that too, and was joking with my neighbor about it - problem solved!

You are correct, there will be some effort. I enjoy projects, so that's fine by me. The roof is a big question. Maybe just cross braces. And possibly a tarp over those.

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer #5  
Man, that DD Ranch link is great.
I think you would be better having a set up like this instead of running your tractor inside a stock trailer, all things considered.

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer #6  
Hi all,

We have a small hobby farm and it seems like we have a need for a bigger trailer a number of times per year for project materials, hauling the tractor, etc. We also rely on borrowing a livestock trailer a couple of times per year. I did some research on the internet and haven't found much for homemade livestock trailers. It seems to me like I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Any reason I couldn't buy a 16-20' deck trailer and build removable panels for hauling livestock? What am I missing, some sort department of transportation rules?

Thanks!

Yes you can do it, I've seen one locally around here. Wooden racks on a tandem flatdeck.

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer #7  
We have something similar, 6x10 landscape trailer, bought a pickup stock rack, modified it a little and we use that to haul steers to the butcher. I will see if I can snag some pictures when its light out.
Could probbaly do the same with corral panels, a gate like this in the back:
PanelGate.jpg
And these for the sides and front:
Panel.jpg

I would want taller ones than that though (they are only 5' tall, I wouldn't go shorter than 6') and I would put plywood around the bottom so that they cant put a hoof through the slats.
I would also put hog panels across the top so they cant jump up and out.

Aaron Z

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer
All great input. I'm starting to see a project in my future! I spent some time looking at used deck trailers yesterday. Any thoughts on a beaver tail on the trailer?

- I understand it helps with ground clearance for loading and unloading drivable equipment. I would see us using it for hauling our tractor, atv's, snowmobiles, etc. To be clear these items are for work. We do not take atv and snowmobile trips. It would just be for taking it in for repairs, etc.
- My concern is that it would put the livestock box a few feet from the end of the trailer. I am curious how that may impact loading and unloading livestock. My thoughts are there could be a situation where I can only back up to the unloading point, but not into the unloading point. I would now have an extra 2-3' I have to worry about for the animals to escape out sideways.

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer #9  
I would carry another gate that is the same length as the one on the panel, then you can use one on each side.
If you want, put a pair of gate hinges on the latch side so that it's permanently attached.

Aaron Z

/ Deck trailer / DIY livestock trailer #10  
So, those livestock trailer inserts are made by Ranger Gate company. I just ordered a Diamond C 16’ dump trailer and also ordering a livestock insert. They will also make the gates any custom size. Cost just over 3K. Easy in, easy out.

(Can’t post link due to only two posts...)