CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
What are the high points of 2-way radios. Would like to talk to employees directly, while working in tractors together in fields. I have only a superficial knowledge. Anything hands free would be preferable, but not required. Range of 5 miles would be great, but 2-3 miles ok since we also have cell phones.
The micro CB’s looked pretty cool, but walkie talkies can be very effective, too.
If it matters, we have hilly obstructed terrain.
Anyone have suggestions?

in first minute of search, found these....looks kind of simple, long range? Midland Micromobile MXT105 (2 Radios)

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #2  
I miss my Nextel 👍
Check out "V belt and son" on YouTube, he uses some type of hands free communication that's integrated into a helmet.
They do forestry mulching and are big Dodge truck fans and Diamond g/n trailer fans also, right up you're alley 😆

Last edited:
   / CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #3  
You have to register with the FCC to use GMRS radios. They do have more power than the simple 2 ways you buy at big box stores, but still only a few watts of transmit power. The best option is Amateur radio, but everyone using it needs to have a license as well.

As for distance....the truth is you just need to get one and try it. Lots of variables could affect the range (interference, line of sight, etc). From the top of a hill I can make 5w do some amazing things!

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #4  
Kind of depends how legal you want to be and how close to population centers you are to get away with bootleg operation. I like Analogue VHF FM, 10 maybe 30 watt. A lot of high quality Motorola Gear available cheap! A few miles in hilly terrain, mobile to mobile is asking a bit much. And that's the thing. Those systems are GREAT. No beeps, and data bursts, just good loud audio, BUT it has be be designed and work for your conditions. No good if it's hit and miss. Looking into more reliable operation and you're into a base/tower or repeater. Base tower will extend base to mobile range but you need the repeater on a tower to get improved mobile to mobile range.

There are outfits you can rent repeater time from. Nowadays on Digital Trunked systems.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #5  
There was a thread on this not to long ago with the MURS radios being recommended. I did a search for it but it did not show up.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions
Oh man, now you guys are talking “radio tech”....no comprende senior...

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #7  
I don't know anything about MURS. Did a little reading. I see no mobile radios. Walkie Talkies have their purpose for sure, but for a fleet, mobiles is what you want. They are always there, no batteries, good loud audio and an outside antenna.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #8  
your not going to see 5 mile transmission in hilly area's prolly less then 1 mile to be honest, these radio's to a degree are line of sight., there is a legal way and non legal way, both will require a repeater of some sort on the highest hill to get anywhere close to the 5 mile range. this includes ham, gmrs, and murs.

if everyone has cell phone's, and you have cell reception, then Zello by far will be the easiest, and do pretty much everything and more, and has no fee's, and allows photo and text transmission as well.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #9  
...The best option is Amateur radio, but everyone using it needs to have a license as well.

OP wants communications for employees, so amateur radio isn't appropriate.

I'd either get classic commercial land mobile radios or GMRS with a portable repeater mounted in a vehicle - park the vehicle on top of a hill. Requires licenses, but now $35 per family unit.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #10  
You have to know what you want. A friend worked for Motorola, and I set him up with a difficult friend and neighbor who has a Golf course. Guy says he JUST wants to talk from his house to the club house. So we get him a base at the house and a portable. Next thing he complains. Wife drove off to town and he lost her! We yanked the stuff out and that was the end of that.

I can't believe the range markings on those consumer walkie talkie sets. They should be sued for false advertisement.

Last edited: