CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #31  
When I deer hunted with dogs we used CBs for comms with single side band and 250 to 500 watt linear amps. We could communicate for miles.

Why would you freely admit on an open forum that you broke both federal and even state fair chase laws?

That is like running up a big pirate flag and admitting to everyone "HEY, I AM A CRIMINAL". Why would you do that?

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #32  
If you have cell phone reception in your fields, skip buying another device, and use an APP like ZELLO or similar. It's a push-to-talk walkie-talkie equivalent. Single conversations. Multiple person conversations. People are ditching their two-way radios for it.

Look into it.
This intrigued me enough to search for Zello. I hadn't heard of this, and it DOES sound like a great solution for PTT but using cell phones that we all have already.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #33  
I can't believe the range markings on those consumer walkie talkie sets. They should be sued for false advertisement.
Transmit power is cheap, limited only by regulation.

The key to good range is a quality receiver. That costs money.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #34  
Why would you freely admit on an open forum that you broke both federal and even state fair chase laws?

That is like running up a big pirate flag and admitting to everyone "HEY, I AM A CRIMINAL". Why would you do that?
Really? I'm pretty sure tracking down amps isn't on the top of anyone's list. If it were the interstates would be a bonanza. Besides that I haven't owned one for 25 years.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #35  
We had both CBs and walky talkies at one point. Don't think either one had much range. The CBs maybe a couple miles. Walkies only a few hundred yards. Be better to just buy a couple throw-away cell phones. That's actually all we have. No smart phone.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #36  
I would get the ham license real easy to pass
the test no code. You can cheap 2 meter ham
radios your range is approx 50 miles a lot farther
than any cb radio. Just make sure your antenna
is turned in for best results. With a cb radio you
can get all kinds of chatter that you might not want
when you are trying to talk. You can get the local
weather on the 2 meter rigs as well. My radio puts
out 60 watts and I have talked as far as Abilene from Big Spring, TX 110 miles
Ham Radio Technician Class Practice Test (updated 2021) sample test here You can
get the technician class book it has all the
answers

willy
Um... not so fast there. You can not use Amateur radio if you have a pecuniary interest. The OP is in the business to make money. Using Amateur radio for business communications is illegal.

One of the basic principles of amateur radio established by the FCC is that you cannot use it for monetary gain. The FCC calls this “pecuniary interest”, which includes any financial benefit for you or for your employer. ... Commercial enterprises are prohibited from using amateur radio frequencies for business purposes

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #37  
What are the high points of 2-way radios. Would like to talk to employees directly, while working in tractors together in fields. I have only a superficial knowledge. Anything hands free would be preferable, but not required. Range of 5 miles would be great, but 2-3 miles ok since we also have cell phones.
The micro CB’s looked pretty cool, but walkie talkies can be very effective, too.
If it matters, we have hilly obstructed terrain.
Anyone have suggestions?

in first minute of search, found these....looks kind of simple, long range? Midland Micromobile MXT105 (2 Radios)
Looking at the Midland package that you researched, These are simple 5 watt GMRS (this will require a single license) radios with a simple 1/4 wave magnetic mount antenna supplied. In the terrain you mentioned you can expect the two to 3 mile range on average that you were looking for. The accessory 6 dB gain antenna would perhaps add an additional mile or two to that range if mounted in the clear on the vehicle. Of course hilltop to hilltop ranges would likely be more for either antenna deployed. There are 15 watts radios available and even 50 watt ones. Each step up in transmitter power will provide a slight increase in range. But it is NOT a linear progression. In other words a 15 watt radio will not provide 3 times the range over a 5 watt radio. A 6 dB gain antenna will quadruple the effective radiated power. So all things being equal a 5 watt radio with a 6 dB gain antenna will have the same effective radiated power as a 20 watt radio with a 0 dB gain antenna (like the 1/4 wave antenna supplied with these radios)

Here is an example of a Midland branded 15 watt radio available on Amazon.
Again these are GMRS radios with a simple family unit type license (no test, just pay your money)

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #38  
Here is a 40 watt midland radio. If you buy some 6 dB gain antennas for this radio you would likely have a mobile ot mobile range in your hilly terrain of maybe 10 miles or so. Again of course hilltop to hilltop the range would likely be more. ......Notice I always use weasel words like "likely", "maybe" etc. because radio ranges CANNOT be predicted with any degree of accuracy by some keyboard warrior that does not know your terrain firsthand, and is not in charge of your installation. in other words, YMMV.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #39  
Sorry about using ham radio when you have a
business. Bad info. Anyone know about old
military radios that could be modified to work
but they would need a license to communicate.
Also they have the power to transmit for your
needs.

willy

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #40  
Cell phone takes too long and distracts you too much for field work. You need to be able to key the mike to talk and then go right back to focusing on what you're doing.
If you paid $$$ for private radios and license, which should have reliability, maybe you would have a fair comparison. But the radio choices under discussion here might have a lot of limits making them a lot less reliable than a cell phone.

Will GMRS work acceptably in your environment? How do you know unless you spend $$$ to get them and try? And what then if the answer is no? Buy radios with a different frequency and do it all again?

You want to key the mike, talk, and go back to work? But how do you know if your transmission even got received or not? Key it again? Adjust the squelch then transmit again? Wait till on top of the hill and transmit again? And it goes on ....

I'd be curious if you solve your issue with cell phones, but in a different way. Could you pre-program some text messages on your phone that cover phrases you would commonly want to communicate? Then grab phone, choose which message to send, and press SEND?