CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions
So CB radios require the license?
im not opposed to it. Just don’t understand if walkie talkie would work on hilly ground for more than a mile or 2.

is a watt of power the same in cheap units as in expensive units?

are the channels on CBs the same as channels on a walk-in talkie?
is there such thing as a CB/walkie talkie?

Sorry for all the beginners questions

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #12  
CB doesn't require a license. You can get base stations, mobile and handheld CB's. You get 40 channels across the platforms. Good for a mile or two with hills, maybe a bit more. Allows you to have units in trucks, tractors or wherever needed. Low cost compared to true mobile units!

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #13  
Keep in mind the CB band (27 Mhz HF radio) will soon change in nature due to the 11 year sunspot cycle. We are now entering cycle 25 and it is expected to peak in the next 5 years or so. What does this mean for the users of 27 Mhz CB? It means that it will likely get much more crowded as the sunspot level and solar flux both rise causing F2 ionospheric layer propagation to increase. This means that nationwide and even worldwide communications can be supported at times on these frequency's. Remember there are only 40 channels to share. What might work perfectly today for your local under 5 mile communications might be useless in a year or two because of thousands of other users on the chosen channel. You may have noticed my choice of "weasel words here like can and may etc." as nothing can be totally predicted concerning Ionospheric propagation and sunspot levels.

This is the main reason I never recommend CB radio for anyone desiring local short range communications. . Although as stated it CAN work perfectly fine during sunspot quiet times. You pays your money and you takes your choice here.

There are 3 other choices FRS, MURS and GMRS. You can pretty much throw out FRS as it is limited to 1/2 watt units with fixed antennas. Think kids walkie talkies blister packed at Wal-Mart. They are not going to do what you want to do. And they share channels with GMRS which will have typically much more powerful units. So toss FRS unless you needs are within a block or two.

That leaves MURS and GMRS

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #14  
You can read all about MURS below on the FCC link, but it is a 2 watt regulated service with no license required in the VHF spectrum.

Then we come to GMRS, which DOES require a single license for each family. It is in the UHF spectrum and allows much more powerful radios and antenna systems even including repeaters. You can read about it here. Be sure to open each tab and read all of the sections. Then come back here for the things you didn't understand.

If you wish to talk to me directly, we can communicate over the phone if you like.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #15  
I still have my old 23-channel CB base station from the late 70s. At night, I used to talk to the World! That was some unit. The final is pushed a little though--About 8.5W as I recall. :sneaky:

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #16  
I don't follow sunspot cycles so don't know how it was in the mid 70s. I just know you couldn't hear the person down the street but ARKANSAS was blaring in loud and clear and when he wasn't talking, the noise level was not to be believed! Remember one guy cursing "watch out where you swingin them beams". Funny, I thought it was a construction site! Beam is a large rotatable antenna.

IF I were you. I would try and find out if some little communications company was running a (Time Share) repeater service in your area. Get you set up with some good used radios maybe. Maybe Google "Mobile Communications"

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #17  
The BIG problem with CB radios today is there is no courtesy on any of the channels like there was back in the 70's. Language has turned into a dumpster fire of obscene words. Darn near impossible to even want one in the car when traveling anymore because of all the trash talk.
CB's I would definatly try to avoid.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #18  
I have one siting in the back floor of my truck that I bought for maybe ten bucks at a thrift store. Plus a mag mount Larson Antenna, costing many more times than the radio.

If I get caught in a traffic jam of unknown origins, I throw that on the roof and I guarantee you, I will know within minutes what's going on. Other modern technology seems all about offering you BS answers.

/ CB, 2-way, walkie talkie, etc. questions #19  
Maps on the phone show you traffic jams far up ahead, the length of the jam, and you can plan exits and bypasses before you get there. Mount it in a holder and it's hands free compliant, since you can voice activate all of it.