Chainsaw Caddy (carrier)

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #11  
I used my heat gun to customize the bend in a piece of 1inch plastic electrical conduit to attach to my subsoiler for burying a cable.

Worked well, but there was a point where it was firm...then in seconds it got very soft and almost too bendable...

You did well to get an entire length of PVC to a workable temperature!

Guessing the area around the holes for the U bolts may be the weakest point, with some of the most stress?

Do you think it might be worth adding some metal straps for reinforcement?

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier)
Like in blacksmithing, heat is your friend. Controlling the heat is the trick.

Having a hard time seeing all the pictures.

Like my poly lined steel scabbards.
Earlier the Pics were having a hard time displaying on the site. Not sure why, but seem OK now. Also, if you click on the Pics they get a bit larger.
I used my heat gun to customize the bend in a piece of 1inch plastic electrical conduit to attach to my subsoiler for burying a cable.

Worked well, but there was a point where it was firm...then in seconds it got very soft and almost too bendable...

You did well to get an entire length of PVC to a workable temperature!

Guessing the area around the holes for the U bolts may be the weakest point, with some of the most stress?

Do you think it might be worth adding some metal straps for reinforcement?
My thinking also. I still have a bunch of pipe left so when this one breaks, I will add strapping to the next one.

Bending PVC; Heat sand in an oven and fill the pipe, then bend it. It bends evenly that way with even heat.

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #13  
Brilliant idea using heated sand!!

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier)
First test, success.
Today I ran the tractor cleaning up branches and I also did a little brush hog work.
The saw stayed exactly where I put it while I was going into, thru, and out of brush/ small trees, and as branches flexed around the ROPS then slapped the caddy. No signs of wear or stress on the caddy after 6 hours of work. By 2 hours in I kinda just forgot the saw was even there. But sure enough when I needed it, there she be sitting nicely in the caddy.
The saw also stayed put while I was brush hogging. I thought the the bouncing over the ground might cause the saw to come loose or slip out a little. Nope!

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #15  
A lot of satisfaction comes from imagining an idea, fabrication and a successful outcome. On our property you can’t go far without having to cut a tree. Good job.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #16  
This is mine. Kind of expensive but, fortunately, it has multiple uses.
IMG_0001.jpeg

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #17  
I always wanted to try some PVC to build some project but usually went with HDPE which can't be glued*. Do have some ABS here which does like glue and to be heated. No PVC other than some angle shapes and of course water pipe.

* some glues claim to work...

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #18  
This is mine. Kind of expensive but, fortunately, it has multiple uses. View attachment 692675

Lol right until you forget it's in there, and grab a log and smush your chainsaw on it. And then dump it out in the log pile. Lots of stories about people forgetting what is in the bucket until you go to use it. I put all my tools into a dirt pile once.

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #19  
Lol right until you forget it's in there, and grab a log and mush your chainsaw on it. And then dump it out in the log pile. Lots of stories about people forgetting what is in the bucket until you go to use it. I put all my tools into a dirt pile once.

Everyone including me throws tools in the bucket, heads to to job sight and says "must remember that", then 15 minutes later grabs a bucket of gravel. For me, not do that again. :LOL:

/ Chainsaw Caddy (carrier) #20  
I made my saw holder out of a 2' piece of PVC foam core vent pipe (lower crush strength than PVC water pipe) I got at a big box store. I set the oven to 325 and put the pipe in. When the oven reached temp, I took it out laid it between two pieces of wood and leaned on it for about 3+ minutes until it didn't feel hot. FYI: If you reheat it the pipe goes back to kinda round.