New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
Lack of updates is due to progress being slow. I’m over half way on the flooring. Whole house is getting the same floor. It is definitely taking some time. Baseball is keeping busy as well, but wouldn’t miss that for anything. We are 2-1, games have been a lot of fun. More baseball tomorrow, no game but have pictures in the morning and practice in the afternoon. Back to work on the house after all of that.

Kitchen appliances have all been delivered, washer and dryer come tomorrow. Had to order more flooring and will also pick that up tomorrow.

Interior doors are ordered and will be ready in about 2 weeks. Decided to have them painted, as it would simply take me too long to do it. This way, I can install them as soon as they are delivered.

I’ll get some updated pictures over the weekend.

/ New House Build in WV
It’s been a busy week. I have just about finished the flooring, only about 200 sq. ft. Left to do.

IMG_7958.jpg

IMG_7959.jpg

IMG_7960.jpg

Garage doors were installed today. Very happy with how they turned out. Belt drive motors are so quit you can barely hear the doors operating.

IMG_7957.jpg

Kitchen cabinets are in, so hopefully those get delivered this week.

Master bath vanity and freestanding tub arrived, hopefully I’ll get them installed this coming weekend. The vanity is 73” with granite top, weighs 400 pounds. Not looking forward to getting that in the house, may have to remove the top.

Attachments

• IMG_7959.jpg
    IMG_7959.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7960.jpg
    IMG_7960.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7959.jpg
    IMG_7959.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
   / New House Build in WV #423  
Looking good!

/ New House Build in WV #424  
I just installed a 36 inch vanity with the granite counter already installed and it was a pain to deal with all that extra weight. I can't imagine dealing with something twice that size!!!!

Are you installing the kitchen cabinets? if so, be sure to do the top ones first. For some crazy reason, every time I watch people do this on TV, they always do the bottoms first, which just makes it a lot harder to do the top ones. Install a board on the wall to set the cabinets on, and then it goes very quickly.

/ New House Build in WV #425  
Are you installing the kitchen cabinets? if so, be sure to do the top ones first. For some crazy reason, every time I watch people do this on TV, they always do the bottoms first, which just makes it a lot harder to do the top ones. Install a board on the wall to set the cabinets on, and then it goes very quickly.

Funny to hear that, I have noticed the same thing! Must be a mental instinct to do bottom first but they sure do get in the way!

/ New House Build in WV
I just installed a 36 inch vanity with the granite counter already installed and it was a pain to deal with all that extra weight. I can't imagine dealing with something twice that size!!!!

We will likely move the vanity in place late tomorrow or Sunday, I am not looking forward to it. I’ll likely see if the top can come off, that would make it easier.

Originally, I was planning on installing the cabinets myself, but talked with the cabinet people today and they will be installing them for me next week. I just don’t have the time at this point.

Top cabinets definitely go first. My guess on why people do bottom first is that they get in a hurry and the bottom are obviously easier to get done quickly.

In the past I have screwed 2x4’s to the wall at the bottom height of the top cabinets to give me something to hold them up while leveling and fastening. Obviously it leaves holes in the wall but in all previous cases, a backsplash was being installed so it wasn’t a big deal.

/ New House Build in WV
Lots of progress over the weekend. All flooring is now done, wife’s bathtub is in place, and I got more siding done.

IMG_7970.jpg

IMG_7971.jpg

I’ll probably need to round up another 24’ latter or two to go much higher on that end of the house. At some point, especially on the facia, I will likely look at renting an off road man lift of some kind.

This evening I decided to build steps from the garage to the house, a very needed addition. No more latter to get in and out feels good! This is really temporary as I plan to build a 4’ wide platform there with a closet against the outside wall, then the steps will go down off the platform against the front wall. The closet will be a good place for boots, jackets, coveralls, etc.

I also worked on some plumbing supply tasks so I’ll be ready once we start putting fixtures in.

IMG_7969.jpg

/ New House Build in WV #428  
Funny how nice stairs can be when you've gotten used to a ladder!!!

/ New House Build in WV
Funny how nice stairs can be when you've gotten used to a ladder!!!

Considering how deep the hole was in that corner when we started, being able to walk through the garage and step up into the house really gives me a sense of accomplishment.

/ New House Build in WV
I wasn’t sure what the market for a used double wides would be, or even how to put a value on it, so Friday morning I decided to post it for sale on Facebook marketplace at a price I would be happy to get for it. Thinking it may take a while to sell it.

Within 12 hours i had about 40 responses, and the first couple to look at it yesterday bought it for asking price. I’m thinking I priced it too low. Don’t care, got what I asked and it’s a worry off my shoulders. I told them I needed 4-6 weeks, but would get out of it ASAP.

The pressure is on now!