3pt log splitter

/ 3pt log splitter #31  
Yup! That's how I do it, Except I try to cut 8' logs. (y)
getting out thru my trees with 8' would be tricky. my path allows 6' without issue. i made my trails wide so i can drive my combined drive carriage with a team of horses thru trails. i had some great pics of us driving the trails....need to find them. all i can find is a photo hanging up downstairs thats been blurred by guy taking photos and printed on canvas. does not photograph well, but looks great on wall.

Attachments

• 20210604_173413.jpg
    20210604_173413.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 77
   / 3pt log splitter #32  
Where are you located. I have a Northern Hydraulics (now Tool) one that needs a new valve or the stuck one loosened up you can have for $300. It's in North Haven CT 06473

Andy

/ 3pt log splitter #33  
Have had a Ramsplitter 3 PT for 15 years. http://www.ramsplitter.com/3-point-log-splitters.html

It's set up for the 3PTH but I have it on the loader and ran off my BH hydraulic lines. It
100_0456.jpg
100_0459.jpg
100_0459.jpg
can go down to the ground using the FEL for big logs. Also, use the BH to lift and cut the rounds, then reconnect the splitter lines and start splitting.

/ 3pt log splitter #34  
I'm always amazed how fast posters here jump in to proclaim what a terrible idea a 3 point splitter is, and how their stand alone splitter is such a better idea!

I'm equally amazed how many posters here have 3 point splitters and really like them, including me,

Resized-20200312-143701-7771-S.jpg

It just keeps on keeping on, reliable getting the job done with power and speed, slooooowly sipping diesel fuel!

My wife says, it's one of our "best buys"! Even she likes to run it,

IMG-1069-S.jpg

SR

/ 3pt log splitter #35  
I'm always amazed how fast posters here jump in to proclaim what a terrible idea a 3 point splitter is, and how their stand alone splitter is such a better idea!

I'm equally amazed how many posters here have 3 point splitters and really like them, including me,

It just keeps on keeping on, reliable getting the job done with power and speed, slooooowly sipping diesel fuel!

IMG-1069-S.jpg

SR
I agree.

While mine is the pull type, I still run it off the remotes on the tractor. It has had several versions over the years. Started out with a small Tecumseh gas engine but that's a lot of noise, not enough power, slow and it's just another engine using fuel as I still needed the tractor anyway. Gas is expensive here, diesel too but less expensive than gas.

Second version was a 3 phase electric motor. Good speed, power and low noise. By far the best version it had until I had 3 phase on the place I split wood. I now just use the tractor remotes, set it somewhere between 1200 and 1500 RPM and let it run. The engine runs very quiet, doesn't use crazy amounts of fuel and gives me a decent working speed.

I've been contemplating converting it to 3 pt mounted and maybe run it using a PTO pump but I only use it like three times a year, so it's not really worth it.

/ 3pt log splitter #36  
Do some research and build your own like I did will cost about $500 scrap yard for your H beam and surplus center for hyd. Cyl. and valve fun build

/ 3pt log splitter #37  
How thick do the flanges on the H beam need to be so they don't distort when pushing on the log?

/ 3pt log splitter #38  
How thick do the flanges on the H beam need to be so they don't distort when pushing on the log?

i would think minimally 6x6x3/8 inch (H beam) .... Which is slightly more robust than my 22 ton stand alone splitter...

But size of beam may depend on how much tonnage you can engineer into splitter (pressure/ram size) ...

Last edited:
   / 3pt log splitter
Yeah, never understood that myself.

In general, my plan is similar to yours. Cut wood into logs or firewood lengths near where the tree was, then load on my trucks dump bed immediately. I can EITHER split the wood here or near my firewood stack, but either way it's no an extra handling step and the tractor is not needed. I would like to store on firewood racks holding about 1 cord each, and carry to the house one rack at a time. I have a spot on the patio that in the winter is not used for anything but firewood.

/ 3pt log splitter #40  

IMG-1069-S.jpg

SR

I am not surprised at all. Processing firewood is not like a math problem with one right answer.

The needs of a two cord user are different than a 10 cord user. Someone who buys logs does not have to deal with large rounds or gnarly wood to split. Some folks split wood in the woods and others take rounds or logs near where the firewood will be stacked. Some people enjoy the work and speed is not a prime factor, while others view it as a chore to be done as efficiently as possible. Some work alone and some with a partner.

Look at the post by ptsg. He uses his splitter three times a year, yet mentions fuel efficiency as an important criteria. But fuel cost is not am important consideration for Americans splitting a handful of cords a year. ptsg is likely paying three times our cost in Portugal.

No...one size does not fit all.

I no longer need a splitter as I have a better way that works for us and our meets needs. It takes a day to process 6-8 cords depending on the logs I get and that is enough for a years supply. It costs me $250 to process a year of firewood....no saw, no splitter, no space to store equipment and no maintenance. Here is 15 hours of production by the two of us:
Firewood processing.jpg

2020 Wood 1.jpg

2020 Wood 2.jpg

If I could not rent a processor, I would get a decent electric splitter like the one I posted a link to earlier in this thread. There is plenty of power from the building shown in the background. Might order a unit that runs on 230V so my friends could not borrow it...LOL

Last edited: