Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek

/ Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #11  
if your decking boards are individually cantilevered outboard of the 6x12s, strapping all the ends of all your decking boards together would distribute your load among several adjacent boards.

/ Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #12  
How wide are your wheels, on the 2000lb tractor?

Last edited:
   / Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #13  
If you can try and find a sawmill that can cut up some spruce for you, there is a mill in Drain just off the 5 you could try. Spruce is tough stuff and is traditionally used for scaffold planking and really takes a beating.
The type of spruce that I am familiar with also rots more rapidly than most other lumber.
Hemlock is a bit more rot resistant if you have any in your area.

The OP does not mention the span of the 6x12's, but dead load weight must be considered.
I would suggest keeping the decking material weight to an absolute minimum.

/ Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #14  
If you can get some oil field pipe and put the wood
over the top or just use all pipe??
In Texas we have cattle guards
1623611483661.png

willy

/ Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #15  
You need to check the weight you can load onto 20 foot long 6 x 12. I think you would be ok with the JD x330 as it is around 500 pounds but to go any heavier I do not believe the beams are big enough.

/ Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #16  
You need to check the weight you can load onto 20 foot long 6 x 12. I think you would be ok with the JD x330 as it is around 500 pounds but to go any heavier I do not believe the beams are big enough.
Two problems!
Very long span for 6 x 12, and only two beams!
I would not put more than 500 pounds live weight on that bridge!

Last edited:
   / Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #17  
BCP - that was my exact thought. Build it for your 2000 pound tractor and somebody, like me, tries to cross with my 10,000 pound Kubota. And you can assume that a whole lot of folks have no idea how much their tractor weighs.

What if a friend attempts to drive across with a pickup load of gravel.

/ Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #18  
20’ isn’t very far. Look at some trailers and see how they are constructed. Wood scares me because it rots. I wouldn’t assume the 6x12s are good if the 2x6s are rotten. I would replace the main beams with some I-beam. Steel supplier should have charts for acceptable load on a 20’ span. Might even go with four beams so your decking doesn’t have to be as strong. I have fell through a wooden bridge in a pickup and isn’t fun. I didn’t crash into the creek but two of my tires broke through.

Last edited:
   / Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #19  
if your decking boards are individually cantilevered outboard of the 6x12s, strapping all the ends of all your decking boards together would distribute your load among several adjacent boards.
I vote for this.

/ Wooden bridge for 2000# tractor to cross creek #20  
If you have a concrete abutments I would look for some salvaged steel I beams to replace the 6 x 12 and use at least three, and then your problems should be solved. Steel isn’t cheap but you will only fix it once.