Backhoe piston broke

/ Backhoe piston broke #1  

seniornukect

Tractor
2021 Massey Ferguson 1835M
Anyone run into this issue with a woods bh75? I am digging a trench for water and power lines and found a good sized rock. No way to lift it out so I dug a deeper hole behind it and when I went to push it back with the bucket I heard a bang and the dipper arm swung loose. Found the half of the eyelet in the hole, no sign of the grease fitting. It looks like really cheap pot metal.
20210914_142039.jpg
20210914_140731.jpg

/ Backhoe piston broke #2  
Maybe a bad casting? Was this the first time you've used the backhoe? It looks like it can't have many hours on it. It's WAY too clean!!

/ Backhoe piston broke
First major job with it. Took down bushes and brush before.

/ Backhoe piston broke #4  
Do you still have warranty? Otherwise a hydraulic or machine shop should be able to get it fixed.

/ Backhoe piston broke #5  
I agree with 4570 above: take it to your local Woods products dealer for a swap out. It does appear to be a flaw in the casting. If you have the manufactures phone number in your owners manual, call them to confirm the swap. If the dealer don’t have one in stock, they can get one in the mail and on the way ASAP.

/ Backhoe piston broke #6  
First major job with it. Took down bushes and brush before.

At least it's an easy fix! It just didn't survive your first shake-down cruise with the new backhoe. First time you really stressed it.

I'll be surprised if Woods or your dealer doesn't just give you a new cylinder to pin on.

/ Backhoe piston broke #7  
I'm a bit surprised on how thin the ring looks that broke. Would have expected something a bit more robust from Woods

/ Backhoe piston broke #8  
I'm a bit surprised on how thin the ring looks that broke. Would have expected something a bit more robust from Woods
Woods probably just buys the cheapest cylinders they can find.
Made in China!

/ Backhoe piston broke #9  
Woods probably just buys the cheapest cylinders they can find.
Made in China!
In general I've observed woods to be better than a northern tool/harbor freight production. Perhaps that's changed.

/ Backhoe piston broke #10  
I agree that the first step is to try and get woods to do a warranty replacement.