Crazy idea?

/ Crazy idea? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
When the weather gets rainy here in the PNW I will stop tractoring for a while and get the power steering installed on my YM2310. I would really like to use a power steering pump but space is so tight that I may not be able to.
However, there is room for a power steering pump, if small enough, directly above the stock alternator. My crazy plan is to remove the alternator and look at its construction, to see how the rotating part is supported by the bearing(s). If I deem the support adequate, or if I can add another bearing if need be, then I want to put the rotating part in the lathe and remove just enough material such that the O.D. cleans up. Then I will machine a vee belt pulley from aluminum that is a .002 to .003 inch press fit for the alternator O.D. that I just machined. Then I can just heat the aluminum pulley up and drop it onto the alternator. So, is this a crazy idea? If not then I need to find a small power steering pump.
I'm thinking I need to look for a power steering pump from a small import car. A Toyota or a Nissan or similar. Something common. Too bad Yanmar doesn't make small cars. I could go to the closest Pick and Pull auto wrecker yard and just look for a suitably sized pump. I will need to make sure it spins the right direction. That means I need to see which direction my 2310 spins.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Crazy idea? #2  
Please post a photo of your alternator and indicate where you want the new pulley. I would be surprised if Yanmar makes their own alternators. Does yours have a manufacturer's label?

Do you have a single belt drive alternator? You can probably find a double pulley and run a small pump off that.

Bruce

/ Crazy idea? #4  
I have no idea what you are talking about doing after reading it 3 times.

I think what he is describing is turning down the OD of the alternator (because it spins with the pulley) to true it up and then mounting another pulley on the body of the alternator to drive a power steering pump. If so, I think that would put too much load on the belt driving the alternator (and subsequently the hydraulic pump). I think you would have a hard time keeping that belt from slipping.

1.JPG

I think an easier method might be to just couple the pump to the crank pulley with something like this

2.JPG

/ Crazy idea? #5  
Building hydraulic pressure doesn't get you power steering,how will you propoartion and transfer it to front wheels?

/ Crazy idea? #6  
Building hydraulic pressure doesn't get you power steering, how will you propoartion and transfer it to front wheels?

Pump with hose connections to a hydraulic cylinder. Much like cars of the late 70s up to the 90s. Lots of YT vids out there on doing this with tractors that never had PS to begin with.

/ Crazy idea? #7  
A lot of power steering motors today are electric. Maybe easier to fit.

/ Crazy idea? #8  
I have no idea what you are talking about doing after reading it 3 times.
Yeah. - - Probably adding a pulley to the alternator to drive the add on P/S pump. Lot of power going on the fanbelt.

/ Crazy idea? #9  
Pump with hose connections to a hydraulic cylinder. Much like cars of the late 70s up to the 90s. Lots of YT vids out there on doing this with tractors that never had PS to begin with.
Hydraulic ram assist. I still have high boys.

/ Crazy idea?
I think what he is describing is turning down the OD of the alternator (because it spins with the pulley) to true it up and then mounting another pulley on the body of the alternator to drive a power steering pump. If so, I think that would put too much load on the belt driving the alternator (and subsequently the hydraulic pump). I think you would have a hard time keeping that belt from slipping.

View attachment 714147

I think an easier method might be to just couple the pump to the crank pulley with something like this

View attachment 714148
You have it correct, what I am considering. I first looked at coming directly off of the crank but there is no room. I even thought about having the pump below the engine but there is no room there either. The space is taken up with what looks like the front end mounting structure. Regarding the belt slipping think it will not be a problem. I think the biggest problem will the bearing in the alternator, whether it is stout enough to take the load and if not is there anything I can do within season to fix the situation. I have a full machine shop at my disposal so the lathe work should be fairly easy to do.
Eric