Crazy idea?

/ Crazy idea? #11  
I think you would be money ahead by doing something like this guy did on his ym2000.

/ Crazy idea?
Please post a photo of your alternator and indicate where you want the new pulley. I would be surprised if Yanmar makes their own alternators. Does yours have a manufacturer's label?

Do you have a single belt drive alternator? You can probably find a double pulley and run a small pump off that.

Bruce
OK, here are a couple pictures. There is not enough room between the end of the alternator and the fan to add another pulley. The alternator cannot be moved back because it will hit the oil filter. But there is room directly above and to the left for the right size power steering pump. The yellow X is where I would machine the alternator.

Attachments

• P_20210921_125450.jpg
    P_20210921_125450.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • P_20210921_125606.jpg
    P_20210921_125606.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
   / Crazy idea?
I think you would be money ahead by doing something like this guy did on his ym2000.

I don't see how I would be money ahead if I did what that you tuber did. His setup doesn't use a power steering pump. if I break spindles on my 2310 then maybe no will look into welding on Deere spindles.

/ Crazy idea?
To further illustrate how I think a power steering pump could work I am posting a couple more pictures. The pump I'm using in the pictures is for a Toyota but I don't know which Toyota or the direction the pump spins so I don't know if I could even use this particular pump. But the pictures show how the pump would fit in the space available.
Eric

Attachments

• P_20210921_141634.jpg
    P_20210921_141634.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
  • P_20210921_141606.jpg
    P_20210921_141606.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
   / Crazy idea? #15  
OK, here are a couple pictures. There is not enough room between the end of the alternator and the fan to add another pulley. The alternator cannot be moved back because it will hit the oil filter. But there is room directly above and to the left for the right size power steering pump. The yellow X is where I would machine the alternator.

Is there enough room for the large pulley you will need for the pump?

/ Crazy idea?
Is there enough room for the large pulley you will need for the pump?
It looks like I can get away with a 6 inch pulley around the alternator and 5 or 6 inch on the power steering pump. I may need to make a pulley for the pump depending on the pump I would end up using. That's no problem, I have made plenty of pulleys. I don't know how fast a power steering pump needs to turn. I would like the power steering to work at idle, just like a car. That may mean a smaller pulley on the pump. Now that I'm considering a crazy idea I'm really getting warmed up again to the idea of keeping the power steering hydraulics separate from the tractor hydraulics.
Eric

/ Crazy idea? #17  
It looks like I can get away with a 6 inch pulley around the alternator and 5 or 6 inch on the power steering pump. I may need to make a pulley for the pump depending on the pump I would end up using. That's no problem, I have made plenty of pulleys. I don't know how fast a power steering pump needs to turn. I would like the power steering to work at idle, just like a car. That may mean a smaller pulley on the pump. Now that I'm considering a crazy idea I'm really getting warmed up again to the idea of keeping the power steering hydraulics separate from the tractor hydraulics.
Eric

Is it possible to mount above the water pump? a nice thick 1/4 steel bracket off of the Toyota. ;)

/ Crazy idea? #18  
Most car pumps Iv seen spin at about crank speed. Your drive pulley on the alternator is spinning almost 2x crank speed. May be ok to run the pump at 2x but ? necessary. Its just more power stepping up through that small pulley alternator drive. If you could find a short multigroove/serpentine belt for the secondary it might reduce the pulley groove depth overhead enough to ease making prudent speed choices. - - More efficient too.

/ Crazy idea?
Is it possible to mount above the water pump? a nice thick 1/4 steel bracket off of the Toyota. ;)
It would be higher than the water pump but will not fit directly above it. I really need to go to the Pick and Pull auto dismantlers and look at power steering pumps. It would be really nice if I can find a pump that has its own reservoir and fits in the space available. I would rather avoid a separate reservoir, especially since the one from the donor car may not fit where I can put one. Still, I can easily weld one up. I have the material, equipment, and skill needed to do the job.

/ Crazy idea?
I think what he is describing is turning down the OD of the alternator (because it spins with the pulley) to true it up and then mounting another pulley on the body of the alternator to drive a power steering pump. If so, I think that would put too much load on the belt driving the alternator (and subsequently the hydraulic pump). I think you would have a hard time keeping that belt from slipping.

View attachment 714147

I think an easier method might be to just couple the pump to the crank pulley with something like this

View attachment 714148
Upon closer inspection I see what you are talking about. There is a passage, basically, below the radiator and then on through what looks like a big cast weight which sits under the battery. The shaft from the end of the crankshaft would need to extend right through to the front of the tractor and the pump would then need to hang out in front of the tractor. I could use a shorter drive if there was room to hang the pump below the tractor but there isn't. If the battery wasn't where it is the pump could go there. But it is and the battery can't be relocated.