Having a blast with our new M62

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #351  
Who sez you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I'll put that one away in my toolbox for the next time... 👍
I don't think I have ever seen a tool box long enough to hold a 20V pole saw.:ROFLMAO:

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #353  
Hey guys, I am looking for a little advice on what to check next in regard to troubleshooting a weak hydraulic issue on my 2016 M62. The swing function on my backhoe is weak, in both directions. I bought a hydraulic test kit and a few extra fittings to allow connection to the output ports on both the right swing and left swing, at the control valve. I measure 2500 psi when swinging to the right limit on the right output and the same 2500 psi on the left output when swinging to the left limit. This is with the engine RPMs set high. This 2500 psi measurement is within the factory specification for the relief valve setting pressure (2460 to 2560 psi). There are no leaks anywhere. The machine is clean. I would not think that the swing cylinders need rebuild already. It does not appear that the backhoe was heavily used by the previous owner. The machine only has 600 hours on it.

The symptoms include inability to push bucket-deep piles of excavated dirt sideways with the bucket (using swing function). And a momentary loss in swing cylinder pressure when going from movement in one direction to movement in the other direction. For instance, if the machine is on a slope, swing the backhoe to the left, stop, then attempt to swing the backhoe to the right. The backhoe will momentarily swing left, before it takes off to the right.

Could there be an issue with the swing valve spools or maybe the load check valves in the control valve body? But, wouldn't problems with these components show up as low pressure readings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I tried calling Messicks Tech Support; and the guy I spoke with was worthless. I spent a good 5 minutes arguing with him whether or not their was a dedicated pump for the swing function on this machine. He claimed there is not a seperate pump for the swing function. He believed that all backhoe functions run through one pump. That's about as far as I got with that guy.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #354  
Hey guys, I am looking for a little advice on what to check next in regard to troubleshooting a weak hydraulic issue on my 2016 M62. The swing function on my backhoe is weak, in both directions. I bought a hydraulic test kit and a few extra fittings to allow connection to the output ports on both the right swing and left swing, at the control valve. I measure 2500 psi when swinging to the right limit on the right output and the same 2500 psi on the left output when swinging to the left limit. This is with the engine RPMs set high. This 2500 psi measurement is within the factory specification for the relief valve setting pressure (2460 to 2560 psi). There are no leaks anywhere. The machine is clean. I would not think that the swing cylinders need rebuild already. It does not appear that the backhoe was heavily used by the previous owner. The machine only has 600 hours on it.

The symptoms include inability to push bucket-deep piles of excavated dirt sideways with the bucket (using swing function). And a momentary loss in swing cylinder pressure when going from movement in one direction to movement in the other direction. For instance, if the machine is on a slope, swing the backhoe to the left, stop, then attempt to swing the backhoe to the right. The backhoe will momentarily swing left, before it takes off to the right.

Could there be an issue with the swing valve spools or maybe the load check valves in the control valve body? But, wouldn't problems with these components show up as low pressure readings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I tried calling Messicks Tech Support; and the guy I spoke with was worthless. I spent a good 5 minutes arguing with him whether or not their was a dedicated pump for the swing function on this machine. He claimed there is not a seperate pump for the swing function. He believed that all backhoe functions run through one pump. That's about as far as I got with that guy.
I can't really push a bunch of dirt to the sides either. This may be by design, as this is really a no-no from an operators perspective. Doing this with the stick or boom out at all puts a lot of twist forces on the arm. If you try it with the boom/stick almost all the way in, does yours work better? Mine does..but I still don't use this movement. Others may but I was taught not too.

On a slope, I typically stick/boom in before I swing. If you leave the stick out, is hard on the swing cylinders to hold the weight that far out.

As far as pumps I believe there is a dedicated pump for the backhoe, but not for each side of the backhoe system.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #355  
I can't really push a bunch of dirt to the sides either. This may be by design, as this is really a no-no from an operators perspective. Doing this with the stick or boom out at all puts a lot of twist forces on the arm. If you try it with the boom/stick almost all the way in, does yours work better? Mine does..but I still don't use this movement. Others may but I was taught not too.

On a slope, I typically stick/boom in before I swing. If you leave the stick out, is hard on the swing cylinders to hold the weight that far out.

As far as pumps I believe there is a dedicated pump for the backhoe, but not for each side of the backhoe system.
Thanks for your perspective on this. Even with the boom high and the dipstick crowded (bucket fairly close), the swing function seams very weak. I am comparing this to my previous tractor. I had a 2003 John Deere 110 TLB. And the swing strength was much better on that machine. It did of course have a shorter boom/dipstick.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #356  
What you describe with respect to both the swing strength and the problem of swinging backwards of the intended direction exactly describes how my M62 with 365 hours behaves. So either both our machines are malfunctioning, or that's the best Kubota could do. Outside of the HST, I haven't been very impressed with Kubota valves/spools, and ended up returning two sets of top'n'tilt spools, the second ones for a refund. Fit Rite Hydraulics provided replacements for about half the cost that work much, much better.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #357  
What you describe with respect to both the swing strength and the problem of swinging backwards of the intended direction exactly describes how my M62 with 365 hours behaves. So either both our machines are malfunctioning, or that's the best Kubota could do. Outside of the HST, I haven't been very impressed with Kubota valves/spools, and ended up returning two sets of top'n'tilt spools, the second ones for a refund. Fit Rite Hydraulics provided replacements for about half the cost that work much, much better.
Yeah, I think that the other backhoe functions are powerfull and work correctly on my machine. I don't have any option/additional hydraulic valves on my tractor. I did get a more helpful email response from tech support at Messicks this morning. He said to make sure the two push/pull rods on the back of the tractor are pushed all the way in. They ARE pushed all the way in. Although, the left push rod does not have as definitive of a "locked in" feel to it, when pushed all the way forward/in. So, I'm gonna try to inspect the linkage connected to the push rod to see if it is binding in any way. Or maybe the "Direction Valve 3", that the push rod linkage is connected to, is not fully switching to swing valve flow. Maybe it is sticking? I understand if the flow is leaking through this valve a little, this can cause loss of power; even if the pressure reading is within spec.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #358  
IMG_1974.JPG

Use a rubber tool grip to secure the polesaw. The M59/62 platform helps carry the tools needed when working on our piece of paradise. Moving several big limbs and tree from recent rains from the driveway. Love our winding green tunnel thru the woods but does require work. Kinda fun work at times.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #359  
Congratulations, that's a very impressive piece of equipment!!!! Do you have a grapple yet? The backhoe and grapple combination is just perfect for clearing land. Dig it out with the hoe, carry it to the burn pile with the grapple. Easy Pleasy :)

In the Rockies, we don't have much brush and the trees are tall. So it's better to carry them fore and aft rather than across the front of the tractor. A grapple would be nice but not as useful as a thumb on the backhoe for carrying full length pines.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #360  
New M62!

Thanks everyone – your commentary pushed us over and we went ahead an bought the M62 for our Vermont woodlot.

We’re just getting to know the tractor and had a first question.

About 3 minutes after we start the tractor each morning, then engine sound changes – it get’s a bit loader with an additional knocking sound. The dealer doesn’t seem to know why.

Does this happen with your M62’s? Anyone know why?

Thanks

MtPutney