Crazy idea?

/ Crazy idea? #41  
On the YM2500 and other models like it along with the Deere JD850/950/1050 - - -

WIP, got to get better quality

Possible to glean info from any of this. ;)

Last edited:
   / Crazy idea? #43  
Though similar that is not the cylinder and valve that I have. Thanks for posting and clearing things up a little.
Eric

Ah you replied before I could finish. LOL

OK, next few posts coming. ;)

/ Crazy idea? #44  
OK, the YM2500 = JD850 & YM4300 = JD1050

Possible to glean more info - - -
high-res, just click and click to zoom in

60-06-1.jpg

60-06-2.jpg

60-06-3.jpg

60-06-4.jpg

60-06-5.jpg

60-06-6.jpg

60-06-7.jpg

/ Crazy idea? #45  
Last edited:
   / Crazy idea? #46  
They have their hard hats on to be safe but the guy is standing close behind where where he is about to get taken out by that boxblade as it sweeps over as she turns🤣🤣🤣.
I had the same thought...

/ Crazy idea?
Well phooey! I have had to give up on the power steering pump option. I found a pump from a Honda Civic that rotates the wrong way but was quite small, the smallest I could find. But I could still use it for sizing. And even this tiny pump is too long. It would touch the fuel lines coming from the injection pump. Can't have that! So I took the pump to a friend of mine to look at who owns an import car repair business and who coincidentally also owns a 2310 and who also wants power steering. He looked in his catalogs at non-Honda power steering pumps and was not able to find one shorter than the Civic pump.
So now I will go with the diverter valve that I already have. I need to talk with the seller to see if it is proportionally adjustable and to make sure that is has some sort of pressure relief so that the power steering system never sees more than 1800 PSI.
Reading about how dead heading hydraulic pumps can cause all sorts of damage a pressure relief valve is a must.
From reading here on TBN I think I can get a higher volume pump for my tractor if it turns out that the power steering uses so much oil when working properly that it slows the loader too much. Or if the power steering won't work at low RPM.
Even though I don't get to machine a new multi groove pulley and make a steering pump mount I will still get to make the rest of the stuff to mount the power steering cylinder. So I will still get to have fun with this project. And I'm sure I'll be asking more questions.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Crazy idea? #48  
They have their hard hats on to be safe but the guy is standing close behind her where he is about to get taken out by that boxblade as it sweeps over as she turns🤣🤣🤣.
And some PR firm posed those photos. She's cute but the way she's grasping the steering wheel with her wrist through the wheel instead of outside it, is something nobody who ever drove manual steering would do! Broken wrist if you hit something just right.

I've had the YM240 wheel spin uncontrollably when backing up and running a tire into something solid. I suspect that was how it had two cracked front wheels when I bought it.

Also with that PS on the YM186D, the palm of your hand on the center cap of the wheel is sufficient to steer it. There's never a need to get a tight grip on the rim.

Last edited:
   / Crazy idea? #49  
Member California here can tell you the 'leaking' troubles with the OE design too.
[The first, dealer-installed PS version shown in the brochure with the cutie modeling it].

Yeah. See how the steering drag link comes forward to push a hydraulic control, that then sends fluid in front of or behind the fixed piston?

There's an air vent hole on top, in front of the tiny piston in the control part. In the photo, top front.

When the tiny control piston's o-ring gets worn, hydraulic fluid sprays out of that vent hole when you turn left. I tore down the PS on the bench but couldn't find a way to hold the entire aluminum assembly in the vise without distorting it, while I fought the nut that has to come off the back of that control piston. I applied as much force as I dared on that irreplaceable aluminum casting, no luck.

I then got a second entire assembly that just needed the seal for the large piston replaced. That was easy. There is occasional trivial dribble from the control piston vent hole but not enough for an oil spot on the barn floor. Good enough.

Some day I'll make a wooden cradle for the original assembly so I can clamp it securely in the vise, and overhaul it. Someday.

This third-party US-made dealer option PS simply isn't up to Yanmar quality. It works great but it doesn't have the durability and simple maintenance that make Yanmar so great.

Yanmar YM power Steering Kit pg 1-detail.jpg

/ Crazy idea? #50  
Probably too late for this suggestion, but wondering if you considered mounting a PS pump to the backside of the alternator and in line axially with it. Would require a hole in the backside of the alternator and then a shaft extension/connector to the pump. May not be feasible but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Edit--Picture shows the backside of a Kubota alternator or "dynamo" as they call it. I replaced this one thinking it was bad but turned out to be the regulator IIRC.

Attachments

• KUBOTA-ALTERNATOR-DYNAMO.jpg
    KUBOTA-ALTERNATOR-DYNAMO.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited: