Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY).

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #31  
Just wondering how are you handling the captured hogs?

buried them? or processed for bacon?

Unfortunately, I had to bury them because couldn't find any person for processing the hogs

If you want to know what hogs like to eat,,
watch the TV series "DEADWOOD",,.

The Chinese guy, Mr. Wu, "feeds" his hogs about every third episode,,
Maybe the trap can be baited with dead hogs.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #32  
I am aware of a case years ago where a guy from Texas took a cattle trailer full of hogs to Indiana or somewhere and turned them loose. He’s probably not the only one.
Transporting hogs except to a slaughter house is illegal in Texas. Don’t ever do it. They are never allowed to leave my traps alive.
No slaughter house i know of will process feral hogs due to what inspecter requires afterwards. There's wild game processors but they charge more than the meat is worth.
We rarly process the whole carcass other than a small one whole roasted occasionally. My son and grandson can get the backstrap very quick so that's usually all we take if anything.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #33  

Unfortunately, I had to bury them because couldn't find any person for processing the hogs
We just bury. Sometimes I find people that want to grill one or a few.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #34  

Coyotes and buzzards do a good job cleaning them up.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #35  
As someone mentioned,trap need's to be large enough for at least a dozen and preferablly more. Otherwise they wise up and avoid traps. If landowners would cooperate the population can be controlled but too many people operate with greed and stuborness as primary to common good.
If all landowners inside natural boundaries (rivers,IH Hi-ways,lakes,towns ect) form a commity and contribute $1 for each acre they own to a fund and each do thier part ongoing,the success is far better while expense and labor is far less than each doing their own thing. Let's say 100 square miles lie inside natural boundries. You have $64k to build 10 corral size PORTABLE and 10 semi-portable traps, a high tech device that alow's dropping door on trap from 50 miles away via smart phone,half dozen recorder type trail cams,1 live data via smart phone trail cam to inhance remote control for gate,a custom trailer to move traps,rifle,ir rifle scope,a silincer if someone can quilfy, a low flatbed with winch to move dead hogs and occasionally buy corn(supermarket spoilage should be mor than adiquate for bait). According to # of landowners,a suitable group messaging is set up. Hogs run in gangs,packs,herds,more accuratly called sounders. About the time you think hogs have disappeared or decided they don't like your land,a herd root's up 10 acres of field and your orchard in a single night. Unles you have been vigilant with baiting and tending traps for 3 months that aren't catching this would ordinarally be the time you set traps and already wasted a day. The hogs will be in the general area and drifting but unless field was planted in something they like or orchard has lots of fruit on ground,the hogs aren't likly to return to the same place for 4 weeks to 4 months. Here's where you start saving time and expense. You notify group message of location, date,time,type damage,aproximated acres and number of hogs. Rarly will 24 hours pass without reported sightings and/or damage. Reports establish how many sounders are on the 64k acres,size of sounder A-B&C,predictable direction of travel for each sounder and of course how many have gone to big pen in the sky. Traps begin baiting for anticipated arrival. Doors are open and blocked to prevent triggering on some traps based on collective trail cam history. Needless to say,the wi-fi door is moved for best use. If the situation warrant's ,you have the stomach and guys with skill,boars large as can be safly handled get free vasectomies and tips of their ears cut off. Hogs grow rapidly so there's no need to go after the largest around. The tipped ears prevent them being shot when traped. It is also understood anyone showing off a trophy with tipped ears might be subject to something unpleasant.
Show us Your Cage.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #36  
Missouri Dept of Conservation will help Mo farmers by trapping the entire group of hogs using their equipment. The MDC has made hunting feral hogs on MDC land illegal. Trapping only one or two only educates the entire group making it difficult to get them to enter traps after that. They posted a really good video (which I cannot find). But these two videos are interesting. For anyone who does not know, they are fast and can be mean. Especially the boars.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #37  
Do you think someone could talk the guys that sell these traps into converting one to trap stink bugs,,?? :unsure:

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #38  
I have heard/seen where several people claim trapping one or two hogs somehow makes others "educated" or "trap shy". But I have never seen anyone elaborate on WHY they arrive at this conclusion.

In my observation the only way they could become "trap shy" or "educated" about traps is if they get in and then get out by escape or being released. If they do not leave the trap alive they will never have the chance to become "trap shy".

I have had people try to tell me that killing a hog in a trap leaves a "death scent" or something in the trap that will keep hogs from coming in the trap. My personal observation is that it does not ward of the hogs to kill hogs in the trap. We have killed hogs in the traps and caught hogs from the same sounder the next day or overnight in the same trap.

Small traps are easier to move than pen traps so we have several of them that we move around. If they are in the right location and baited right they will catch hogs. We do not put traps in close proximity to each other. Like side by side.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #39  
I have heard/seen where several people claim trapping one or two hogs somehow makes others "educated" or "trap shy". But I have never seen anyone elaborate on WHY they arrive at this conclusion.

In my observation the only way they could become "trap shy" or "educated" about traps is if they get in and then get out by escape or being released.
If they do not leave the trap alive they will never have the chance to become "trap shy".

I have had people try to tell me that killing a hog in a trap leaves a "death scent" or something in the trap that will keep hogs from coming in the trap. My personal observation is that it does not ward of the hogs to kill hogs in the trap. We have killed hogs in the traps and caught hogs from the same sounder the next day or overnight in the same trap.

Small traps are easier to move than pen traps so we have several of them that we move around. If they are in the right location and baited right they will catch hogs. We do not put traps in close proximity to each other. Like side by side.
According to scientists animal's inteligence is related to brain size in porportion to body and hogs are amongest the more inteligent. Most creatures emit one or more distress signals, motions,odors and sounds to which others react(not only same species but often others as well). A quintessential example of animals sensing and reacting to threat is whitetail deer on opening weekend of season. Canadian Gesse exhib behavior that defy's reason or explination when it come's to assessing danger. A migrating flock that won't come near hunter's decoys and plantive calls will often circle a farm once,cup wings and land to graze within easy gun range of house and other buildings as the family go about their business. More specifically I came to "trap shy"conclusion after watching camera footage and pictures of same hogs repeatedly stay outside to watch others enter and eat. 9 times out of 10 it's old sows you really need to catch. I've noticed little effect of blood around traps so never moved one on that account. If one i need to catch hangs back for more than 3 or 4 days and I'm catching less than 2,I usully disarm doors to alow coming and going. Gluttony sometimes override's caution and trigger can be reset. What counts is that if something is working for you,there's no need to change to what other people are doing.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #40  
According to scientists animal's inteligence is related to brain size in porportion to body and hogs are amongest the more inteligent. Most creatures emit one or more distress signals, motions,odors and sounds to which others react(not only same species but often others as well). A quintessential example of animals sensing and reacting to threat is whitetail deer on opening weekend of season. Canadian Gesse exhib behavior that defy's reason or explination when it come's to assessing danger. A migrating flock that won't come near hunter's decoys and plantive calls will often circle a farm once,cup wings and land to graze within easy gun range of house and other buildings as the family go about their business. More specifically I came to "trap shy"conclusion after watching camera footage and pictures of same hogs repeatedly stay outside to watch others enter and eat. 9 times out of 10 it's old sows you really need to catch. I've noticed little effect of blood around traps so never moved one on that account. If one i need to catch hangs back for more than 3 or 4 days and I'm catching less than 2,I usully disarm doors to alow coming and going. Gluttony sometimes override's caution and trigger can be reset. What counts is that if something is working for you,there's no need to change to what other people are doing.
This in Bold above is the only personal or specific concrete evidence related to hogs and why they might be trap shy I see here. I suspect that a lot of hogs that act like you describe have been trapped and were either able to escape or they were released from the trap. I find that a lot of people will hesitate to kill pigs often when they get a trap full. One time a guy told me he 'just couldn't bring himself to kill a sow' when she had 'little piggies outside the trap'. I would have shot all of them I could and then the sow. It happens more than people admit to. They get the hogs in the trap and then release them. Sometimes the hogs escape on their own. They turn over a trap that doesn't have a floor, they break out of a weak trap, the latch doesn't catch good and they escape, any number of things, etc, etc. I have even seen hogs trying to crowd into a trap causing the door to stay open and several hogs get out before it gets shut completely.

You are right that you can make them less trap shy by keeping door open and continue to feed the trap so they will get comfortable going in and out. This is very important on a large pen trap to get a sounder comfortable about all of them entering the trap.

You are absolutely right that hogs are smart enough that it only takes a time or two for them to get very trap shy if they get caught and escape or get released. Just speculation, but I think the closer to the time of entrapment and escape or release it is, the more wary they are about getting in another trap. As time goes by they get less wary but they have experience in escaping by then so they are harder to keep penned.