Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY).

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY).
Do you have a link?

The only ones I had seen from them in my research were smaller or used a bunch of T posts and no one seemed to share how to do a remote trigger, had to develop that from nothing and since t-mobile acquired sprint and Tell, they keep telling me the cheap simple phones I am using are not going to work on their 5g network at some point. So I am going to have to figure something out and I feel it really needs the parental control to only answer incoming calls from numbers already stored in the device.
It is beyond my ability to make the trap you made but very interesting.
Actually, there are not many feral hogs in my area, maybe 3 or 4 at the most.
And my small trap is working for the time being.
Thank you for sharing.

For me and my wife, we enjoy wild hog meat from smaller hogs. Less then 100 pounds, and that's pushing it. Probably the only ones we bother with are closer to 60 pounds. The bigger ones are great for dog food. We cut the hams and backstraps into cubes and cook it in the crock pot with sweet potatoes, green beans and whatever else my wife thinks that they will enjoy. The dogs love it!!! For us, we grill the backstraps with some seasoning and it's fantastic. Not like store bought pork. It's a lot leaner, so you have to be careful to not overcook it and dry it out, but also cook it all the way so it's safe.
Hi, Eddie.
Anyway, can you share the recipe for the hog meat?
I would like to try it in the future if I catch it.
Thank you in advance.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #63  
Coyotes and buzzards do a good job cleaning them up.
Not here. Dead pigs will lay there and rot. Nothing eats them. I've never seen anything eat dead ones except people.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #64  

Its pork, although a lot less fat than you are used to with store bought meat, assuming you are not capturing them alive and feeding them out.

Slow cooked like a smoker or crockpot are two good methods but one of my favorite we came up with one night when it was too late to start something slow and we didn’t have much in the way of supplies. We thin cut the backstrap and used to crushed spicy pork rinds as part of the batter for frying them. Call it twice fried pork and it’s a winner.

Actually good enough that’s often the only part I take, doesn’t hurt that it’s the easiest part to get.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #65  
Hi, Eddie.
Thank you in advance.
Not much of a recipe, just dry rub some seasoning on the meat and put it on the grill. We grill the entire backstrap and then cut it after it's cooked. Montreal Steak Seasoning is one of my favorites, but we have a pretty good selection of different brands that we enjoy.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #66  
Not much of a recipe, just dry rub some seasoning on the meat and put it on the grill. We grill the entire backstrap and then cut it after it's cooked. Montreal Steak Seasoning is one of my favorites, but we have a pretty good selection of different brands that we enjoy.
We use that quite a bit as well, on burgers and chicken, too. (y)

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #67  
jwmorris,

Great pictures. It is a lot of work, but that is also how The Missouri Dept. of Conservation deals with them. Here it is illegal to capture and release feral hogs. That is because some land owners have them released to propagate on their property for hunting. Then, after they are out of control or neighbors complain, they can't get them stopped. The MDC often gets groups of 25-30 at a time.

I also think (for those who refuse to believe it) feral hogs would not be a problem if they did not educate because of experience. They would be gone if they were all that easy. Just open the gate, pour out a bad of feed, shoot them as they come in. We would only wish that were true after pasture was destroyed or stock lost.

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #68  
Going on 2 (?) years ago, pre covid.. There were reports of sounders seen in southern Alberta.. Likely south west Saskatchewan... It is not hard to believe they will eventually migrate to southern British Columbia also..

At the time of these sightings the game commision did not want you to shoot them saying that would break up the sounders and form more sounders.. Saying they were looking into ways to trap the entire sounder at once...

This all makes sence, but would be hard to handle if these animals were causing damage on my property...

/ Feral hogs trap the building of my own (DIY). #69  
Just wondering how are you handling the captured hogs?

buried them? or processed for bacon?

Unfortunately, I had to bury them because couldn't find any person for processing the hogs
Just an idea: After 9 days you only see some knuckles rolling out the back of the compost turner:

Just an idea: After 9 days you only see some knuckles rolling out the back of the compost turner:

Interesting video.
But it looks like a waste of a lot of diesel to me...😉😉😉
Thank you for sharing.,