Welding a hydraulic anchor point

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #51  
Thanks Pedro. That's what we needed. I agree the tabs could be properly welded and they would stay. With that said, it would also be easy to brace them with pie shaped pieces and triple the strength pretty quick.

I don’t imagine those tabs will ever stay. Even if a good welder welded them. The boom skin isn’t that thick. It will just deform or tear it if the tab doesn’t break first.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #52  
Wouldn’t take much to greatly to strengthen the original design. Then be able to make repairs on similar mounting anchors if required.

Without knowing the OP skills and resources hard to be specific. Looks like a fun project to gain some skills and enjoy your success. We all had to start somewhere.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #53  
That's a cute little hoe. I agree with the previous comments. A doubler on the boom and a longer ear on the boom would be great improvements. I would support the boom and bucket cylinder mounts while the welder was fired up.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #54  
I don’t imagine those tabs will ever stay. Even if a good welder welded them. The boom skin isn’t that thick. It will just deform or tear it if the tab doesn’t break first.
Very possible. Which is probably what happened in the first failure.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #55  
I'm of the build it stout school;
Just guessing as to the dimensions of those flat stock ears.
But I would definitely call it less then 4" tall and 2" wide and likely 3/8" thick.
I would get a couple of pieces of 3/8" angle iron x 4 or whatever the height is,
cut the bottoms to length to fit the boom width make them say 3" long.
Set them on the boom with the L's facing out from the center of the boom,
use a bolt the right diameter to fit the pin hole and bolt the L's to the cylinder tang
with a couple of washers for freeplay and weld it down remove the bolt and washers
install the pin hit it with some paint and call it a day.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #56  
I agree also that is a cute little hoe, but it’s closer to glorified shovel than it is to a real backhoe. That being said it will save your back on little projects.

If it was mine I would cut some 3/8”plate roughly 8 inches long and cut it to the rounded profile of the boom and fillet weld it all around for the new ears to grab the cylinder. It will never break there again……it will break somewhere else though.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #57  
I agree also that is a cute little hoe, but it’s closer to glorified shovel than it is to a real backhoe. That being said it will save your back on little projects.

If it was mine I would cut some 3/8”plate roughly 8 inches long and cut it to the rounded profile of the boom and fillet weld it all around for the new ears to grab the cylinder. It will never break there again……it will break somewhere else though.
The backhoe's abilities are measured in whether you have ahold of the shovel handle or not. For the OP, it beats the H out of the shovel handle. Might not be the case for you.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #58  
Im no expert either with backhoes or welding but I have a Kubota with a backhoe and I have a 110v flux core machine that I have really stretched the limits of (tons of preheat, upgraded ground cable/clamp, etc) and it STILL won't do what really needs to be done there.

I don't think the fact that the backhoe is small really matters that much because if the pressure in that circuit is high enough and you manage to get the tractor/hoe between a rock and a hard place it will push/pull until that mount breaks. Just because its a small tractor and a small backhoe bucket doesn't mean you cant use the hoe in a way that is pulling the tractor against the ground and pulling up on something that isn't going to move. At that point the only reason that mount WOULDNT fail would be if the pressure relief in the hoe circuit was set low. We don't know that..

If i was to hire someone to fix that I'd have them improve the boom lift one too. All the other ones look fine to me.

I have a b6100 with a loader and i was planning to build a backhoe for it until i got a crazy deal on a b8200 that already had a backhoe on it. I'm really surprised how tiny this little backhoe on the b6000 is, ive never actually seen one that small. Looks like it might dig to about 5 feet? Im curious to see more of how it's attached to the tractor.

The one on my b8200 digs to 6.5ft and i think it's too small (they also sold b8200 with a 7.5ft model) and if i were to continue my original plan to build something for the b6100 id be shooting for a 7.5ft+ reach/dig.it Unlike some people on this forum I have used a borrowed mini-ex and it did not remove all desire to have a tractor backhoe, or have a better one!

Last edited:
   / Welding a hydraulic anchor point
Maybe. The real question is are you good enough?
I ended up taking it to a pro who fabricated new attaching moints and welded a reingorcing plate the welded er all up. Now i can lift the rear of the tractor with the bucket so should be good now

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point
Im no expert either with backhoes or welding but I have a Kubota with a backhoe and I have a 110v flux core machine that I have really stretched the limits of (tons of preheat, upgraded ground cable/clamp, etc) and it STILL won't do what really needs to be done there.

I don't think the fact that the backhoe is small really matters that much because if the pressure in that circuit is high enough and you manage to get the tractor/hoe between a rock and a hard place it will push/pull until that mount breaks. Just because its a small tractor and a small backhoe bucket doesn't mean you cant use the hoe in a way that is pulling the tractor against the ground and pulling up on something that isn't going to move. At that point the only reason that mount WOULDNT fail would be if the pressure relief in the hoe circuit was set low. We don't know that..

If i was to hire someone to fix that I'd have them improve the boom lift one too. All the other ones look fine to me.

I have a b6100 with a loader and i was planning to build a backhoe for it until i got a crazy deal on a b8200 that already had a backhoe on it. I'm really surprised how tiny this little backhoe on the b6000 is, ive never actually seen one that small. Looks like it might dig to about 5 feet? Im curious to see more of how it's attached to the tractor.

The one on my b8200 digs to 6.5ft and i think it's too small (they also sold b8200 with a 7.5ft model) and if i were to continue my original plan to build something for the b6100 id be shooting for a 7.5ft+ reach/dig.it Unlike some people on this forum I have used a borrowed mini-ex and it did not remove all desire to have a tractor backhoe, or have a better one!

Attachments

• 20211231_100126.jpg
    20211231_100126.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
  • 20211231_100119.jpg
    20211231_100119.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 146