Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #71  
My 2010 BMW 335d has the venerable BMW M57 twin Turbo inline six diesel, it is such a sweet sounding engine with the turbo whistle. And when it is ABC deleted and tuned to 350hp/550Tq in a 3500# sedan makes it for a FUN drive.

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #72  
Personally I can't wait for this engine to appear in the Wrangler, and I hope it works out well and is very dependable. I've been wanting to buy a new Wrangler for years now but have been unhappy with the engine choices. My current Wrangler is a 2006 - one of the last built with the old straight-6 "tractor" engine. Superb off-road engine - low-end torque that starts right at idle - but it runs out of breath at highway speeds. According to the specs this new engine will put out as much torque as the Cummins 5.9 in my truck; if they tune it so that torque is available below 2000 rpm it will be wonderful.

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #73  
Personally I can't wait for this engine to appear in the Wrangler, and I hope it works out well and is very dependable. I've been wanting to buy a new Wrangler for years now but have been unhappy with the engine choices. My current Wrangler is a 2006 - one of the last built with the old straight-6 "tractor" engine. Superb off-road engine - low-end torque that starts right at idle - but it runs out of breath at highway speeds. According to the specs this new engine will put out as much torque as the Cummins 5.9 in my truck; if they tune it so that torque is available below 2000 rpm it will be wonderful.
Well stated. I've got an '05 with the straight six. Love the engine. But a bit under powered on the highway. I'm on 33" tires with 3.73 gears, Auto Trans. I turn off the OD as soon as I get in. :)

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #74  
Sounds like a good engine. Inline 6 cylinders typically make more torque than their V brothers. Typically.
Look at what's in a Kenworth.

Turbo engines typically make a lot of power at lower Rpms. So if you're looking for low-end grunt, you're gonna get it. Probably.

What matters. A lot. Is what transmission is in it. My buddy has a 3.5L EcoBeast with the 10-speed and, I'm telling you true -- It's scary fast. And has more low end torque than it needs.

I'd like to see some competition to Ford in the pickup field. gm is -- Well. gm. Ram does a good job but they're kind of behind the times. By about 20 years. At least they're not stuck in the 50's

Personally, I pass on the first year or so of a new engine. Experience has taught me that but, anymore the OEM doesn't like recalls. It can ruin their profit for an entire lineup

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #75  
Sounds like a good engine. Inline 6 cylinders typically make more torque than their V brothers. Typically.
Look at what's in a Kenworth.

Turbo engines typically make a lot of power at lower Rpms. So if you're looking for low-end grunt, you're gonna get it. Probably.

What matters. A lot. Is what transmission is in it. My buddy has a 3.5L EcoBeast with the 10-speed and, I'm telling you true -- It's scary fast. And has more low end torque than it needs.

I'd like to see some competition to Ford in the pickup field. gm is -- Well. gm. Ram does a good job but they're kind of behind the times. By about 20 years. At least they're not stuck in the 50's

Personally, I pass on the first year or so of a new engine. Experience has taught me that but, anymore the OEM doesn't like recalls. It can ruin their profit for an entire lineup

torque is a function of bore x stroke...not cylinder configuration. Inline motors usually have a longer stroke, which gives them an advantage in torque. However a long stoke is bad for RPM's So it's always a trade off.

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #76  
I've owned a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 "Ecobeast" engine for 6 years now, best truck I've ever owned. Overall fuel mileage since new is 20.7 mpg, and that's calculated by a spreadsheet, not the dash display. Closest gas engine to a diesel you can buy - the thing never needs to shift down going up mountain passes. Gobs of low end torque, and all I've had to do in 6 years is change the oil and rotate the tires. No doubt Toyota has taken note, so the new Tundra is now also a twin-turbo 3.5 gas V6. Figures Toyota puts out show it makes even more torque - something like 575 lb-ft!!! - than the Ford engine.

The transmission is why I want a new Wrangler. I've heard nothing but good things about the 8 speed auto in the new Wranglers. My Wrangler has the 6 speed manual and at my age and with my knees I need to do something different. Some of the primitive roads I drive I have to shift 10 times in a quarter of a mile as I negotiate washouts and boulders and the manual just ain't makin' it anymore!

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #77  
The transmission is why I want a new Wrangler. I've heard nothing but good things about the 8 speed auto in the new Wranglers. My Wrangler has the 6 speed manual and at my age and with my knees I need to do something different. Some of the primitive roads I drive I have to shift 10 times in a quarter of a mile as I negotiate washouts and boulders and the manual just ain't makin' it anymore!
Today's Automatic Transmissions are the dirty little secret. They allow these small displacement engines to perform.

The biggest drawback to my 20 year old Super Duty trucks are the 4spd auto transmissions. Right behind that is the 4spd auto trans in my '05 Wrangler.

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #78  
Its the turbocharging.
Creates way more low end torque. Add a turbo to a Diesel engine and compare it to the power output of a NA diesel. The torque increases bigly.
The new 8-10 speed transmissions and all the gears is for fuel efficiency.

Last edited:
   / Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #79  
Its the turbocharging.
Creates way more low end torque.
The new 8-10 speed transmissions and all the gears is for fuel efficiency.
So my old SD would only benefit from an 8spd in fuel efficiency?

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #80  
It's the Direct Injection, VVT, CGI, and a better understanding of thermal dynamics that is driving the ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.