New Purchase

/ New Purchase
Weight and engine power.
I’m actually going to recommend you take a loo at the MX as it’s larger size will help with stability in your terrain, it is larger than the L but not really taller so you’ll also have more stability there, and if you plan on feeding rounds or large squares you’ll have way more confidence moving and stacking with the weight of the MX and the 1065 (~2300lb capacity) fell than you will with the L and it’s 525 (~1100lb capacity). Just because it will lift an object doesn’t mean it won’t prematurely wear out carrying it around and bouncing through a field or down a dirt road.
The MX is certainly a bad ass tractor, but I priced it out and it just doesn't make sense for my budget. We're only planning to have three or perhaps four horses here at the most so realistically we can feed using a two wheel wheelbarrow without too much effort.

I need a tractor, no question since I don't want to use wheelbarrow and shovel to move gravel. That's the biggest must have, but even the ability to move a single wheelbarrow worth in the bucket at a time is plenty of capacity there. (500lbs or so). I think it'll be more cost effective to maintain the driveway myself instead of hiring that out since I already need a tractor for gravel. I need a mower for sure, and bundling that with the tractor seems to make sense given I've got about 2 acres worth of mowing to do. Something like 4 acres worth of pasture.

I am interested in stability on the hillside and making sure I have enough power going uphill. That was the main reason I decided the BX series was likely not the right choice.

Some pictures below to show size and slope. Even more detail here: https://www.redfin.com/OR/St-Helens/32503-Pittsburg-Rd-97051/home/25965190

property1.png

property2.png

Last edited:
   / New Purchase #22  
The MX is certainly a bad ass tractor, but I priced it out and it just doesn't make sense for my budget. We're only planning to have three or perhaps four horses here at the most so realistically we can feed using a two wheel wheelbarrow without too much effort.

I need a tractor, no question since I don't want to use wheelbarrow and shovel to move gravel. That's the biggest must have, but even the ability to move a single wheelbarrow worth in the bucket at a time is plenty of capacity there. (500lbs or so). I think it'll be more cost effective to maintain the driveway myself instead of hiring that out since I already need a tractor for gravel. I need a mower for sure, and bundling that with the tractor seems to make sense given I've got about 2 acres worth of mowing to do. Something like 4 acres worth of pasture.

I am interested in stability on the hillside and making sure I have enough power going uphill. That was the main reason I decided the BX series was likely not the right choice.

Some pictures below to show size and slope. Even more detail here: https://www.redfin.com/OR/St-Helens/32503-Pittsburg-Rd-97051/home/25965190

View attachment 741562

View attachment 741563
It's really interesting to me to see the differences in the way houses are built in other parts of the country. There are no houses out here in my part of the country that look like that. Everything is different and has it's own style and personality.

As far as what you think you will need, it seems to me that you already have a pretty good handle on it. Maybe at this point the best thing for you to do is to pay your nearest dealer a visit and demo some tractors. Show him these pictures of your property as well and see what he says. Let us know if we can be of any further help and report back what you decide to go with.

/ New Purchase #23  

Originally you stated:
Money is flexible. I can afford whatever I decide on, but it's only six acres, no need to go crazy. I'd prefer to finance rather than pay cash for such a large purchase. My day job is incredibly busy so I'm planning to buy all new. I don't have a lot of time to spend wrenching on something used, at least not right away.

Which is the reason we are finding it so easy to spend your money. :geek:

The suggestion to test drive a few models is probably what will decide for you and your wife the size of tractor you will purchase.

I would also suggest having the Kubota salesman go through the process of removing and installing a Mid mount mower to see if that will even be a consideration.

/ New Purchase #24  
IMO, let your lawnmower be a lawnmower and your tractor be a tractor.

Test driving at the dealership might be somewhat helpful, but how is that tractor going to work grading your driveway or moving a manure pile? The important question is how it will serve your intended use.

If you have no prior tractor experience, have you considered renting a unit for a day to try at your new place before you commit to a large purchase?

/ New Purchase
Which is the reason we are finding it so easy to spend your money. :geek:

The suggestion to test drive a few models is probably what will decide for you and your wife the size of tractor you will purchase.

I would also suggest having the Kubota salesman go through the process of removing and installing a Mid mount mower to see if that will even be a consideration.
Fair point. I could buy an MX if I really wanted one but I don't think it would be a good use of funds, lots of other stuff to buy around here. The tractor itself is reasonable but when you throw in implements it got over $70k. Not mention I was already in sticker shock over the smaller sizes given that I've never bought a tractor before. I was just trying to point out that it's not going to be a "work" tractor in any sense of the word. Also, I need to park the darn thing somewhere so that's a consideration. Haven't really got a clue what I'm doing yet, just doing a lot of reading and watching videos. I've basically been thinking what's the smallest tractor that would do the job, then go one size larger. I appreciate all the feedback.

Can someone explain how I should be thinking about stability given the slope? Is that just a factor of weight and wheel base or is there more going on there?

/ New Purchase #26  

View attachment 741562

View attachment 741563
That's a nice looking place, yeah I'm not seeing 200' elevation change in those six acres but always hard to tell from pictures. If you have no intention of hauling rounds then a B or L is probably what you need. BX could work but it will be sooooooo slloooowwwww, it travels about walking speed so gonna take you a few minutes just to drive across your yard which is a real pain if your moving gravel or something 200 lbs at a time.

/ New Purchase #27  
Originally you stated:

Two things I will never have for a tractor again, mid mount mower and rear finish mower. Such slow/painful/not that great of a cut mowing.

/ New Purchase #28  
Fair point. I could buy an MX if I really wanted one but I don't think it would be a good use of funds, lots of other stuff to buy around here. The tractor itself is reasonable but when you throw in implements it got over $70k. Not mention I was already in sticker shock over the smaller sizes given that I've never bought a tractor before. I was just trying to point out that it's not going to be a "work" tractor in any sense of the word. Also, I need to park the darn thing somewhere so that's a consideration. Haven't really got a clue what I'm doing yet, just doing a lot of reading and watching videos. I've basically been thinking what's the smallest tractor that would do the job, then go one size larger. I appreciate all the feedback.

Can someone explain how I should be thinking about stability given the slope? Is that just a factor of weight and wheel base or is there more going on there?
Tractors are very unstable on anything other than level ground, the center of gravity is very high compared to something like a car or four wheeler. Lots of folks have died in tractor rollovers (I don't think there is a modern tractor available without ROPS? Which I don't trust for a full roll over but maybe it would slow the tractor down enough from going all the way over you could escape). The narrower the tractor the worse it will be, especially if there are any potholes or obstacles, so you want a very wide stance for stability.

/ New Purchase
IMO, let your lawnmower be a lawnmower and your tractor be a tractor.
I've been thinking more in terms of a Swiss army knife given my limited needs.

Test driving at the dealership might be somewhat helpful, but how is that tractor going to work grading your driveway or moving a manure pile? The important question is how it will serve your intended use.

If you have no prior tractor experience, have you considered renting a unit for a day to try at your new place before you commit to a large purchase?
I hadn't, that's an interesting idea.

Pricing wise it seems like the B, LX and L are all within a reasonable range. The issue is that with the L I'd have to use a pull behind mower or buy a separate mowing machine. I'm not confident my tractor driving skills are sufficient to use something like a rotary cutter in the area around the house. If we throw in a separate mowing machine then the total package price goes up.

/ New Purchase #30  
There are many factors that come into play when trying to use a tractor on a slope. One thing that can kill you quickly is having a load in the front bucket high in the air on the wrong slope. You also have varying terrain under each of your wheels which can radically affect the stability of your tractor. NO quick turns on a slope. Don't go fast on a slope. This is not something to learn by trial and error.

There are a lot of threads here that go into more details. This is probably the #1 tractor safety issue you need to educate yourself about. #2 is to be extremely careful with the PTO because a spinning PTO can snag hair or clothing and rip off body parts in a second.

Happened to read an accident report study yesterday. They said that one of the problems is people in the accidents couldn't judge the severity of the slope they were trying to work on. They were actually worse at judging severe slopes.

None of us really know what slopes you actually have. There might be an app for your phone that will tell you the degree of slopes you have. Or you can buy a Husky digital level at Home Depot that works pretty well. 205999357