Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #21  
As squirrelly as they can get at 3-4 feet I can't imagine going even higher.
I have the 4 foot jack. Unless you're using it as a winch, stay with the 4 footer.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #22  
I carry a 12 ton bottle jack and a more power puller now , several times in the past a hilift jack caused more trouble than the original problem. I do have several but they are normally used as spreaders or clamps.
A 3 ton 30 ft more power puller is the thing to have and my horse trailer weighs 9000lbs empty so the 12 ton bottle jack is the safest thing.

More Power Puller is a hoss. There was one at the house when I came into this world 52 years ago. Hi Lift jacks are okay if you have bumpers on each end. I carry a shorty hydraulic jack and a regular. An assortment of blocks. The factory jack makes me want to cry.

Hi Lift is still good for many things.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..
Why are you wanting to start arguments?? Quoting your first comment in this thread. Thanks.
It seems to be the way of the world today—- I am just trying to fit in. . .

Do you plan to lift with it or use it for a winch? If the latter, the extra foot is worth having. But then, why not just buy a real winch? Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with Wire Cable About the time that you need lift something 4 feet into the air, something's gone seriously wrong! If you need that extra 12" of height, expect it to lean, and you probably will end up with a permanent bow in the bar.

Many, if not most of my coworkers won't even keep one in the truck; there are too many things which can go wrong. Instead, they prefer a hydraulic floor jack, and some also carry chains and a come along like the one in my link above.

I have a 5 foot jack but don't see the advantage over a 4 foot, for the reasons listed above. I also carry one of the power pullers I linked above along with plenty of chain, plus a chain saw. As time goes on though I've gotten tired of using the above so my trucks are now equipped with another handy feature... reverse!
I much prefer a good floor Jack, but they don’t perform all that well on anything other than concrete, or cold asphalt.

More Power Puller is a hoss. There was one at the house when I came into this world 52 years ago. Hi Lift jacks are okay if you have bumpers on each end. I carry a shorty hydraulic jack and a regular. An assortment of blocks. The factory jack makes me want to cry.

Hi Lift is still good for many things.
I will look into the MP, too

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #27  
It seems to be the way of the world today—- I am just trying to fit in. . .
I took your post#1 as humor too. Almost every single TBN thread ends up as an argument.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #28  
God bless ya, I have done a lot of interesting things I shouldn't have, and never worried much about most of it........... but, Those damn jacks scare the crap out of me to this day.

Best,

ed

I read a lot of posts about those jacks because they were invented and are manufactured just down the road from here. Seems like, all other things being equal, buying a third world knockoff would be even riskier. My stereotype of knockoffs in general is some distributor ships a real one overseas and says, "How much for 10,000 of something that looks like this?" New source can only measure the real one but has no concept of acceptable tolerances, metallurgy, etc that the OEM has learned the hard way.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #29  
I read a lot of posts about those jacks because they were invented and are manufactured just down the road from here. Seems like, all other things being equal, buying a third world knockoff would be even riskier. My stereotype of knockoffs in general is some distributor ships a real one overseas and says, "How much for 10,000 of something that looks like this?" New source can only measure the real one but has no concept of acceptable tolerances, metallurgy, etc that the OEM has learned the hard way.
I have said for several years, it's not the overseas manufacturer that's the problem. The problem is the specifications given to the overseas manufacturer by our own American companies. The intent to increase their profit margin. A few proud American companies retain their standard. But most fall prey to profitability.....

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #30  
I have said for several years, it's not the overseas manufacturer that's the problem. The problem is the specifications given to the overseas manufacturer by our own American companies. The intent to increase their profit margin. A few proud American companies retain their standard. But most fall prey to profitability.....

Because their hand is forced when Wallyworld or some large distributor has a reverse auction to see who the low bidder is that gets sold in their store, the cheap one wins. Go cheap and off shore or go home.

...because American consumers are “Why should I pay more?“
…never mind quality or preserving a manufacturing base.

But back to OP: Can’t you use a block, rock, or anything under jack if it’s too short? I have a 10 ton jack that’s about 2’ high that I’ve used to swap out ~9’ house posts (columns).

Last edited: