Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #11  
Future_vision,

How many holes, of what dia, of what depth, in what soil, and in what terrain?

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?
Your fears are baseless.

I purchased the Bucket Solution's (brand) Bucket Spade twelve years ago.

I have used the Bucket Spade for planting trees and excavating Palmettos, other palms and grossly overgrown twenty-year old Blueberry bushes for ten years on the L3560 bucket. Certainly at least 1,500 in number. The Bucket Spade appears as new. The bucket has minor paint scuffs where the spade pads compress.

In my opinion the optimal bare tractor weight for utilizing a Bucket Spade is 3,700 to 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight. Hydraulic power is of secondary importance in operating a Bucket Spade. Tractor weight is the most important factor as the spade is driven into ground with tractor wheel power. After first insertion the ground is loose.

The spade is 18" wide, billet forged, not stamped; weighs 110 pounds. A little ponderous for my 75 year old body to attach.

Minimal storage space required when spade is off the FEL bucket.

Being able to dig tree planting holes in front of the tractor, then move the tractor normally between digs is efficient.

Bucket Spade opinions posted on T-B-N from those that own them and use them are favorable. I seem to be the most frequent Bucket Spade user posting here.

Can't seem to get Bucket Solution's website to load. Unfortunately, no spades for sale near me either new or used. There is Amazon I guess. Titan Attachments has a couple of styles but no guarantee they will be here before the weekend.

Last edited:
   / Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?
Future_vision,

How many holes, of what dia, of what depth, in what soil, and in what terrain?
So these are 1-2 gallon pots. Not really sure the exact size. Soil is mostly loam with rocks. Sometimes big rocks. I probably need to go down at least a 12-18 inches. Maybe 24. diameter I would say 16 inches to be safe.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #14  
I'm looking at planting a row of bushes. My first inclination was a hand-held auger but that might be a rough go with holes maybe getting to 10". I could use a smaller bit and drill multiple holes and try and combine them into a larger hole but when you are talking something like 50+ holes like that....meh!. Then I started thinking that maybe a tiller for my tractor might work but those only go so deep and I still need to move the dirt out of the ditch. If I had my backhoe(on order) then I guess that would be an easy solution. Other then those options anyone have any other ideas for relatively inexpensive ways to dig these holes? Would a trencher be an option?
A digging spade...lol

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #16  
Physical exercise is always a good thing and you may need it...

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #17  
Mini excavator! Wife brought home a couple of grape vines in two gallon pot. She said go get the excavator, so I did !

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #18  
1-2 gal pot's? They are only 6" tops in diameter. I use a 9" auger for those, a 12" auger for 3 gal pots. For bigger trees, I usually do 3 holes, in a triangle pattern, each hole almost touching. I have done holes almost 3' across using the 12" auger.

Do you have a tiller already? If not, they are probably 3-4 times more expensive than a post hole digger. A PHD can be had for about $8-850 w/ an auger.

How far apart are the holes / bushes going to be? If only a couple feet, using a plow would probably work. If they are further apart, you'll be moving / digging a lost more dirt than you have to. Plus, you'll still be digging some by hand.

A rented hand auger would work and get the job done, but be prepared to get beat up and tired. It will also take what seems to be forever.....

I think a PHD would be the easiest to accomplish what you need. You can also sell it very close to what you paid for it after your done.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #19  
Tractor supply has county line phd for less than 600. Add another 150-190 per auger depending on size.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #20  
So these are 1-2 gallon pots. Not really sure the exact size. Soil is mostly loam with rocks. Sometimes big rocks. I probably need to go down at least a 12-18 inches. Maybe 24. diameter I would say 16 inches to be safe.
1 gallon pots are less than 7” across.
2 gallon pots are less than 9” across.

If you soil is loam, a hand post hole digger would be quicker in the pictures you posted for moving around in the debris, than trying to maneuver a machine in there.

I have sandy loam and can dig a 10” hole a foot deep in about a minute with a post hole digger. I’d guess I could dig 50 holes like that, plant the bushes and be done in about half a day.