Cab tractor for around the home?

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #41  
"Get an open station, it will be fun" they said. This was me this weekend on a side job mowing 6 acres with a 68'' Flail mower.
293426068_10158770351515983_2875541305534083093_n.jpg

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #42  
"Get an open station, it will be fun" they said. This was me this weekend on a side job mowing 6 acres with a 68'' Flail mower.
View attachment 754942
I've had mine look like that from pollen instead of dust.

Still not something I want to be covered in on an open station.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #43  
better check your air filters...

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #45  
I used to wear an eskimo suit when plowing with my open station tractor. This is my view now, plowing at -5F in a T shirt.

IMG_1265a.jpg

No brainer.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #46  
It would be kinda rough for someone in
an oper cab trying to plow at them temps
Many Many moons ago when I lived in the
city had an 8hp snow blower and the drive
way always filled in with snow and the snow
was higher than the snow blower but I would
start in the center of the drive way wearing a
snowmobile suit, helmet, goggles sorrel boots
it would take a couple of hours to clean it out
then I purchased a riding mower and snow blower
from sears and the belt would not stay on so
returned it. A small tractor with a blower would
have been nice, now believe its been over 5 years
that I have seen snow. Also have tractor with cab
wouldn't be with out one. Temps have been 110
last few days with an open cab would be well done
and covered in dust as we haven't had rain for weeks

willy

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #47  
I have read many threads on cab vs no cab and the basic consensus is that if you can afford a cab you should get a cab. My question is, if the primary use for a tractor was going to be for around the home would a cab be annoying? I plan to use the tractor mostly around my yard and shop and also on a hunting property. Although it will get used at the hunting property a couple times a month it will mostly be used at the house.

Around the house: Moving pallets, assisting with vehicle work (lifting motors, moving axles, etc), landscaping, garden etc. A lot of these tasks are going to require a lot of on and off the tractor which is making me thick a cab could get annoying.

Hunting Property: Food Plots, landscaping/ponds (puddles/watering hole), wood cutting, etc.

I do have a need for snow removal but I can snowplow with my Jeep. I have a few acres of fields to do. I would like to expand upon this but nothing is in the works now so I can't really plan for it. My thought is that I would maybe be better off to go with a smaller tractor now and a second larger cab tractor later if my need for field work ever increases beyond the couple acres of field work I have now.

The best answer is that your usage situation and personal preferences will dictate what you get.

- If you get on and off the tractor a lot, it is much easier to get on and off of an open station tractor than one with a cab. It is particularly a pain in the behind to try to hook up some non-quick-hitch mounted implement with a cabbed tractor vs. an open station tractor as you are constantly in and out of the cab.
- Visibility ranges from a little bit better to a whole lot better on an open station machine.
- You can hear things a whole lot better with an open station machine. This includes both things that you want to hear such as some new/different sound with your implements, as well as general noise you don't want to hear.
- An open station machine, particularly with a foldable ROPS, can fit into low-clearance areas such as under trees or in low buildings a cabbed machine cannot go into.
- If you are doing something dusty, a cab can keep the dust off of you but the dust can dirty up the windows to the point you can't see well, and you may have to clean out the cab air filters frequently operating in those conditions.
- Speaking of air conditioning, unless your A/C is top-notch it will get far hotter in a cab than an open station machine, even if you pop all of the cab windows open.
- Operating around trees is a mixed bag, the cab can keep the branches from whapping you (good) but they can break windows (very expensive.)
- It is often easier to work on an open station tractor due to no cab being in the way of getting at the major components behind the firewall.

I chose an open station unit mainly due to the better visibility and that it really isn't a big deal to not have a cab. I know, I've run cabbed tractors. I put a couple hundred hours a year on my tractor, much of it brush hogging and haying. It is considerably cooler and less dusty running an open station tractor than it is bucking bales, digging fence posts where it's too rocky for the post hole auger to dig in, or any one of a bunch of other tasks around a farm. It is rarely hotter or dustier in running an open station tractor than it is running a riding lawnmower in the summer, and few really complain about doing that. I would likely only have a cabbed tractor if I got one north of about 150 HP where there is no choice but to get a cab as they don't make open station tractors that large.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #48  
The best answer is that your usage situation and personal preferences will dictate what you get.

- If you get on and off the tractor a lot, it is much easier to get on and off of an open station tractor than one with a cab. It is particularly a pain in the behind to try to hook up some non-quick-hitch mounted implement with a cabbed tractor vs. an open station tractor as you are constantly in and out of the cab.
- Visibility ranges from a little bit better to a whole lot better on an open station machine.
- You can hear things a whole lot better with an open station machine. This includes both things that you want to hear such as some new/different sound with your implements, as well as general noise you don't want to hear.
- An open station machine, particularly with a foldable ROPS, can fit into low-clearance areas such as under trees or in low buildings a cabbed machine cannot go into.
- If you are doing something dusty, a cab can keep the dust off of you but the dust can dirty up the windows to the point you can't see well, and you may have to clean out the cab air filters frequently operating in those conditions.
- Speaking of air conditioning, unless your A/C is top-notch it will get far hotter in a cab than an open station machine, even if you pop all of the cab windows open.
- Operating around trees is a mixed bag, the cab can keep the branches from whapping you (good) but they can break windows (very expensive.)
- It is often easier to work on an open station tractor due to no cab being in the way of getting at the major components behind the firewall.

I chose an open station unit mainly due to the better visibility and that it really isn't a big deal to not have a cab. I know, I've run cabbed tractors. I put a couple hundred hours a year on my tractor, much of it brush hogging and haying. It is considerably cooler and less dusty running an open station tractor than it is bucking bales, digging fence posts where it's too rocky for the post hole auger to dig in, or any one of a bunch of other tasks around a farm. It is rarely hotter or dustier in running an open station tractor than it is running a riding lawnmower in the summer, and few really complain about doing that. I would likely only have a cabbed tractor if I got one north of about 150 HP where there is no choice but to get a cab as they don't make open station tractors that large.
Cab tractors usually have a way to operate the 3 pt from outside the cab.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #49  
Cab tractors usually have a way to operate the 3 pt from outside the cab.

Depends on the tractor. I've used some cabbed tractors that do, I've used some that don't.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #50  
We use the "more tractors the better", but in my experience, if you are in good health, good mobility, ease/difficulty of mounting/dismounting of cab v open station is really not all that significant. As to trees, I added limb risers and cab guards to prevent damage.
Forgive my ignorance, What are limb risers and cab guards?