Plugging in generator to your house dangerous?

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #41  
How do you stop someone from flipping the emergency breaker ON, when the main in ON?
Padlock, lock out tag out is what they call it. You can get at most any place that sells electrical supplies.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #42  
This has been discussed so much, and I got reprimanded for my reply until I proved it's safe, no chance of feedback and living here 43 years and being without power maybe an average of an hour a year this works. I only connect my 9kW generator if I know power will be out for more than maybe 5-6 hours.
1) turn all breakers off...house, garage, stable.
2) roll generator to garage under overhang, out of weather but outside.
3) "suicide" cord generator to garage 240v welder outlet.
4) after gas/oil check run generator
5) welder and main garage breaker on only.
6) at house panel garage breaker on...then only what's needed, well, furnaces power, fridge, hot water heater. Stoves are LP. Main incoming through meter breaker STAYS OFF.
7) I check meter...if/when on, all breakers off, generator off.
8) unplug "suicide" cable...remember...all breakers and generator are OFF.
9) breakers back on garage, house main then other house breakers (no surge).
10) once cool, generator put away.
Now...I'm waiting for screams! No...my wife is very intelligent, she doesn't mess with things. No...we don't have unexpected neighbors, friends, family stop over flipping breakers with generator running.
And no...I'm not installing a disconnect to be used once every 10 years. And yes...I'll be happy providing anyone my county's inspection department or service provider's numbers providing it will be recorded so I can hear them making a dam fool of themselves!
No...I have no empathy for the UN-electrocuted workers since it's impossible for them to be harmed.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #43  
I mean I've hooked up Megawatt generators this way. Just have discipline. Rack out the breakers when needed. Hang grounds 600v and above. So on and so forth.

But the average home owner is lucky to be able to know not to run a generator in a garage with the door shut
We try to be above average on this site. Encourage and teach others to be above average.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #46  
So if both padlocks are removed, will that keep one from having both breakers engaged?
No, you can turn the breakers however you need them. Then lock everyone else out so they can't change it.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #49  
The electrical supply provider's will have some very strict concise rules in place for adding an outsourced power supply. If you are found in abeyance of these rules you will find your only power source will be whatever you can provide. It will not be the electrical supply company.
It is not difficult to use a double ended plug to feed your box Providing the 120 and 240 are looked after.
The safety of the Linemen is the reason system a system bypass is illegal!

Last edited:
   / Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #50  
can hear them making a dam fool of themselves!
emoji38.png
emoji1787.png
emoji23.png

No...I have no empathy for the UN-electrocuted workers since it's impossible for them to be harmed.
emoji38.png

A classic Statement just before “OPP’S”